“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #24 of 2,310 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Karczma is a traditional Polish restaurant, bar and grill located in the heart of Birmingham, just 5min walk from both the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Moor Street Rail Station. Restaurant is decorated in the style of an old Polish country cottage seating 85 people across 2 rooms. The menu is designed to reflect a homely, hearty and rustic food that's quintessentially Polish, and prepared using only the very best quality ingredients. The menu contains numerous Polish classics including Pierogi (stuffed dumplings), Berszcz (Beetroot soup), Pickled Herring, Zurek (Pickled Rye Flour Soup) served from a hollowed out loaf of bread, as well as a whole host of grilled meats and fish. We wish you a pleasant stay and Enjoy !!!
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my friend. We were impressed by warm and traditional interiors. Very friendly and helpful staff.
I ordered chicken livers. Served with potato and salad. My friend had beef stew in potato pancake. Both meals were absolutely amazing.
The only downsides are: menu written in very poor English (menu on the website has many spelling mistakes, and descriptions of the dishes are confusing, and hard to understand), and the toilet which is very disappointing.
Overall, great place to visit, offering delicious, rare to taste in Birmingham, food.
And there is one think I would like to find on the menu in future. Some sort of share platter of starters, for diners visiting in groups.

I'll be visiting The Karczma more often, with my friends.

the k, Owner at The Karczma, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you very much for visiting our restaurant. We hope that we have fulfilled the requirements of your Polish food. Looking to the futur

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This restaurant is gorgeous inside with fantastic food and service. Absolutely recommend eating there!

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This places look exceptionally uninviting from the outside! Don't let it put you off. Upon walking through the door you enter a bizarrely decorated restaurant - polish themed it would seem - very endearing and unusual. Fabulously friendly staff helped us with the menu - great beer and meaty food followed. We had a starter and main and couldn't finish the main. The beef stew with potato pancake was particularly amazing, as was the starter of soup in a loaf of bread , the "king of polish soups" according to the waiter. A bit over £50 for both of us, we'll worth it. Would go back!!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The location is not where I would expect to find a great restaurant so it was a welcome and unexpected surprise to have such a nice meal. Rather than just a meal this was an experience which was enhanced by the décor and friendly waiting staff. Free bread, pickles (possibly the biggest gherkins I have ever seen), and a tasty 'mushy stuff' that I didn't catch the name of was offered before our starters. The borscht soup was not at all what I expected, it was broth-like and full of flavour. It was served with mushroom croquets which complimented the broth well. The main courses were massive. Most people struggled to finish and the majority could not contemplate a pudding. I had the beef olives which were good but I must admit that my neighbours stew and potato pancake looked even better. Just a small case of food envy. Great coffee to end the evening. Would recommend if you are looking for something slightly different.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I have walked past here numerous times and often wondered what it's like. We decided to book a table with friends on a Saturday night. Once inside we were greeted and taken to our table, the decor does seem a little dated but it adds to the atmosphere in my opinion.

I decided to try Sheeps cheese with bacon which was nice and very substantial. Then came my main which was the beef stew served inside crispy fried potato. This was delicious and the meat was extremely tender. The portion was very large so unfortunately I wasn't able to finish it all.

It's quite easy to fill yourself up on the bread etc that's available free of charge. So try to have a small amount so you can really enjoy and finish your courses.

Overall we had a lovely evening and will definitely return. It's lovely to eat authentic Polish food in the heart of Birmingham.