“Unique experience”

Ranked #28 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Denbigh, United Kingdom
“Unique experience”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spent just one night at the hotel in The Cube as part of a birthday present for my wife. Stayed on 23rd floor in room with balcony. Bit daft really as it was under 12 inches of snow! Anyway, room was great, very warm and the facilities were excellent. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The complimentart mini bar was really appreciated, as was the bar on the 25th floor with amazing views over a snow covered Birmingham.
We walked along the snow covered towpath to the NIA and it was magical. Excellent location.
Finally all of the staff were extremely friendly and very welcoming, always with a smile.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve L
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Steve L,

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us.
Our beds are indeed very comfy. Very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Maybe when you return in the future and the British weather is nice to us you might enjoy the Balcony room even more? Do not hesitate to contact me whenever you wish to return suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Firstly-the parking. When did the relatively simple process of parking ones car become so complicated? When a hotel has to ring you for your e-mail address in order to send you a link to a YouTube video (yes, YOUTUBE), to show you how their car park works you know your in for something different. They even give you a list of instructions when you check in! I don't know...maybe in the future all parking will be like this, but it can be a little unnerving watching your pride and joy descend into the very depths of the earth, maybe never to be seen of again. All joking aside, this hotel screams of the contemporary. Futuristic carparks, individually colour coded rooms (probably not to everyone's taste), and a very chic lounge bar and restaurant all add up to a very unique hotel experience. The staff were friendly and helpful, the views from the top floor (and our room) are amazing ( who'd of thought Birmingham could look so pretty?), and the breakfast was of a very high quality. Be sure to book table at Marco Pierre White (for the food and the view), have a cocktail in the indigo bar (they do a good mohito), and recover the next day in the spa (small pool but great steam room). My only gripes?- the room was a bit small and bit noisy ( I could clearly here the toilet flush in the next room). Would I go again? Yes...even if I am still waiting for my car...

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Greg A,

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us.
Very happy to read you enjoyed your stay and made the most of our facilities and enjoyed the great views of Birmingham.

The Cube car park is indeed and an experience.
I do always comment to guests on here that I do take their feedback on board to help us improve our service.
The car park is something everyone comments on, whether they think its fantastic and say it looks like something out of Misson Impossible or like yourself they find it "unnerving to watch their pride and joy descend into the very depth of the earth" .

I looked at ways we could help guests get a better picture of what actually happens to their car once it disappears -
One was when we give guests courtesy calls a week in advance, we find out if they require a car parking space.
Explain how it works and send an email to follow up - giving instructions and from all the video's I've seen on the Car Park I actually thought the YouTube video was the best.

That way guest's will have no surprises on arrival, they will know their cars will be in a safe place and when I'm checking them out in the morning telling them the bright pink colour they selected for their car actually came out nice - they will know I'm lying as they will have seen what happens to their car in the video link.

If you think there is a better way of telling guests about the car park and giving them an insight to how it works - I really would love to hear your thoughts as I always like to see things from a guest's point of you, as of course at the end of the day it is your journey and I would like to try and make it less complicated.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the future when you wish to come and stay with us and I will be happy to allocate you a bigger room suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Although our initial room was not prepared on check in (5pm) we were soon given another that was lovely. Staff are great. My only little critique was in MPW restaurant when trying to use drink voucher, as I am 8 months pregnant I asked if I could have a soft drink but was told quite quickly that the choice was beer or wine...end of. But I am not one to argue and it was only a minor blip.

And my husband has just reminded me that one kitkat between us in the minibar was perhaps a bit tight. But dont focus on my critique as overall this hotel is Beautiful!

• Stayed January 2013
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Mageemaria,

Many thanks for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, apologies for the blips you had along the way.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't offered an alternative drink to the options available on the voucher, surely they don't expect a pregnant lady drink alcohol?! This is something I will address and ensure it doesn't happen in the future.

Should you wish to return to us in the future and maybe bring your new addition please do not hesitate to contact me directly suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and was very impressed. I have stayed once before, shortly after opening, and the service was very poor - those teething troubles now seem to have been addressed.

On check in, I was very warmly welcomed and given an upgrade as a Platinum RA Priority Club member.

I was given a room with a small seating arrangement, which whilst quite small, was very clean and homely. This room had a green colour theme, whereas the one I'd stayed in before was orange. The green was more to my taste!

Nice touches at this chain include free wifi in the room, free minibar (including red and white wine and beers). Toiletries are also an upscale brand.

Bed was as expected very comfortable and, being at the end of the corridor & on the 24th floor, there was no noise.

An addition since my last stay and review is that the key card is required to access guest floors (the lift serves the bar/restaurant and all guest floors) - this was something I had suggested in my last review could be improved and I must say it made me feel more secure.

I didn't use the facilities but have used the bar many times as I'm from B'ham, and it gets very busy. If you want to eat at MPW, book in advance. They do hold back tables for registered guests, but they can also go quickly!
Location, in my view, is perfect. The Mailbox is great for bars and very close to all other city centre attractions.

Check out was, again, friendly.

Definitely better than the Crowne Plaza (also in the IHG chain) although I think the Hyatt still has a slight edge.

1 Thank travelfan199
Dear Travelfan199,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
I am glad you noticed the improvments from your last stay.
I do not lie when I tell guests I take their comments on board to improve our services.

Looking forward to have you back with us in the future.

Ki-lo-li
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and it was great. The staff were friendly throughout the stay, we receieved a complimentary upgrade as my husband is a Platinum Priority Club member. The room was on a corner with floor to ceiling windows providing fantastic views of the city. The minibar, although limited was free which is a lovely touch and it was restocked on the second day.
We visited the Bar which is on the 26th floor (I think) again great views of the city and a fab atmosphere. We did not eat at the restaurant but it looked great.
The location was very convenient for us as we were celebrating a birthday and dined both nights in the Mail Box which is literally a 30 seconds walk away and has lots of restaurants and some bars. We also enjoyed some shopping in there too.
The only negative I have with this hotel is the car park, it is one of those hi-tech ones where you park in a bay and you car disappers off somewhere and is returned to you with the simple swipe of a fob on your departure. Although a novelty, our car alarm kept going off and driving the 100 miles home the next day our car went a bit crazy, the air con no longer worked and sensors kept going off. I am not blaming this on the car park but the car is 6 months old and we have never had any problems with it before so maybe there is a correlation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ki-Lo-Li,

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us.
Happy to see you were well looked after by our staff.

You were close about the bar being on the 26th...it is on the 25th. Very sorry to hear about your car, I Hope you got it resolved?
If you would like to drop me an email suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com so we can discuss.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Fantastic hotel with spa and good breakfast had a lovely stay. Staff very helpful. Very good value for money. Stayed at an other hotel in Birmingham and was not a patch on this one. The pool is small be adequate, steam room two saunas

Dear Richard_Austen,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
Happy to see you enjoyed your stay and that you forund our staff friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed one night and spent a few hours visiting the Jewellry Quarter, canals, etc. The hotel is well located and certainly unusual. Parking a car costs £18 for a 24 hour period, but it's quite fun to see it go down into the bowels of the building in a box, etc. The rooms are not particularly large or lavishly equipped, but clean and all you need for a day or two. The "boutique" styling is mainly the use of a lot of orange paint, which is OK, though you wouldn't decorate your bedroom at home that colour! We used the gym and pool which are OK. We tried to book the PMW restaurant but they couldn't offer us a good slot so we ended up at Le Truc, which was excellent. Likewise we gave the £14 continental breakfast a miss and went just outside to Cote on the quay, where the breakfast was very good and half the price. The reception and staff were very friendly and helpful, and we'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nick Sidmonth,

Thanks for your review on your recent stay with us. Very happy you enjoyed it and found our staff helpful and friendly.

Hopefully next time you come and stay you can contact me in advance and I can book a table for you In our Marco Pierre White Steakhouse suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com.