“Business trip with some golf thrown in”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Business trip with some golf thrown in”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Just back from my stay at Forest of Arden. This was a super hotel. The customer service from every member of staff I can across was just brilliant. My room was very nice had every thing I needed. The golf pro shop was great and the on course staff very helpful and cheerful. I played 2 rounds of golf the courses were great and very well maintained. Evening meal was lovely serviced in nice surroundings by lovely friendly staff who were happy to help in any way they could, it's only 8 miles up the round from me I can't believe I ve not been there before. I ll be back and I ll tell people just how good it is.

Lovely clean friendly hotel with golf priceless

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Trevor P
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed the stay with us.

I have passed your comments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Ankur Ahuja

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed due to an event at the nearby NEC, the Forest of Arden Country Club is only a ten minute drive away yet far enough that you feel completely in the country-side. We got a discounted rate from a hotel comparison site due to late booking. The hotel is easily accessible and as soon as you travel down the driveway you can feel the relaxing luxury. The hotel has the feeling of quality, the reception is large, spacious, professional though welcoming. The room was overlooking the golf course and was very comfortable. As a guest we also had free access to the Gym, swimming-pool, sauna and steam room. We had a very comfortable nights sleep with out disturbance, breakfast the following morning was excellent with a full buffet on offer. We really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank 2wheelie
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 5, 2014

I have passed your kind comments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club
County Durham
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We booked this hotel to come back to to relax after a day at Drayton Manor theme park. We had stayed previously so knew what to expect, but this time hoped for better weather so that we could make more use of some of the outdoor facilities.
I thought the price was quite expensive when I booked, but we wanted a pool for our boys so ce la vie!
We were given a large room (2 double beds) in the same corridor as we stayed in the last time, but on the opposite side, so just had a view into an internal courtyard/garden, but we weren't there to look out of the window.
We headed straight for the pool and were a little disappointed to see that half of it was roped off for a private swimming lesson for 2 children, but luckily the pool wasn't busy so it wasn't too much of a problem. The changing room and showers were clean, the only small thing I could recommend is that they upgrade the lockers to keypads (as many other Marriott hotels have) so that you don't have to have a big plastic bracelet with the key attached to it.
We didn't eat in the hotel as we actually had a room picnic that we had brought with us, but we did pop down to the bar for a drink. I was really surprised at how quiet it was but I think the hotel in general was very quiet.
We all slept well and even needed our alarm to wake us the next morning.
The breakfast room was very quiet, but there was still plenty of choice and even someone to cook eggs, omelettes etc. Breakfast was nice, but we thought that the breakfast we had at the Premier Inn the previous morning was better.
After breakfast my husband and oldest son used the pool again, while me and our 5yr old just chilled in the room. After check out we headed for the driving range, then for a game of tennis before we left for our journey home.
We enjoyed our stay, but thought that the price we paid was quite expensive bearing in mind how quiet the hotel was. However we would probably return to the hotel if we are visiting Drayton Manor again.

1 Thank RuthH
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

It is what you would except in a Marriott Hotel from shower curtains to bedside table in terms of rooms facility.

The hotel has good leisure facilities although a small convenient shop would be en extra touch much appreciated by guests not traveling by car I guess.

The food at the Zest bar next to the pool could be better. The menu needs urgent attention. I ordered a margherita pizza and the base was too thick. There should be an option for a thin base.

Staff was fine.

All in all an ok hotel.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed at the Forest of Arden for two nights whilst attending a wedding. The hotel has it’s many good point but unfortunately too many needless bad ones.
I will start with the plusses, the staff are very welcoming and indeed helpful, the breakfast was excellent, the room very clean and the beds very comfortable. The leisure centre within the hotel is excellent and very clean.
Where the hotel lets itself down is on service. And there were quite a few instances during our stay. Firstly I had requested a cot in our room and emailed the hotel a couple of days before our arrival to confirm this request. I received a reply assuring me that this was in hand. When we arrived in our room, guess what? no cot.
I contacted reception and they said one would be sent up. On returning to our room over 3 hours later, still no cot, I rang reception again, where they had obviously changed shift and the receptionist knew nothing about the cot, she did however get the matter sorted.
Next is the service at the various bars, it was all too slow and not enough staff on duty. This was a situation that continued throughout our stay,
When we arrived back at the hotel from the wedding ceremony, there was a champagne and canopies reception in one of the hotel suites. The bar here was a disaster, it was as if they had been taken by surprise and didn’t think anyone would want to order a drink, all the taps seemed to be off and had to be drained off and new barrels set up, although not before I was served what can only be described as a pint of slops.
The service in the Zest Bar wasn’t much better, on the Saturday I ordered a kids meal for my 3 year old and despite appearing not too busy, it took over 30mins to arrive an ice cream for his dessert also took a ridiculous amount of time to be served. This standard of service was repeated on the Sunday when my wife and older son ordered a burger and some sandwiches, followed by a wait of almost an hour for an ice cream, which only came after we inquired as to it’s whereabouts.
The Forest of Arden is a nice hotel, but too many examples of poor service would put me off staying there again.

3 Thank goonersid
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay.

We appreciate your positive feedback about rooms, breakfast, welcoming staff and leisure club. However, I would like to sincerely apologise for the service issues you had at our bars and reception. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and I have shared your feedback with our team.

Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had an overnight stay last weekend and we thought this was an excellent hotel. Nice welcome and a big double room. We liked both bars and they each had their own atmosphere. Fantastic breakfast. Late at night we asked for some more tea bags and (cheekily) biscuits. Within ten minutes somebody had arrived at the room with the tea bags and several packets of bisuits. Thanks, they were just what we needed.
As a previous reviewer has noted this is a perfect hotel for golfers or weddings. We arrived on one of the warmest sunniest days of the year and the hotel grounds/golf course looked spectacular. We asked at reception if there was a part of the grounds we could go for a walk. We were asked to keep off the golf course but were directed to a nature walk indicated by yellow marker posts. Unfortunately the pathway was overgrown with stinging nettles and was v muddy so we had to abandon our expedition. This was in contrast to the golf course which was immaculate.It would be nice if this nature walk could be better maintained so that non-golfers have somewhere to walk. We did notice the tennis courts which I am sure hotel guests could use.
The following morning we were up early so we decided to go for a run around the edge of the golf course being careful to keep out of the way of the golfers. Nobody seemed to mind. We then had a swim in the pool which is actually one of the better hotel pools I have used. The steam room and jacuzzi were perfect.
So overall we enjoyed our stay in this luxurious hotel and would definately book it again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you as well for your feedback regarding the nature trail.

I have passed feedback comments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We travel a lot and love, like everyone, a great bit of dedicated service and here we were welcomed by 'Phil' one of the best concierge's we have come across, Phil is only pipped into second place by the Savoy, so that's saying something...

As Marriott Elite Card Holders (recommended), we got such a warm welcome and super service, including all our kit from car to room, a full room tour and even an offer to put the kettle on for tea, (that's near on butler service.) amazing and thank you Phil...

We have a great room, nice golf course view and best of all the Marriott lived up to their promise that if we found the room cheaper than anywhere else they would match the deal and give us 25% off. Now we are avid hotel visitors so i went straight to the Marriott website and booked a two night stay for £214 witha full guarantee we would not get it cheaper... Just out of interest after booking I checked Booking.com and found it cheaper. All I then did was fill out the form and within an hour their promise was fulfilled, they matched the price and gave a 25% discount as well - Great job Marriott...

I am so impressed I am writing this from my room, hold on room service has just arrived!!!

OK it's confirmed we love this place...

Trust you do too...

Tony Vee

Room Tip: Get a Marriott reward card, that way they automatically give you the best room...