“as it should be”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Everything was as one would expect from a quality hotel chain.
Great service and attention to detail and just ticking along as expected.
Stayed here for 2 nights and the staff are polite and efficient, the room was good and food excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,504)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My stay here was for business purposes, which I imagine would make up the overwhelming majority of their customers. I really resent the fact that they charge for a wifi connection - £15 for 24hrs. Wake up guys, in this day a business hotel like yours should be providing this for free and making it as easy to connect as possible. Your competitors are, which is one reason that I'll be staying with them and not you in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank gastrocuz
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Arrived in the dark after a conference, so was unable to take in the scenery and exterior of the hotel. It was difficult to navigate the car par, which is huge, due to poor lighting and signage. Check in was swift and friendly. The hotel is huge and I had to wander about a bit before I located my room. The room was clean and spacious with a very comfortable bed and all seemed set for a good night. My room had a door allowing it to be linked to the room next door, which was locked shut. When the guest in the room next door was on the phone I could hear every word and when they used the TV or hair dryer it was as if they were in my room with me. It wasn't that they were being noisy, rather just poor soundproofing. This may be better in other rooms. Once I went to sleep I slept well. Breakfast was good and staff professional and attentive. Not at all bad, but not much to lift it above other hotels in the area.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tomrw72
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Excellent excellent excellent, so easy to find, breathtaking scenery, great for golfers, lovely staff very helpful, modern king size room , the most comfortable bed, white cotton linen, fluffy towels. breakfast was fab. The first night we ate in the hotel nice food not expensive. We both had treatments at the spa complete bliss, The Hotel was very busy on the Saturday but you wouldn't have known very well organised, everywhere is extremely clean. We will definatley be going back, with the kids. We both came away so relaxed, Oh & the price was very fair. :-)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ajpw69
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a great 2 night stay here for a friends wedding. We arrived really late on Friday night but were greeted by 4 smiling and friendly staff and not just the night manager.
Our room was big with everything you expect from a 4 star, except we couldn't find the bottle of free water which I know is a legal requirement as I work in the industry. It also means I easily pick up on standards of cleanliness which I found to be great. King size bed with five HUGE pillows which made the bed very comfortable.
The wedding reception was fantastic, great food and they catered for me being a veggie really well. The fun and music went on until the early hours.
The next morning we came down to breakfast at peak time & were shocked to see the same tired staff who had served us drinks until 2am working the breakfast shift. Me and my partner both work in the industry so know this is illegal as well as unfair. Breakfast was EXTREMELY busy but the staff were working as hard as possible under the circumstances and allowed us to help ourselves and eat in the bar as there were no tables available in the restaurant. They were hopefully ignoring the idiotic complaints from other, less understanding guests who don't seem to realise that it's the staffing levels and people deciding to all come down at the same time which disrupts service.
Check out at midday really impressed me, meant we weren't rushing around with our hangovers!
All in all a great stay in a relaxing setting.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank moonface88
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We booked a family room using Tesco vouchers so we were staying for two nights. We chose this hotel as it seemed fairly central to Birmingham Sea life and Warwick castle. It only took us approx 25 mins to drive to Birmingham sea life and perhaps 45 mins to Warwick castle. The hotel is very grand upon arrival and not to mention huge! But it is very inviting.....

I'm always sceptical about room allocation using our Tesco vouchers but I was pleasantly surprised; we were tucked around the corner of the hotel and had restricted 'tree views' of the course but we weren't there to watch the golf so that didn't bother us. The room was cosy and I think we may have had an upgrade as we had all the posh toiletries and robes in our room which were available as an upgrade according to the advertisement in reception. Anyhow, bonus for us! The room was clean, warm and comfortable, two double beds, tea and coffee, tv etc.

Check in and out was quick, all the staff were polite, attentive and friendly and breakfast was to the usual super Marriott standards and enjoyed by the four of us (husband and two children 8 and 7). We used the pool which was clean, warm and very open and the children thoroughly enjoyed their swim - there are restrictions on when the children are allowed in the pool which is fair enough as it meant we could splash happily when we were allowed in there! We ate in the sports bar which was really reasonable for the children, slightly overpriced for an adult bar snack but we were given drinks vouchers upon arrival so that offset the figures! The meal was lovely and we got to sit and watch the golfers finish up for the day as well as watch the golf on the big TV! Neither of us play golf or have a particular interest in the sport but there was a very pleasant atmosphere and we were all sucked in during our time there!

All in all we enjoyed our brief two nights and the hotel did us proud. I would have no objection staying at this hotel again, Thanks again Mr Marriott!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dirtyhumans
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay, check in was slow, this was probably down to a trainee working on reception, nothing wrong with that, we all have to start somewhere, but unfortunately her English was very difficult to understand, and ending up having to ask her to repeat everything, all in all took about 30 minutes, after she'd tried to charge me twice for the room.

Room 1: Freezing cold, probably to do with the window that didn't shut properly, letting in a big draft and a lot of noise, back to reception to ask for a different room.

Room 2: A bit further down the corridor, but exactly the same problems as the first room, Freezing cold, probably to do with the window that didnt shut properly, letting in a big draft and a lot of noise, back to reception to ask for a different room... again.

Room 3: Window did work!, also had a call from reception to check we were happy with this one, at that point we were, as this was now nearly an hour after we arrived! I hadn't been in the bathroom at that point. It must have been the cleaners day off as the bath and plug hole still contained at least one previous occupants hair in it. Really couldn't be bothered with another trip to reception and settled for 'this is obviously the standard they work to' approach... We were sent a bottle of house red as were messed about with rooms, for me though a bottle of red that costs pence to buy doesn't go anywhere to sort out real simple problems that should't exist in the first place

Room was pretty much standard Marriot country club, would be good if they put foam pillows in the room rather than having to ask for them

Breakfast first morning was good. The second morning not quite the same. There had been at least one wedding the previous day and a lot of people must have stayed there. Restaurant staff clearly couldn't cope with the amount of people. It took 30 minutes for a cup of tea to arrive. Went to get food, and was greeted with the girl on the egg station telling me 'I don't do fried eggs, they are over there in the corner' okay, a different setup to the previous morning, this was clearly to accommodate the remaining wedding party (who incidentally were being treated like royalty...) No eggs in the corner so back to the egg station to be told again 'I told you I don't do fried eggs' clearly a girl who has received great customer facing training and has complete job satisfaction!!

The leisure facilities do what they need to, clean well equipped etc, and the grounds are nice, but im sure would look stunning in the summer.

Check out took another 30 minutes, something to do with a lot of wedding guests I believe... a simple thank you from the desk attendant, no mention of how was your stay etc....

Any point in complaining?? absolutely not, these are really simple problems which could easily be rectified, basic maintenance and staffing levels, undoubtedly all at the top of the cost cutting list! If Marriot can't see the problems here then there is no way they will do anything about it. An American business model doesn't always work in an English hotel...

Its a very different place to Marriot city centre Hotels and the standards are very differnt. I know which one i'll be staying at if I use Marriot again.

Room Tip: dont unpack until you have had a good inspection!