“Cold golf, but a warm reception”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was "forced" to play golf here last week. As you can imagine it was freezing despite 3 layers and the poor course was somewhat waterlogged and muddy but this was more than made up for by the staff at the hotel. Whilst it lacks the charm of older hotels our room was very comfortable. The food was very acceptable but the staff were great. Whether in the bar after golf, at a gala dinner in the evening or in the evening bar after dinner the staff were always excellent which always marks out a good quality hotel. One incident in particular illustrated our stay. We inadvertently left some prize gift ware in the dinner suite only to discover that it had disappeared the next morning. But no, the staff had simply cleared it away in to a locked cupboard and we soon tracked down the missing items.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course and deer park
1  Thank RichardBoyle

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I attended a two day conference here last week and found the facilities and food good, but the outstanding thing was some excellent customer service by the staff. My room was a large double, with a bath and shower, and the bed was comfortable and the room quiet. Where the staff excelled was that I inadvertently left my watch and other jewellery in the lockers of the spa.Unfortunately the locker was in use when I returned, but the staff member ( Priya) made sure she found them for me, parcelled them up in a little bag and kept them to one side for me. A really nice touch! Then, to cap it all the next day, my car would not start and the recovery garage was going to take an hour and a half to get to me. In steps the Duty Manager ( sorry, didn't get his name) who gives me a jump start from his own vehicle. Thank you to both- it is effort like this that distinguishes some hotel experiences from others. If they get these things right, it speaks well for all aspects of customer service at the hotel.

1  Thank Charnick0
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Here on business meeting. In the middle of nowhere and yet only a few miles from motorway network. Room perfectly acceptable , clean modern box. Usual amenities.Did not have dinner or breakfast, which was included in the rate of £134.
Did have lunch as a part of a conference that I was attending which was only fair. Three hot choices, veg curry chicken curry and fish cake. Cold selection was also rather dull. I have seen far better buffet presentation in a supermarket. Just a little time and effort and it could have been so much better.
2 minor niggles - no pen in my room and of course it was the one time that I wanted one and secondly during the conference in the afternoon they provided cans of coke fanta etc but none of them were diet or sugar free and when I asked the assistant for some you would have thought that I was from another world - no 'I shall check' but just told no we do not have diet drinks. Minor points I know but.....
This might be the place to go for a spa and round of golf but I would not rush to spend my money here soon, which is shame as it just needs that eye for detail to make it a good location.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here again as its such nice place. Staff are great, the bar staff even remember you from your last stay. Very attentive i must say. Rooms are great and clean. Resturant is very nice, had dinner both nights there. Cant ask for much more for the cost etc. If there was only one thing i would say, look at the prices of films!!! If they were cheaper i may watch one.... one day. But all is very nice here. Steam room is very nice too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently went to Forest of Arden for the 2013 GolfBIC conference. The hotel facilities for the conference were excellent, the exhibition hall which doubled as the restaurant for the charity dinner was large and well laid out and the transformation to an eating venue was fast, silent and efficiently completed. The hotel staff were on the ball, attentive and very helpful. The food in the evening was of a superb quality and considering the amount of delegates eating, the food came out hot and beautifully presented and the waitress staff were well trained and marshalled.
The only down point was the heating wasn't working properly and it was a freezing night, wind chill factor of minus 9 outside and so guests in their finery were finding it a little cold in the vast dining room.
The breakfast was plentiful and of excellent quality and I was impressed with the maitre d and his memory for the guests .
All in all a very enjoyable stay and as a golfer I will return to the hotel but this time leave enough free time to sample the golf course as well.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a lovely weekend at this hotel, played both golf courses, even the one in the deer park and so many deer there. Lovely hotel, great staff, very helpful friendly. They were clearly trying o ensure that you made the most of the facilities there. We did not have the time to make use of the spa facilities but the pool looked great. Breakfast and evening meals brilliant choice and again the ever helpful and professional staff. Will definitely go back. Good room, small downside no wifi in this room. Think some of them have it, shame they don't all.

Room Tip: Ask for one with wifi
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel to enjoy the local towns of Solihull and Leamington Spa. The hotel is situated in the countryside but not a million miles away from civilisation. On arrival, we were greeted by Philip, who (after checking in) took our bags and showed us to our room. What a lovely guy he was. He told us what was in the local area and even put the kettle on for us! The room was very clean, modern and spacious. The pool was excellent and larger than most hotels we've stayed in. Again, the pool area and changing rooms were very clean. Breakfast at the hotel was also very good with lots of selection and all food was hot. The service was excellent too. We would definitely recommend this hotel and will return without a doubt.

Room Tip: Recommend the golf course views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Loubs07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!