“Serves its purpose”

Ranked #36 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Djibouti, Djibouti
“Serves its purpose”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is a budget hotel but it offers more than a bigger name budget hotel not too far away.

It is handy for the centre of Biirmingham, offers decent wi-fi (free) and parking (free). The price is very reasonable, the staff are pleasant and the breakfast is good. There was plenty of tea and coffee and, when I asked for more milk I was given a handful of milk jiggers (I forgot to buy a bottle, because I prefer fresh milk.

The prices are fixed (no bugus rack rates) and fair. The room was clean.

Oh yes, there is a bar too. What more could one ask for?

This one will be on my 'favourites' list for next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Margate
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This B&B is a gem. The service is so friendly and warm, there are great facilities and the free breakfast is fantastic, a proper full English. The staff were so helpful when I stupidly dropped something out the window around the back (best not to ask) and even surprised me with a birthday card my boyfriend had sent ahead for me. For the price and location you can't go wrong. It has everything you need in a B&B and more. The only criticism I had was the internal noise, you can hear other people if they talk loudly and other people's showers etc. It did wake me up a couple of times but it may just be I got unlucky with room location and I did opt for ensuite, I'm sure if I hadn't it would have been different. However, I think it's a great B&B and would definitely return if ever in the area on business. I think you'll struggle to find better value, nicer people or such a yummy breakfast else where.

• Stayed September 2013
Birmingham
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We actually live just around the corner from the hotel but have put family and friends up there for the night and they have always been very pleased with the accommodation, service and value for money. As locals, we only wish they would tidy the front up a little - it needs a new sign! If you have time, Rookery park is a lovely place to visit and read a book when the weather's nice or to play a game of tennis - literally 5 minutes walk along Wood End Road.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laurence101
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Despite its faded exterior, the Rollason Wood Hotel was actually a very pleasant and comfortable place to stay. A good size, clean room with everything one could need. Breakfast service was friendly with an ample sized full English provided. The area around the hotel lacks charm or any particular restaurants but the hotel makes a good base from which to travel into Birmingham via the A38(M) if driving or the train (although Erdington station is 15min walk away).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Probably the most cheerful welcome I have ever received. Within a few moments, I was made to feel really welcome, and made to feel as though nothing would be too much trouble. What fantastic staff !!

Bar and bar food on site - fantastic - no need to go out and hunt for an evening meal.

Room is clean, warm, with TV and desk and fast wifi !! Yes, it's basic, but when working, you just really only need somewhere to eat, watch TV, shower and sleep.

The warm cheerful service continued all night at the bar and cafe, and for the morning breakfast. From the sounds of it, most customers seem to be repeat customers, they all seem to be greeted by name, and sounds like most are here often, has (as much as is possible) a real sense of home away from home for working people. They also do early breakfast, and if you need to be on the road really early, the 24 hour desk will apparently organize toast, tea/coffee, juice and cereal.

Compared to where I stayed last time in Birmingham, for just 4 pounds more, this place is heaps, heaps, heaps, better, and includes breakfast & wifi ! Even the checkout was cheerful !!

I have put in my contact book as my place to stay in Birmingham ! Thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Almostgreynomad
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

well after finding the hotel online all seemed good and cheap, so then i gave them a ring and booked my room 7 days in advance as we were off to the big event at hmv institute for godskithchen, all seemed very nice on the phone i thought ok this is going to be a great weekend. after the 7 days the day had come for me and two friends to go stay at the rollason wood hotel and have a great night out, so after a two and a half hour drive from leeds we arrived at the hotel and the weekend from hell began we got ther and all they had to say was we dont have a room for you. at first i thought it was a joke then she said no seriously we dont i was like WHAT i booked a week ago. she said who ever was on the desk has double booked and someone took your room last night. as it was a realy busy weekend in birmingham we booked a week in advance then to get ther and find this out was NOT GOOD AT ALL, and with no real apologie for what they had done they just said we cant do anything about it and told us ther was a room at the holiday inn for £110 pound for the night and sent us on our way, we went to holiday inn which was a 20min drive away to find out they didnt have no rooms either so they also lied to us to get us off their case shocking!!!!!!!

Room Tip: book well in advance if you do stay and pay upfront so there are no comebacks