Hagley Lodge
Novotel
$103
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
$96
  • Pool
$151
$136
Great 4.5/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Avoid this place!!!
We checked in and was shown a room in the next building...it was filthy, smelt of damp and the bathroom floor was falling through.
We then went back to reception to demand a change of room or a refund..the receptionist was not helpful however she gave us a room in the main building which was no better.
Room was horrible, dirty remote, filthy nettings and curtain. Bathroom was not fit for purpose. No lamp!!!
Would never choose this place again or recommend it....KEEP AWAY!!!
THIS PLACE NEEDS CLOSING DOWN ASAP!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked to stay here rather than do a 3 hour drive home after a concert at the NEC. £25 for a double room with bathroom is pretty amazing value in my book, so I was not expecting a palace. What we got was a decent enough room with tv and tea and coffee making facilites (all of which worked perfectly). If you are sharing a room though, be aware that the two rooms we had, both had ensuite bathrooms with half frosted glass doors, so you could sort of see the other person in the bathroom...offputting if you don't know them too well, or even if you do! If I was going to a concert again, or just needed a cheap place to stay in Birmingham I would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Looks lovely from the outside, and maybe that's as far as any respectable human should go. The check was trouble free, but on arriving to the maze of stairs and dodgy moving floor boards, we arrived to our room. The Television had no remote, and only had 2 channels, showing either F1 or some screaming bint playing Tennis. We asked at the reception to be told "We're still looking for the remote" The remote clearly wasn't found nor was any apology made.

The room was tiny and should only be advertised and used as a single. But a mortuary slab of a three quarter bed, placed right up the dingy off white wall. The window was sealed shut, and you can imagine two people sharing one tiny room, it was suffocating and with no actually means on ventilation it was cooler in Barbados then in this tiny death trap.

The bathroom was utterly disgusting, the floor tiles were broke and missing grout, extremely unhygienic. There was no soap in the soap dispenser and gaping holes where an old dispenser had been. The whole room, bathroom and furniture units were filthy and thick in dust.

The Bar, had run out of every drink apart from warm bottles of Bud or freezing cold cans of coke. No actual choice, and pretty much a joke.

As it was only a night, I thought what was the point in complaining. But I have stayed at better hotels, for far less and for better service. This hotel only serves the hookers, pimps and curb crawlers half a mile down the strip. If you intend to go as a couple as I did - Try somewhere else!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I booked this place based on price primarily as I wanted somewhere low cost to stay for a couple of nights.

I booked the Hagley before I had seen the trip advisor reviews and once I did, I was expecting it to be a total joke.

In reality, when you're paying sub 20 a night, expectations wouldn't be high (well if you're realistic anyhow). However I arrived, could park at the front, was checked in with minimal fuss, handed a key card and given instructions on finding the room.

The room had an adequate bed, toilet and shower. The bed itself is quite old, but was perfectly comfortable, the toilet did what you'd want, and the shower was actually better (and hotter) than I expected.

On the downside the remote for the TV was missing, presumed lost/stolen, but did work, and my room was right by the main door from the staircase so late arrivals and early departures interrupted me, but that's the luck of the draw to rooms I guess.

Yes the place is a bit tired, I would guess that lobby and lounge had a refit more recently than the room, but neither that recent. Yeah it is a bit shabby in places but it was less than 20 quid a night, just a few minutes drive from the centre of Birmingham.

So my overall review is...

Have realistic expectations... If I paid 50 quid+ a night I'd expect more and better. As I paid so little I got slightly better than I expected based on reviews.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Lets just summarise here... The photos are a joke it looks nothing like the pictures. Paint is peeling off the walls the bedding was dirty, the bed was broken we had drunk teens allowed to hang around the premises. Reception staff were rude unhelpful and it was a rip off... The icing on the cake was the smell of Marjuana throughout the lodge! Nasty nasty nasty place! All night we could here drunken people arguing and slamming doors. This place should be reported and shut down as it is false advertising!

• Stayed: April 2013