“Not impressed”

Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel
Ranked #13 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
“Not impressed”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I recently visited castle Bromwich hall hotel with the intention of possibly booking my daughters wedding, we opted for a drink in the bar before dinner and was disappointed by staff. I asked for ice in my drink, I was told "I haven't filled the ice bucket up yet so you must wait" almost half an hour later than was booked for, a surly looking waitress told us our table was ready, the dining room was freezing cold even though they have a log fire which wasn't lit. Not cozy! I could hear the receptionist on the phone talking rather loudly to another guest who was obviously complaining. Our waitress then proceeded to ask us if we were ready to order as the kitchen was closing soon, we asked what the soup of the day was, to be told "oh, errrr it's whatever the chef decided, do you want me to ask?"

The food isn't even worth a mention as it was so poor, I wouldn't feed it to a hungry dog.

A flustered looking man was flapping around looking all important (or trying to) clicking his fingers and not treating staff with much respect.

All in all it was a huge disappointment to myself and my husband and we won't recommend this place for anything other than a walk around the gardens, which thankfully have nothing to do with the hotel or it's fawlty towers staff !

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Redwytch
CBHHManager, Manager at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Thank you for your review, Redwytch!

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or any disappointment you experienced.

In regards to the log fire, unfortunately for health and safety reasons this cannot be lit.

Since your visit we have made improvements and changes in regards to food, service and the facilities on a whole that have received positive feedback and recommendation.

We really appreciate your feedback as it helps us continue to make improvements.
Again please accept our sincere apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of March 2014. On arrival i noted that the exterior was pleasant and that the reception area was adequate but by no means grand. The pictures on the booking site i used were not accurate in comparison to my experience and the interior of the hotel was not as grand as the pictures portrayed. To be fair the hotel was very clean throughout and the deluxe room i booked was spacious, clean, had good wifi, 2 flat screen tv's and a modern bathroom. The deluxe room consisted of a double bed in one area and a door through to another area with 2 single beds, it was more of a family room than a deluxe room. I checked in at approximately 5.00pm and was asked if i wished to book dinner, as i was unfamiliar with the area i booked a table after reading what looked like a good menu. My wife and I ordered rib eye steaks and as there was no childrens menu we were given the choice of chicken nuggets or pasta for our young son. The waitress informed us that the pasta could be spicy and suggested that she ask the chef to prepare our sons meal without the spices so that is what we ordered for him. The food arrived promptly and I can say without any doubt that it was the worst meal I have ever been served. The steaks were an awful cut of meat and had more fat than meat, there were bland and tasteless, the chips were homemade but under cooked and horrible, oven chips would have been a better option but i doubt the chef could manage to cook those either and I would not expect such items when steak and chips costs £28 per person. The pepper sauce was watery and again had no taste, maybe it was just coloured water hence the appearance. It was all disgusting and we could not eat it. In comparison to our bland food our sons pasta, supposedly prepared without spices, nearly blew his head off it was so spicy - not great for a 4 year old, and therefore he could not eat his dinner either. We complained to the waitress who asked if we wanted something else, we declined her offer because if the chef can't could steak and chips i dread to think what the rest of the menu tasted like. There was no further contact from the staff, no effort to deal with the problem or address our displeasure so we simply left the restaurant and raised the issue at reception the next morning. The staff member at reception confirmed that we had not been charged for the meal but made no apologies and informed me that i should expect to see fat on a rib eye, a rather obvious and unhelpful comment i thought as that was not my complaint. I had asked for a late checkout on arrival and was, as expected, informed to ask again the next day which was the day before check out. When I made a further request at 7.15pm on the night before check out the rather unhelpful gentlemen at reception informed me he could not confirm if my request could be accommodated or the amount of any additional cost but he did kindly confirm he would leave a note for someone else who could help me the next morning. The result of this was that i had to get up early on the morning of my last day to confirm if i could get a late check out which i was only requesting so i did not have to get up early. I eventually just gave up and left before 11.00am as per the hotel policy. To sum, the building and grounds are pleasant but not as grand as the advertising photos, the rooms are clean and comfortable but get quite cold in the evening but i suppose this is to be expected in such an old and historical building, the staff are quite unhelpful and therefore the service is not satisfactory and the food is the worst i have been served in any restaurant or hotel ever. The hotel is suitable if you use it for a base but nothing more than that. We did not risk running the gauntlet of breakfast so i can't comment of that except for saying it the dinner is anything to go by i wouldn't expect it to anything other than repulsive.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and heard no noise. The electric heater in a cupboard needed to be used in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Suziec78
Thank you for your review, Suziec78!

Firstly, please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you had during your stay with us.

We have made many improvements since your stay and it is feedback such as yours that has aided this.

Our food and beverage options have been improved and we now serve our exciting A'LaCarte Menu in our restaurant which we have had excellent feedback for.

We have made many improvements in regards to our service to guarantee the highest of standards.

We hope to see you again so you can see the improvements we have made.

Best regards

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed at the castle bromwich for only one night, but i wish it was many more. We stayed in the devereux room. This room is quite simply the best hotel room i have ever stayed in (I have been to many a 5* resorts around the world). They have managed to keep all the period features and charm of such a classical building and yet made it feel bang up to date with all the fixtures and fittings. The bathroom is that big you coul have a rugby team in there all swinging a cat!
I hate baths but i still had a three hour soak in the stand alone bath just for the hell of it.
The reception doesnt give any hint to the amazing room you will arrive at once you open that door.
Staff are all friendly (even to us grumpy londoners)
I will be visiting family again soon.
1. I will be requesting the Devereux room (I suggest you do too!!!!)
2. It will be more than a single night as it is such a pleasure to be in this room.

This is the best £105 (including a late checkout) that i have ever spent. A room of this stature in london would fetch an eye watering sum per night!

Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Ask for the Devereux ;-) You will want to thank me in person afetr staying in this room.....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew B
Thank you for your review, Matthew B!

We are delighted that you have such wonderful feedback for us!

We are very proud of our Deveruex Suite - much like our other rooms and we are happy to hear your compliments!

We are glad to hear that would visit us again - we do hope to see you again!!

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Room was panelled and authentic - lovely, and with flat screen tv and modern bathroom. Reception atrocious - untidy and was not asked if I wanted dinner so assumed they were booked up, I had asked when booked by Internet if there was a menu so that could be sent - but no reply, so don't contact them by email or Internet! I think they're are more interested in visiting Guests than staying guests. As we couldn't eat at hotel searched local area and there is not much but cheap pubs and chain restaurants, but did find a great Indian about half a mile away called 'kismet'. Service in the lounge also bad, slow and after ten mins sitting there we went to the bar to order. Maybe there's a staff morale/training issue to be addressed. Would I come back ? only if service issue improved.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Madhous!

It is disappointing to learn that you received poor service during your stay. Improvements have been and will continue to be made in regards to customer service so this will not happen again in the future.

Please accept our sincere apologies that you experienced this and we are grateful for your feedback as it helps us further improve.

We do hope that you do visit us again so you can see the improvements we have made!

Best Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Myself and a friend went to this hotel for afternoon tea. The sandwiches were not fresh and very sparse. They were obviously not freshly made as the bread was dry and the fillings were very cold, I imagine they had been kept in the fridge. The cakes were nothing special either. I e-mailed a complaint to which I received no reply, tried again and had a reply saying the Manager was on holiday and would contact me on his return. I heard nothing and e-mailed once again, Still heard nothing and don't expect to now. Very disappointing and I certainly won't be visiting there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank margiedl
Thank you for your review, margiedl!

Firstly please accept our apologies for the service that you have received and for the delayed response. We have recently had a change of management so this may be the reasoning behind the late response.

We can assure you that all our afternoon tea is made fresh on the day and we apologize that you did not experience our usual high standard.

Please accept our sincere apologies and since your review we have made some positive improvements to both our food and beverage and customer service.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed for my husband's birthday & we were very satisfied. I grew up in area and was looking forwards to looking around and was not to be disappointed. It has been very tastefully decorated & the whole atmosphere just blew me away. I honestly can't believe anyone could fail to be impressed by the Great Hall (read several negative reviews). It is just oozing charm & character (although I would like to suggest they light the fire in the enormous fireplace). I have eaten here before & was a little disappointed the menu was not the same as displayed on website, (was hoping for fig starter & pear & almond tart), but we were very impressed with food and service - staff very attentive.

Young receptionist very cheerful & efficient & let us look around the original staircase & state rooms. We booked a superior double room for £72.50 which was enormous (a family room), with amazing views of gardens & the bell tower from the lavatory! It is up 4 flights of stairs (which wasn't a problem ) - I think the lift only goes to 1st floor due to being Grade I. Clean, warm & comfy bed & tastefully decorated. Hardly any air traffic noise (read other negative reviews), though I think that may be in summer more, only heard one door shut all night long!

We loved this place and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 302 in attic (up 4 flights of stairs) - one of only 3 rooms with amazing views gardens (& b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Jo C!

We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and we lived up to your expectations!

Unfortunately due to health and safety reasons we are unable to light the log fire - we would love to otherwise!

We have recently introduced a new A'La Carte Menu which has received a great response! If you visit us again maybe you could give this a try?!

Please do come stay with us again, it would be lovely to see you!

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We are here right now, and I have been so impressed with the service of the staff that I just had to say something now. Food great, service great, room great, view great, hotel great! All....great! Many thanks to you all :-) my 8 year old daughter was even cooked a meal just for her! Not many hotels do that!!!

Stayed March 2014
CBHHManager, Manager at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Thank your for your review, Shane B!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel!

We want guests to feel as comfortable as possible and if we can help in any way we will.

We hope to see you again, please do come visit us again!