“Beware where you parked you car”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #39 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beware where you parked you car”
Reviewed November 20, 2010

My otherwise adverse stay at the HI express NEC was marred by the vandalism of my car. My car was unfortunately in a CCTV blind spit and the thieves got away red handed even though it was a gated hotel. The only thing that salvaged this stay was the helpfulness and support from the reception staff who helped me through this stressful event. Hotel facilities and accommodation was average.

• Stayed November 2010
MollyTurner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Guest,

Our grounds are covered by numerous cameras these do not cover 100% of our property. Although the hotel doesn't experience high levels of car crime we are currently looking to enhance the coverage we have, to assist the police when this type of situation arises. I understand that the damage to your vehicle was unsettling i am pleased to read that our members of staff were on hand to assist you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel while I was attending an exhibition at the NEC, so it was quite convenient, although you still need to take the shuttle minibus. As for the hotel itself, it was OK, but like a carbon copy of the one in Milton Keynes, and other UK Holiday Inn Express hotels, I guess. Just like breakfast, which is poor in terms of quality and quantity.

I was there for 2 nights, and when I got to my room on the second day, it had not been made. I complained, and they told me that the housekeeping team had already left and there was nothing they could do. I asked for a room change, and they said the hotel was fully booked. As a Priority Club platinum member, and after having paid £137.70 per night (during the exhibition), I felt ripped off. A later complaint to the hotel chain yielded 5,000 points as a compensation, but it left a bittersweet taste of this hotel. I might give it another try during a quieter and cheaper time of the year, though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Excellent Value - clean and fresh room - breakfast was fine, simple but adequate - only problem was we couldn't get there by foot from BI Station - carparking charges apply but that is true of all hotels at NEC.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again
new delhi
Reviewed November 1, 2010

If you are in Birmingham for Exhibition then it is a good place to stay in. Otherwise way out of the city. Perfect as a business traveller to exhibition. Nice breakfast, nothing special. Rooms are small but comfortable is you are there for exhibition. Not a value for money hotel as it tends to be expensive during the exhibition days. And book early as it gets full very fast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. I personally take the time to review the comments / feedback from our guests and utilise any feedback received for recognition / training purposes. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
Whitley Bay
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn express for 1 night as myself and friends were going to the NEC for the Horse of the Year show.

We arrived at the hotel at 2.15pm. We were told only one room was ready, which was fine, as we weren't due to check in til 3pm. Staff were pleasant, but after giving us our room cards, they did not direct us to the location of the rooms and we had to wander about, working out where they were! We also had to ask about breakfast as this information was not forthcoming either!

The rooms are just your usual standard hotel room. The pillows on the bed have labels on them to tell you if they are firm or soft.......they felt exactly the same!!! Shower was great, very powerful. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep.

Breakfast was basic but adequate, no full English, just sausages and scrambled eggs, and the usual cereals, croissants etc. It was fine for our needs.

There is a shuttle bus which runs to the train station at the NEC, but it only seats 8 people so as there were quite a few people waiting, we could not fit in. It only runs every half an hour. We got a taxi, which was about £8.

A word of warning.......do not use the adjoining pub. (The little owl, I think it was called!) We went for lunch after we'd arrived, and it was foul. I ordered a steak sandwich, which sounded lovely on the menu but when it arrived it stunk, the meat was off. When I informed a member of staff, he took a very defensive attitude, claiming it was nothing to do with him as he had just come on duty! No refund was offered, just a replacement. It knocked me sick for the rest of the day!

The rest of my party also ordered food, which was mediocre, at best. The place was not busy, yet we waited ages to be served. When we asked for sauces, a man came over with a selection in pots which were spilling over the sides and congealed! My daughter also saw him drop a pot of mayonnaise and he just picked it up and put it back on the tray!
Yuck!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
CarlaHayes, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. I personally take the time to review the comments / feedback from our guests and utilise any feedback received for recognition / training purposes. The Pub next door to the hotel is not owned or run by the hotel i will pass your feedback on the management for them to follow up. Thank you once again for taking your time to give us your feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The Manager Claire at the Holiday Inn Express, Birmingham was brilliantly helpful and pleasant at all times. Nothing was too much to ask of her. She went the extra mile.

I and my colleagues will return again. We were VERY HAPPY with the service, the rooms and the location but most importantly we were made to feel very welcome and always met with a smile and excellent customer service from Claire.

Thanks Claire.

Regards, Christina Henri

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC i am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again. I have passed your comments on to Claire.
Strathaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Not much to say about this-I've been twice in the past few months and its relatively cheap, close to the airport (£8 in a taxi) and has a pub beside it. The windows are well insulated form the noise of the M42 motorway and the airport. Rooms are clean. There is a small bar downstairs with vending machines.Staff are polite and reception is ok.Its a hotel that HIE have taken over from someone (its not one of the new ones) and have made a good fist of. There is wi-fi but you need to pay for it
Be warned, there is nothing apart from the pub so dont plan a long stay and expect to see the sights!
Summary is, its not spectacular but if you want somewhere for the night, either for the airport or the NEC, you wont be dissapointed

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC i am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!