“Ideal Overnight Stay”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed for the one night prior to our holiday. In the past we have used most of the hotels in the area and I have to say this was by far the best value for money. It is true to say that it is not as fancy as many of the others we have used however we had a good relaxing stay even thought it was for one night. The staff were very good as was the location. We needed an early morning taxi to the airport which is only a short trip. There is a pub next door which serves good quality bar food and it is in easy walking distance on what was a wet night. All in all will use again on our next stop over and would recommend it for a short stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
CarlaHayes, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC i. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC

Reviewed September 25, 2010

My sister and I stayed here one night to visit the LG arena. This hotel is spotless, the room was very clean and had everything you needed. The staff are lovely and friendly and helpful. The breakfast was mainly continental but scrambled eggs and sausages Very good breakfast, all fresh, loads of it. Extremely impressed with it considering we only paid £64.80p for 2 off us. Would definately recommend this to others and would stay again if in the area. One downside that is nothing to do with the hotel but it is a far distance from New Street station. taxi was £20 and its not really as close to the arena as you think and is surrounded by nothing but roads. Pub next door very nice and friendly and not bad priced. I loved the ice machine in reception that you just help yourself to.

• Stayed: September 2010
CarlaHayes, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Friendly welcome, helpful reception staff, though not well informed on local area and amenities. 7pm and I asked about food and was directed to take away leaflets which deliver Free (within a mile of the takeaway, but were are 8 miles from the nearest, I Googled them, and I just wanted something quick and easy)

Receptionist recommended the little owl pub next door. She said to get there early as it gets very busy. Well, there's nowhere else round here to eat within walking distance.

Queued up at the bar for a good 15 minutes to get served, friendly bar staff but slow, the type that watch Guinness pouring when they could be ringing the till at least.

The Little Owl is Not a real pub, its more like something you would find at a Theme park.
They have a selection of Wines and the beer I had was good.

For food I ordered "Hunters Chicken" with BBQ Sauce it took 10 minutes to arrive and the chicken was foul (Sorry, I couldn't resist) it was Dried out, luke warm Chicken breast with Cold chips and peas, not surprisingly on a stone cold plate.

The waitress was very nice, took it back and 5 mins later brought me a steaming hot version of the same thing. The chicken was still dry, but smaller than the last and just as tasteless. She offered to do another one, I said it's alright, I am really hungry, it'll have to do.

So the waitress, who was really very nice to me and most helpful, asked if I would like a free pudding. I had the Banoffee Cheesecake which made up for it and they redeemed themselves.

How hard is it for places like this to employ cooks who can, how shall I put this... Cook?
I mean the food they hand out, and not just here, is out of a bag, whacked in a microwave and voilà, your meal is served.

Back to my Room, it looked clean but on closer inspection looked like it had been given a wipe over with a small damp cloth. Usual Dust balls under the bed, stains on underside of toilet seat, dust, muck and hair in corners of bathroom. Overall though it felt clean and I was being picky.

The shower was hot and great, I had two showers even though there was blood stains on the shower curtain. Not a lot like some slasher had been in there, just blood, but I saw it and I'm shortsighted.

The complimentary tray had Coffee and Tea and when I went to reception they were happy to give me me as two packets of coffee and a tea bag don't last long round me.
Plus there were No biscuits, darn it.

The bed was very comfortable, almost like one of those spacematresses, I just felt it mould to my body as I drifted off. Nice clean sheets and I was warm and snug.

Woke up 7 hours later full of the joys of spring. Not a noise, squeak or creak. Just a good nights sleep.

Breakfast time was a big disappointment.

Continental breakfast is not like this. Just because they have miniature croissants and pastry and orange juice doesn’t make it continental. I saw cereal but no ham, cheese or any of that.

There was hideous scrambles egg that was runny and solid at the same time. The coffee is cack and those sausages should not be allowed.

I asked the woman who came out of the kitchen with a big tray, is that the Bacon? She looked like I'd asked her to show me her lady bits and said "We don't do bacon" OK, alright, just asking.

Anyway, the breakfast was pants, so bad I didn't even help myself for later. Didn't make a sandwich, take a roll, grab a banana, nothing. I just got out feeling hungry.

Car park was full of cars that probably to airline passengers, took a while to find a space when I arrived. Seems Secure and well lit. Time to check out. I didn't, I just left and my parking ticket opened the barrier and I drove out wondering if I should go back and pay for the parking. I decided against it as I was late for a very important date.

This is not a bad place, but corners have been cut, agency staff are employed who don't know where anything is and the cleaners could do with a kick up the you know.

That's it, my first hotel review, I hope it helps.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisPTaylor

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. I personally take the time to review the comments / feedback from our guests and utilise any feedback received for recognition / training purposes. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

Car park £7.50 per day, even for residents. Just try and argue & you get a spotty faced kid laying down the law!
Bar / restuarant serving simply awful food & very rude staff. By the way if you do decide to stay here, get your final drinks well before time as you have no chance even 5 minutes before time (unless your local).
Would I recommend this hotel? NO WAY!
By far the biggest problem is the staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC. I personally take the time to review the comments / feedback from our guests and utilise any feedback received for recognition / training purposes. The Pub next door to the hotel is not owned or run by the hotel i will pass your comments on to the management at the pub and make sure this is followed up. Thank you for chosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

stayed here for two nights whilst taking my wife and two young boys to drayton manor,price was £39 a nite including breakfast!! room was spotless, staff were polite and friendly,breakfast was varied and plentifull, overall had a super stay and would recommend to anyone for a short stay.pub next door is cosy and welcoming 10mins to birminghan centre and 20 mins drive from drayton manor!!!

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Could not fault this Holiday Inn Express. It was clean, comfortable and staff were friendly and polite, especially Claire, the Manager on duty. She went out of her way to help us with directions and advise. Breakfast was good, better than some Holiday Inn Express we have stayed at before. I would definately recommend it to anybody flying from the airport or visiting the NEC or anywhere in Birmingham. We will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
CarlaHayes, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Lovely staff, great duck promotion kids felt really welcome and valued