“Very disappointing indeed...”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We decided to stay at this hotel as it was close to the LG Arena and we had a wonderful experience at the Holiday Inn in Calais last year. Not only was the concert we were due to attend postponed (disappointing in itself) but we were greeted by less than attentive reception staff on arrival. Nevertheless, we checked into our room, and although basic it would suffice. The facilities in the room were fine. Nothing special, but fine for one night's stay. But, we would never recommend this hotel to anyone who actually wanted to spend a restful night! We were kept awake until gone 3am by a very loud, drunk group in the lobby area who (according to the receptionist on check out) were "disappointed about the concert so just had a bit of a party" - no apology for a) nobody responding to my numerous calls to reception about the noise and b) for the terrible inconvenience of a restless night. Faced with a long drive home, we expected an apology but got nothing. Very, very disappointing indeed. Breakfast was average, and the overall feeling of the hotel was a cold one. Just not very welcoming at all. Broken glass in the car park on arrival also... When the concert is rescheduled, we'll avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Personally, I would stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for your review, it is very disappointing that the concert you were hoping to see was cancelled, I do hope you are able to see the artist at a later date. I am very disappointed that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, also that your sleep was disturbed by other guests. I would like to offer my sincere apology any inconvenience during your stay. Should you wish to give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and restore your faith in our hotel please do contact me directly to make a booking, I would welcome the opportunity to personally welcome your back to the hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just arrived back from a one night stay at the express holiday inn. Great value for money,room was very clean and had everything you require for an overnight stay. Staff were attentive and friendly and very helpful with taxi bookings etc. CLose to the LG arena, taxis a little on the expensive side. The real bonus about staying at this hotel is the complimentary breakfast which includes bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, choice of breads, cereals, yogurts and fresh fruit. Very attentive and friendly staff. Would easily stay here again. Word of warning-avoid the pub situated next door-staff not friendly and food appaling!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that the team were friendly and helpful, also that you were able to enjoy our breakfast offering. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel recently. The staff are friendly. The bar is pricey and the pub next door is much cheaper and only a 30 sec walk away.

I found the room clean. Internet is extra so use a dongle. The tv was disappointing. No freeview, kept changing screen format..

Now to the bad stuff. I paid for parking in reception and left my reg number. The car park payment machine was bagged up out of use until my last day.

I check out. Pay the room and parking then get a scam letter 2 weeks later demanding £100..

I'm sure someone thought this was a great idea but sending threatening invoices to the hotel guests seems like a bad idea to me

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Lesleylouise345

Thank you for writing a review on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, I’m pleased our team were friendly during your stay with us. I would like to assure you that once your car registration is entered in to our car park system having been paid for, no additional parking charges are made. We have experienced some teething problems during the changeover of car park systems, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here during crufts quick check-in with no hassle staff were very helpful and friendly
Breakfast could be better but not to bad
Good location for events at nec we took a taxi cost around 6 quid
Theres a lovely pub right beside hotel which serves really good meals at a good price
over all a nice hotel would stay again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review on your stay with us during Crufts, thank you for your positive comments regarding our team, I am pleased our location suited your visit to the show. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Had a business meeting here which was convenient for all. Food was appalling in the hotel at lunch and breakfast . Went to the pub next door for dinner . Room had all that was needed except the bins being emptied outside the bedroom window at 5am. Hotel reception staff good and very friendly . This hotel will be ideal for one night stay before a holiday but don't make a weekend of it !

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, I am pleased that you found our location convenient for your meeting, also our team friendly; however I am disappointed that our food options did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking to improve the service and product we provide to our guests. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed just one night for Meat Loaf's outstanding performance. The Hotel was adequate, and the comfort was good, but the standard of service was well below par for an IHG property.

1. We paid for 24 hour Wi-Fi access but the room we were in could not receive any wi-fi signal and the cellphone's 3G was so pitifully weak that I could not email my weekly report into work. It turns out I should have had a "voucher" from reception to access the wi-fi!

2. We found the policy of not accepting cash at the bar unfriendly. I do not like any "extras" appearing on the room bill and prefer to keep accommodation and other incidentals entirely separate. I always pay cash for a couple of drinks from the bar, or any meals taken and a hotel should be able to cater for this simple request.

3. The twin bedded room was quite obviously made up for a single person with only one set of towels laid out. Had to hunt for the second set - top shelf of wardrobe, right at the back!

4. Breakfast was below par - fatty bacon dripping with grey matter ( I know it's just water reacting with the fat in the frying pan, but it does look unappetising and only takes seconds to remove) with undercooked sausages. Maybe it's because it's Saturday and things are a little more laid back, but then again, weekend customers are more likely to be paying for the stay using their own money!

The hotel was clean, bright, modern and the facilities were what one would expect of a Holiday Inn Express, the lack of attention to the finer details was disappointing.

Room Tip: If your rate includes Wi-Fi, you need a voucher from reception. If you need important communicati...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the hotel, I am disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately we do not accept cash after 10.30pm for security reasons, however charges can be made to your room and those charges split from your accommodation costs on check out. The second set of towels are stored on the lower shelf of the wardrobe, I have instructed our Housekeeping Manager to ensure the whole team are retrained. Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast, we are continually looking at ways to improve our complimentary breakfast service. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travel plans bring you back to the area.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have been here many times for business meetings as it is very convenient to Airport and NEC.Staff are extremely helpful.Rooms are fine but only 1 socket is available for either laptop or phone charger.Negative point is that wifi is not free.Breakfast is selfservice and has good choice of cereals,fruit yogurt,hams,cheeses and 4 choices of cooked food.The free shuttle bus is no longer vailable.It went from free to a charge,then no shuttle.It only ran from 5pm to 9pm anyway.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us, I am pleased that you found the team on duty during your stay helpful. We are currently reviewing the WIFI options offered to our guests, and thank you for your feedback. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
1 mi away
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#36 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!