“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night while attending a concert at the LG Arena. The hotel was exactly what I was expecting from what was shown on their website. Staff were friendly, speedy check-in and check-out, rooms were clean and modern with good facilities and breakfast was perfectly fine. I don't know what others who complain about the breakfast were expecting but this suited both myself and my husband perfectly fine. Only one disadvantage is that I think this hotel is slightly too far to walk to the LG but apart from that, I definitely wouldn't have any hesitation in staying here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for the time you have taken to review your stay with us whilst visiting the LG Arena. I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable also that the team were friendly. I hope we will be able to welcome you and your husband back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Magor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Holiday Inn Express is ideal for a short break or for staying overnight if going to the NEC/LG Arenas.
We've stayed here several times now - mainly as their prices are cheaper than other 'value' hotels in the area.
The rooms are starting to look a little tired and I see from their response to another review that they are due a refurb. Well if you are, please provide drawers - I really don't want my 'smalls' on a shelf or keep them in my case..oh and a power point by the bed so we can put a phone charger in overnight and use the mobile clock..
Breakfast was fine - not fine dining but good quality and plenty to be had.
The only thing I hate about the hotel is the charging for car parking...why?? When we visited the parking barrier was up and the pay station was covered up. I assumed parking was now free but was charged on checking out. They are having a new system put in for the car park but I still cannot understand why they charge..if they do it so non-guests can go to the NEC/LG then hotel guests should park for free
Another issue - they used to provide a bus service to the LG Arena but they don't do this any longer. They do provide a shuttle to Birmingham International but the last return is 8pm.. not much use when a concert finishes at 10:30pm. We were advised to get a taxi back.. bet the young lady on reception had never tried getting a taxi along with (possibly) hundreds of others..

As long as you remember that this is a 'value' brand you get what you pay for. Comfy bed and bit of brekkie. If you want more then pay double and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If booking on the 'net see if a double with sofabed is available - usually for same price. You...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, also for choosing to stay with us on multiple occasions. I am pleased to read that in general your stay meet with your expectations. Thank you for feedback as the points you have raised do assist us in making improvements to both our product and service. The refurbishment of our bedrooms will be commencing shortly, I hope that you will be returning to the hotel in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn because we wanted to eat at the pub by the side of the hotel, which was a mistake, however, the holiday Inn Express was clean, a little dated but clean non the less. We had a comfortable stay, but missed the size of bed you get at the Premier. Overall, I would stay again, staff very polite. And as the old saying goes, you pay for what you get, and this hotel did exactly what it said on the tin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that your stays with us meet your expectations. We have plans to start refurbishing our bedrooms which is very exciting; I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should your travel plans bring you back to the area to experience our new and improved bedrooms.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After reading some of the reviews here you could easliy be put off even considering staying here.
I could not fault the stay I had; clean quiet and comfortable, ideal after travelling and busy days at the NEC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for take time to comment on your stay, I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, whilst visiting the NEC. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed over for one night when we were at crufts this year. The room was atrocious! Firstly, I booked a twin and was given a double and was then told that there was no other twin rooms available. The vents at the top of the windows were jammed open so the room was noisy and a draught came in all night.

The shower was not useable - there were two shower heads, one in the position you would expect the shower head to be and the other was attached to the wall adjacent to the taps at the tap height! The one at the top was not connected, the lower one was the only shower head that supplied water. When this shower was turned on the pipe was burst and water sprayed out from the sides.

The tissue box in the bathroom was empty

We were supplied 1 towel each!

There was no remote for the TV.

This experience could not have been any worse and I would warn everyone not to stay here

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gemma M
Dear Guest, I have a concern that your review may be regarding anouther hotel, as there are no vents at the top of our windows and none of our rooms have two shower heads. However should you wish to discuss your comments please contact me directly.

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

For somewhere to lay your head whilst working or attending a show at the NEC, this is ideal. Nice reception, easy and quick check in,,,,no problems there. Plenty of staff,,,easy
Rooms - bit knackered, tired looking, saggy bed, thin duvet, but this isn't the £170 per night Hilton.
Breakfast....good coffee ,,,but the rest is poor, lousy cheap bacon and sausages, powdered scrambled eggs,,,so give those a miss and have cereal,,,
Best thing about this hotel...2 things...1). You can be in any hall in the NEC in 10ishminutes....and 2) is the fantastic pub next door (the little owl)but I will review that separately.

Room Tip: We booked 3 rooms for 4 nights, all were pretty much the same.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for viewing your stay with us, I was pleased to read that on the whole the hotel meet your needs and your approval, my apologies that our complimentary breakfast offering did not meet your expectations, we are continually reviewing our offering and value your feedback. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should your travel plans bring you back to the NEC in the future.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Excellent everything, what can I say, well from start of booking to checking out the overall experience and customer service received was outstanding.
Booked for a show at the NEC and was thrilled all went to plan, as we know these things sometime dont. My room was lovely and relaxing, quiet and at a good temperature, far too many stays in other brands of hotels fail to offer a nice comfortable temp in the rooms I think.
The bar and looby area were busy but always clean, pleanty of staff around being attentive to all customer needs.
Breakfast was the same, plenty of choice, plenty of staff, comfortable and enjoyable, just what you need when your enjoying your coffee before the start of a busy day.
Check out was swift and efficient and I felt the price reflected my stay.
Overall
Excellent
Efficient
Comfortable
Just what you need when visiting the NEC
:-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was pleased to read that your stay was a comfortable one and our team made you welcome. I do we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.