“Breakfast poor!”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 5, 2012

For the cost of the hotel I would have expected a full cooked breakfast and not just scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans! However I loved the choice of a hard bed or a soft bed!
Check in and out was slick but despite the fact that the car park barrier was broken I still had to pay the £7 to get out.

• Stayed: October 2012
MJT123, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. Our complimentary breakfast offering is a continental breakfast with selected hot item, of which we currently have three. I would like to offer my apologies that our offering did not meet your expectations. We are continually reviewing our breakfast selection and your comments are valuable. I hope that if you visit the area in the future we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and i stayed for on night after seing a concert at the LG ,we booked it because on the website it stated a ten min walk from nec,it was 15 mins by taxi also stated free shuttle when actually £4.00 each way ,rooms were fine ,the girl on reception when checking out required a personality transplant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
MJT123, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I would firstly like to apologies for any inconvenience felt during your stay. Our website states that we are on the NEC site, we do offer a shuttle service to the Train Station at a cost of £2.00 per person return, which takes less than 5 minutes, from the Station it is a short walk to the NEC and LG Arena. If you would like to contact me directly to advise which other site you booked through I will of course investigate, to ensure all websites through which our hotel are be booked is correct.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

stayed here before flying out to jamaica next day got a good deal with 2 weeks parking for £100 well worth the money
we had a ground floor room,it was clean and tidy with a good size bed there was no noise and found the room ideal for us,we did not have dinner here we went the pub next door which was cosy ad small, fish and chips £20 expensive but nice and a few beers which was average price.
we had breakfast the next morning in the hotel which was included in the price just toast and a coffee which was fine for us as we was going the airport and having something there.
The reception ordered us a taxi which was £6.00 to the Birmingham airport.
We found the staff helpful and chatty
and would stay here again the price was excellent.

Room Tip: ground floor room as it was very quiet for us
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your stay, thank you also for your positive comments regarding the team, which I will ensure they are made aware of. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked 2 rooms for the 22 September as we were attending an event at the NEC. On going to use the toilet in our room for the first time I noticed that there was faecal matter on the back on the seat - having to clean a toilet seat before you use it is not something I would expect to have to do when staying at a well know chain. The underneath wasn't clean either. I then noticed long dark hairs on the floor behind the door and next to the bin. (While I'm at it the mouldy grouting in the shower wasn't very pleasant either). What really makes me mad though is that I complained to reception on leaving the next day and was asked for my email address so I assumed I would receive a written apology. The following week I then completed a customer satisfaction survey that I was sent by Holiday Inn, listing my complaints and ticking the box to allow them to contact me about my comments but over 4 weeks later neither the hotel or Holiday Inn themselves have bothered to contact me, hence this report on Tripadvisor. I could also complain about the breakfast but enough people have done it on here so you get the gist!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for the time you have taken to write your review. My sincere apologies, that your stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you also for completing our Guest Review Survey, it is my policy to respond to all guests who request such, I will investigate why you did not receive a response. Feedback is a valuable tool, which allows us to continue to improve our product and service. I hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel bedrooms are pretty average - a bit better than a Travelodge. But the bed..and the pillows - were VERY comfortable. And the room was very quiet - so I had a very good, sound sleep.

However, the food.... Truly awful dinner!! We had burger and chips - how simple can you get? We waited over an hour for it to arrive, and when it did, it was cold, and the burger was burned. Never again!! And we were not alone...EVERYONE in the restaurant was complaining. So...you've been warned - whatever you do, don't eat here.

The breakfast is help yourself, but again it's a very restricted choice,and the quality is not good.

Altogether a disappointing stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you found your room comfortable and that you slept well. I would like to offer my apologies for the disappointing dinner experience, we are currently looking at our dinner offering and the service provided in order to make swift improvements to meet all our guest expectations.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great place to stay when visiting NEC - which is within 3 minutes drive. Staff, location, and hotel all good. Only down side is the car parking charges of £7 per day. Vantage Inn next door to Hotel is a nice place to relax and eat. Will stay here again the next time I'm down here

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you found the hotel convenient for the NEC and I will pass on your positive comments to the Management of the Little Owl. I hope that we will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

No problems checking in, but when we got out of the lift, on the second floor,....the smell,
damp and foisty.,the same when we arrived in our room. Back to reception and said we were not happy.
To their credit we were given another room which was clean and fresh,We got the feeling that the rooms on the ground floor had been updated.
The breakfast,I have to say was poor at best.The scrambled eggs were the worst I've ever tasted
It was very busy at breakfast and there was not enough cups or bread which is bad management,
The Little owl pub next door is very nice.I would advise to book a table if you intend to dine as it gets very busy

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that our reception team were able to accommodate your request to change rooms. Your constructive feedback is appreciated; as we are actively looking to make improvements to the service we provide. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again, should your travel plans bring you to the area in the future.