“bodies in beds”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here during an event at the NEC. You can only imagine how many people pass through this place. And it shows. Its tired, and so are the staff. It all needs a refresh. The breakfasts are similar to what the residents of the International Space Station might try to digest, appalling regurgitated and reheated gruel. I wont be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
MJT123, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review. As you have commented the hotel can be very busy especially during events at the NEC, therefore we do have a refurbishment plan in place to ensure that the hotel is refreshed periodically; it is disappointing that this was not apparent during your stay. My apologies that you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast, we do try to cater for all tastes, with hot items, pastries and healthy choices available, such as fruits and yogurts available.

I hope that if you do visit the area again you will consider staying with us, so that we may restore your faith in our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Had a over night stay at this hotel.Very handy for nec.My room was very clean and comfortable.My only complaint was the coffee it was awful thankfully they had some good old twinning a tea.The eatery next door called the owl inn was brilliant.We had a very enjoyable meal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shropshireclun

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, I was pleased to read that your stay was comfortable and convenient for the NEC, also that the Little Owl was enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place should be shut down for a week and the staff, including management, should be retrained. Correction, it may take 2 weeks! this is, no doubt, not the same hotel my wife and I visited a couple of years ago. Being a member of their Priority Scheme, one would expect a reasonable service, not here. On arriving and later heading to the bar we were told that there weren't any draught beers available and haven't been for four days and that the gas had run out anyway. After having ordered bottles, a 'higher' member of staff came along and proceeded to pull the beers through saying that the gas had not run out and the beers were all available. On a later occasion, at least six members of staff just walked behind the bar without batting an eyelid at the 6 people waiting to be served.Eventually the girl on the front desk came through to serve us. Then we were not allowed to pay cash after 10.30 but had to put it on our room numbers, but couldn't unless we pre-registered a card at the front desk.
That was the bar, previously we had encountered further problems with the restaurant. As the bar area is close to the ( I'll use the term loosely ) restaurant area (being just bare tables) we looked across to see only about 8 people seated, four of which were eating. So we decided to ordered some food, ' Sorry there is an hour and a half waiting time ' said the waiter ( I'll use that term loosely as well ). 'WHAT!!....but there's only 4 waiting!!' We gave up and went to a lovely Indian Restaurant down the road (The Jilabi - see my review).
Breakfast...ha, ha....another delightful episode.
No cutlery out for a start. No bread and no jams. Oh, and no cups for coffee/tea etc. I saw one chap complaining about the lack of cups, the waiter went out to the kitchen and brought him, just him, one cup! Farcical! A loaf of bread, still in its packet, was then brought out, spoons for cereal were not replaced. The hot breakfast comprised of sausages, beans, scrambled eggs. Of which at 9.10 (breakfast served until 9.30) there was none there. So, the next complaint 'Where's the hot breakfast?' was replied with 'Sorry we've run out, and in any case it's free so you get what we have'....'NO...it's complementary and in your brochure it says 'includes sausages, beans and scrambled eggs!'' With that, they brought out 6 badly burnt sausages (which were impossible to cut) for the remaining dozen or so people that were still waiting. Needless to say, there were complaints galore, and not just from us!
I could go on, but I've better things to do with my time, like booking into a decent hotel in the NEC area!
Oh,just one thing my wife has reminded me. The sink was totally blocked in the room, and when we reported this early evening, we were told no one was available to clear it until 7 in the morning! A novelty, cleaning our teeth underneath the shower.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank lordkb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear lordkb,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback about your recent stay with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the misdemeanor you experienced. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel and I have already documented your comments. I want to assure you that your comments about the breakfast options has been documented and will certainly be looked into. It is the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the NEC - great location for this and the rooms were basic but clean. Breakfast... what breakfast? We had to get cups from the coffee machine in reception, hardly any cutlery, only scrambled egg left for breakfast at 08.50am. My husband queued for the beans and sausage, after a wait of 20 mins he gave up and made toast. When he did hear that the sausages had arrived he went straight back and got the last one.When I went to see what my chances of hot food were i gave up as there were no plates left to put anything on - which again there was only egg left again!!. when I told reception of the breakfast farce she wasn't really bothered and from reading the other reviews it think its a daily occurrence. Our suggestion to the management of this chain is to go in an try to get to breakfast yourself. I has to stop off at motorway services on way back to Durham as I was starving.

Room Tip: specify double or you get twins
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding you stay, I would like to offer my apologies for your disappointing experience during breakfast, and any inconvenience felt. I have discussed your comments with our Breakfast team and are making operational changes to improve our breakfast service. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again, should you visit the area in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed for one night in early October as a last minute extra night stopover whilst on business at the NEC.

All seemed well with the room despite the fact that my "double" had 2 single beds rather that the expected standard double-sized bed.

However, after checking out, I called the hotel on the same day to advise that I'd left my iPhone charger in the wall socket above the desk and thought that it would be a simple task for them to confirm that it was logged and left with other "lost property" items.

No such luck I'm afraid. This hotel needs to understand that there should be a "no tolerance" policy among staff members where a phone charger or anything else for that matter, isn't reported at the time of room cleaning and preparation.

If the hotel is lax in this type of situation, I'm afraid that it will lead to greater and greater risk taking amongst staff to the point where far more valuable items than a phone charger won't be declared when found by staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear RAYDIANT,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Regards,

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 14, 2012

As we travelling from Birmingham airport on a morning flight we chose this hotel to stay the night before. It meant no early morning journey to the airport and a full night sleep in a warm, clean and comfortable room. Staff were very friendly at check in.
There were a couple of other bonuses to this hotel
The Little Owl pub next door served great meals - again relaxing start to hols
Parking at the hotel was included for upto 15 days with our booking and then just £2.00 each for a transfer to the railway station where there is a free monorail shuttle to the airport.
Would definitely use this hotel again if flying from Birmingham

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at our hotel. I was happy to read that your stay was comfortable and convenient for the night prior to the start of your holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great location for the concert we attended.Helpful and friendly staff, rooms fine, plenty of parking (at £7 a day). Not enough staff on duty for the breakfast period!!! It was absolute chaos!
At one point there were no trays/cups/mugs/glasses/plates or cereal bowls available,but, I did manage to "grab" the last sausage and crust of bread.
Hope this was an unusual occurance and not the norm (we have already booked again for a concert in June 2013)
Agree with other reviewers about bar prices and the added bonus of The Little Owl next door. By the amount of Domino pizza delivery boys turning up at the reception desk, maybe the hotel's evening "meal menu" needs a serious review. We "lost" our barman for 5 - 10 minutes everytime a guest ordered a meal from the bar.
You can only order drinks after 1045pm if you have pre authourised your credit/debit card to your room, on check-in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you found our team helpful and friendly, and that our location was convenient. Your constructive feedback regarding our breakfast and dinner service is appreciated and assists us in making improvements. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
1 mi away
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#36 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!