“Room OK but make sure you avoid the breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed here on business. Room was above what I'd call standard Holiday Inn fare. It was fairly large and comfortable. Had to get an ironing board from reception - would be nice if they could provide one in room. If you want to be near the city centre DO NOT pick here - you are at least a £20 cab fare ride away. Its good for the NEC and airport but nothing else.

Breakfast was dire - very limited choice, of beans, sausage or egg with a few cereals and pastries. Very poor presentation and quality. But the place is cheap so you get exactly what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC.

I was pleased to read that you found your stay a comfortable one. Our location, as you have said is ideal for the NEC and the LG Arena; however we are a 20 minuet car journey from Birmingham City Centre. I apologise that our complimentary breakfast did not meet with your expectations; I am continually looking to improve our buffet display, and thank you for your comments.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back over the next show you attend at the NEC.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed March 25, 2012

I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn for a while and wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. Our twin room was on the third floor, and although it looked out over some bins and staff car park, there were fields beyond. The room was pleasantly decorated, a decent size and the flat screen tv was well placed for watching in bed. The lighting was good, beds comfortable with soft or firm pillows and the bathroom was clean and tidy. Strangely, although the hotel offers a variety of complimentary products (if you forget your own), they do not supply shampoo and conditioner - which was rather an irritation as we decided not to bring any and there were no shops nearby. There is a pleasant pub restaurant immediately next door which had a decent menu and the free buffet breakfast was adequate with cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt, beans and scrambled egg. The restaurant is basic but fine and looks out over greenery. My one gripe is the shuttle bus which leaves from the Birmingham International station. There was no signage and the station staff could only tell us to go to the downstairs bus terminal. Tip - once you get there, go past the taxi's to some white bus shelters, and watch out for the mini van with 'Holiday Inn Express', which stops just beyond them. There are other Holiday Inn's in the area and we bumped into several people who had taken the wrong mini bus and then had to get a taxi to the right hotel.

Room Tip: We were in 319 which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KLmum

Dear Guest

I was happy to read that you found you bedroom comfortable, also that you were able to take advantage of our free breakfast. Whilst we do provide Carex and Imperial leather body wash, we do not provide shampoo; however we are currently reviewing these options. My apologies that you encountered difficulties with our shuttle service, we currently have signs on the shuttle to identify it, I will ensure that our staff give clear directions in future to assist in locating the pickup point.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

At £69 per night including breakfast for three of us - I shouldn't complain. However - the hotel really has only very limited facilities.

The room was clean - but very basic.

The breakfast - plenty of food - but not much choice - no bacon???

The pub next door - expensive pub grub.

The location - DO NOT walk to the LG arena - too dangerous - no pavements! Get a cab - approx £5-£8 or wait for the eight seater minibus that runs only twice an hour!

Will I go again? Probably not - when we next go to the LG arena - I will find somewhere right next to the Birmingham International Station/Airport, which isn't quite so basic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wilky100

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, we appreciate the time you have taken to do so.

I understand from your comments that you found your stay value for money, and the accommodation met your needs. As a limited service hotel our facilities are limited, as you have mentioned. We do strive at all times to meet our guest’s expectations and provide a complimentary breakfast daily for your enjoyment, unfortunately bacon is not one of the hot items we service.

I am disappointed that we did not meet with all your expectations; I do hope that should you visit the NEC or LG Arena in the future that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here for a concert at the NEC. Had a family room for 2 adults and 2 children. Was excellent value and the room was totally fine for the 1 night we needed. However, they only offer a shuttle to the train station until 8pm. When I say shuttle, I mean a people carrier that can seat 8 people so if demand is high, expect to wait. The walk from the station to the NEC is not too far but to get back is another matter. You could walk but it's quite a distance from the NEC, particularly with 2 young children and no pavements - even the girl at reception described it as dangerous. So we walked back to the train station and got a taxi which cost £7. We saw lots of other hotels picking up their guests on shuttles, so was a bit miffed really.

They also charge £7 to park, even for guests which just seemed like a rip off.

Food at the bar is limited to 4 pizzas or a burger and they ran out of all lager while we were there - saturday night, st Patrick's day and rugby on the big screen - not rocket science is it?!

Also they don't do bacon at breakfast - possibly the only hotel I have ever stayed in that does not offer bacon with their cooked breakfasts - but cannot imagine why not!

Was ok for what we wanted but next time I will shop around more than I did this time and expect there are better options to be had.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank glitterbomb4ever

Dear Guest

I am glad that you found your accommodation excellent value for money, and you will be pleased to know we have improved our dinner offering to include many more dishes. My apologies that the bar did not meet your needs on the night of your stay, I have taken steps to ensure this will not happen again. I am disappointed that our free breakfast with hot options did not meet your expectations; unfortunately bacon is not one of the hot items we offer.

Our shuttle bus is a complimentary service, during high demand periods the availability is limited, we also provide a taxis phone at the front desk, should you find this more convenient. There is also a taxis rank at the NEC/ LG for your return journey. We do not advise that our guests walk to the NEC/ LG as no paths have been laid.

I hope that if your travel plans bring you to the area in the future we will have the opportunity to welcome you, and your family back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Have stayed here many times now and Hotel is lovely, rooms big, clean and very comfortable, staff are very helpful, someone next to my room was having a party and I called down to reception and they promptly send someone up, it did not stop the noise but called them again and after them coming up the second time silence from the room next door. We go to the Little Owl for food next door to the hotel but have to say the standards seem to have somewhat dropped a little which is a shame as it was a great little put/restaurant.. The Holiday Inn has started to serve food so next time will try this.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel as overlooking the front can be noisy when people coming back a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stayed at the holiday Onn Express at the NEC in Birmingham for two nights, got a good deal at 88 and the hotel was nice, clean and presentable.. Staff- well, ok i guess..bit robotic but they did what they wqere paid to do. cant say they went over and beyond especially when we had a slight issue when checking in (they had taken payment before we arrived so when i tried to pay my card was refused then they realised after about half an hour panic that it was their mistake!!!).

you dont need any form of blankets here..the heating was on full, we couldnt adjust it...many trips taken to the outside area jsut to cool down!!

Al in all we cant complain for our deal. but maybe just turn the heating down a notch!¬ carbon footprint n all that! ;)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lisaequi
Reviewed February 9, 2012

You normally stay with a hotel chain becasue you know what to expect at at any unit in the family chain. This HI-XP fails to live up to the family norm.

I must say the service I reecived from the front desk when I checked in was absolutely wonderful. Naomi was kind, cheerful and went above and beyond helping me. Then I went to my room....

Drab, dingy with an odd decor. During one of the coldest periods in recent history the room was icy and it took me 10 minutes to located the heater and thermostat. It was an odd wall unit that really did not heat the room. Then I went on the internet...

5.5 Mbps for 15 Pounds for 24 hours. I didn't know you would have to pay for a connection that slow. Then I went to bed...

The bed was decent, but it felt short sheeted. The comforter was thin (remember the heater did not heat well) and barealy cam up to my chest. I am not a tall man so when the comforter failed to provide comfort I put on a t-shirt and tried to sleep the best I could. Then I woke up...

I decided to get breakfast. HI-XP normally has decent eggs, ham or sausage adn coffee. Can you really mess that up... Eggs cold and bland but, the sausage was quite good, but no carry out cups for coffee to take to work. Then I got back fro mwork and wanted dinner...

Dinnner? You mean bar food. With no restaurants nearby in walking distance hotel bar food was the only option.

I know I may sound picky. The hotel was functional and in good repair. They had pretty much everything you would need, but except for the front desk service nothing was really good.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business