“Stay OK but food bland”

Ranked #53 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
United Kingdom
“Stay OK but food bland”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night for just one night. Got a nice upgrade so glad of that, nice to have some air conditioning when it's so hot outside. Ate in the restaurant, and I can't believe the change in standard in just one week, when i last stayed here. Last week food was excellent, with a good set of Asian meals. This week it was a total change, limited menu, and what I did have was bland in taste. Shame, as everything else was great with the hotel, nice friendly staff, good location etc.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Wanted an airport hotel that was comfortable. Checked in at a Thursday night which was a little noisy. But checked in and was given an exec room (Priority Club membership does help). Room was perfect very comfortable. Did not take breakfast as was off early for a flight. But no complaints from me. Thank you.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business, not using the airport just visiting a customer close by. The room was clean tidy and generally well appointed.

Somehow I had managed to book (or was allocated) a wheelchair accessible room. This meant the en suite was a walk in wet room, fine as far as it went except the whole room flooded every time I had even a short shower.

Also beware that despite being on the airport perimeter with people arriving 24 hours a day the bar stops serving food at 10pm and after 11pm the room service is limited.

The meal I had in the bar and the breakfasts I had were both good quality and a good selection. My second breakfast had a more limited choice but only because i arrived in the restaurant after a large party of Japanese tourists who were doing an impersonation of locusts hitting a field, as soon as food was put out they emptied the serving plates and the staff were struggling to keep up.

I would certainly go back if working in that area.

Room Tip: Only book / accept a wheelchair access room if you REALLY need it or you may get a flooding bathroom...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

good hotel, rooms good, bar menu okay, didn't eat in the restaurant so can't pass comment. breakfasts great good selection only let down by cheap sausages.

Beer plastic and expensive but that's to be expected.

HI Priority Club member so did quick check out - no bill has since been posted which normally happens

Stayed 5 nights whilst at the NEC

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear gingerdad1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests & this is crucial for us to address any issues that may come up. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked this last minute so that my husband and I could actually spend time together as he is working away from home. On arrival the hotel car park was full because of private functions and we had to wait for a space for about fifteen minutes. Check in was quick. Friendly staff(except the one gentleman on reception who looked at us with disdain when we said we would eat outside the hotel..... "a waste of time when you have a restaurant here"...... At £16 for a chicken tikka of course we were going to eat out!....Room was overlooking the kitchen extractors so we couldn't open the windows for fresh air. Air con noisy and ineffective which was a shame because the hotel was like a sauna..... Drunken guests woke us at 2.30 a.m. coming back to their rooms and running around between rooms for about an hour. Overall I would never pay full price for a room here but as a one night stopover booked at a massive discount we got what we paid for.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear SaraAmr,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Its convenient for Birmingham airport, then again the Travelodge is next door and probably much cheaper. My "upgraded room" was below ground level, so the view was of a concrete retaining wall. Receptionist was polite, but had a "shrug of the shoulders" attitude. Luckily another staff member overheard my discussion about my "upgraded room" and he was able to assist and swap my rooms.

My hotel package included several days parking and a complimentary shuttle bus to the airport. Luckily the driver who took me gave me a contact number, On my return, when the shuttle did not arrive on time, I called the number, only to be told "oh, its not running today, you'll have to get a taxi, or I can phone for one for you". But would the hotel pay for the taxi ...."No".
So, all in all, expensive and certainly not worth the money it cost. And to simply cancel the promised shuttle bus- and not offer to pay for a taxi- terrible customer service.

Room Tip: I have Platinum membership to their loyalty scheme, and got a dingy basement room. Good luck to anyo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear adrianmanion,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A group of us stayed for one night in this hotel as we were flying from the West Midlands airport the next day. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, they gave us a bus timetable for the morning and showed us where we would need to catch it from (conveniently just outside the hotel).

We were then given information about check out times, breakfast, the bar and other services we had access to. One concerning issue that i would have make note of was that as we were walking to our room through the corridor there was a very strong and unpleasant smell of weed, not something you really want as a welcome.

The room itself was small but adequate and equipped with; AC, digital TV, a kettle and hanging for clothing space. The cleanliness was of a high standard ( including bathroom) and i found the bed very comfortable. For me the fact that there was a door in our room connecting the neighboring room, which was not locked, made me uneasy.

Fortunately for our group it included a staff member of the chain 'Holiday Inn' so we received a 50% discount off everything, this made the trip extremely affordable and great value for money. However when considering the full prices against some of the facilities e.g Bar and Parking , i would have to say that it is quite pricey!

Overall it was a pleasant stay and all the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend staying here if you are using the airport as it extremely convenient and less stressful, i don't think i would want to stay there more than a couple of days however.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple