“Better than normal HI”

Ranked #55 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Rutland
“Better than normal HI”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I really liked this hotel. It's a bit noisy being right by the airport and the hotel was maxed out when I got there but the room was very comfortable and quiet. All the amenities were included (especially an iron and ironing board). The restaurant and lounge are were very nice. Staff was cordially and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ryan Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Jeffrey L,

Thank you for sending through the wonderful feedback, it's great to have your opinion.

I am not sure if you have plans to return, however let us know when your next in the area as we would be delighted to look after you once again!

Ryan Yallop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Polish first
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

One night stay for function at Hilton metropole. Lovely modern rooms recently refurbished. Everything we needed except heat the thermostat didn't appear to work. Didn't use facilities as at a function. Found parking easy. Breakfast was quick and plenty. Paid £100 for two people for one night (only hotel with vacancies on that night) Would stay here again if could get at better price. Very happy.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Whingefreezone,

Stranraer in Bonnie Scotland
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Please read carefully all the terrible reviews shown for this hotel I have stayed there but never again.The different points raised are all valid but would remind readers that normally all Holiday Inns especially in Scotland are very good and should not be put off staying in them despite this poor hotel.As a Priority club member it was especially disappointing having to explain to the manager that he should close the rooms I was in, as there was no working TV and the heating system was faulty,.to his credit he did this.The comment concerning the front desk amused me,I was accused to having read a Sunday paper at early morning checkout even though I had not ordered the paper,it was added to my bill and I left it behind and asked for the item to be removed from the bill,,the receptionist in the huff tore the bill up and gave me another one..This was the first time as a member I was subjected to such treatment and would in future look carefully at Trip Advisor before booking

Room Tip: Do not use the ground floor rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Polarross
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Polarross,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and taking the time to write our property a review. I am disappointed to hear about your experience regarding your recent stay with us. I want to assure you that our hotel is proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the staff service and room accommodations you received.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

SOUTHMINSTER
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked a queen double using a groupon deal for Friday / Saturday (12th/13th October 2012)
The room was spacious and clean, more than adequate for our needs. After unpacking we quickly changed into swim wear and used the very appealing pool, jacuuzzi and sauna which I would strongly recommend.
The menu was a bit dissapointing as nothing but omelette for my wife who has coeliac disorder (so no gluten wheat etc) but we used room service on the Friday as we were not sure if there were any other food options in the area and had no desire to drive again after the 3 hour trip. The Hotel offers a free courtesy transfer to the train station which ajoins the NEC (approx 5 mins drive) so we used this on Saturday morning. However the return service was not running when we were ready to go back to the Hotel so we wasted over an hour waiting at the red bus stop before calling the Hotel to find the mini bus was not running. Then had to wait another 20 minutes for a taxi to arrive which to the Hotel's credit was booked and paid for by them. Checked the internet when we got back and found a Harvester which was a 10 minute walk up the Coventry road on the same side as the Hotel and had a good meal (with choices for my wife) so all good. Incidentally breakfast was an excellent self service buffet with attentive waitress service for tea and coffee.
On the whole a very enjoyable experience and a recommended Hotel.which is very close to the airport but you do not hear any noise whatsoever.

Room Tip: Queen doubles are spacious, try and get a room facing the car park as no noise from the airport behi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PHIL S
Dear Guest,

Leeds Uk
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel is right near the airport, you can see the runway from the hotel. Front of house is a little cramped and the staff seem a little stressed.
Rooms have had a bit of modernization, but the standard is not up to the usual Holiday Inn I found generally this hotel seems a little tired around the edges. Beds were the plus point they are comfortable. The bathroom is cramped and dated but clean.

Food in the restaurant was really nice.

The car park is too small for the hotel and finding a space can be a problem plse the is a charge of £15.00 for 24 hours parking including guests.

If I was flying from Birmingham again I might consider this again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrism1966
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review - I apologise we did not meet all of your expectations however happy to read that you had a comfortable stay and you found the service friendly.

Thank you for your time, if you would like to return in the future, please contact myself directly so we can try our best to accommodate any needs you require.

Best regards
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here recently for one night between connecting flights.
The room was in good condition and the bed comfortable. The public areas need a bit of work, they look a bit battered.
Unfortunately, I was suprised to note that on arrival at the airport, I could find no directions to the hotel, no courtesy phone etc - really not good enough for an "airport" hotel. Eventually ended up getting the phone number off the internet (the mobile site is rubbish by the way - you have to pretend to be interested in booking a room before you can get the phone number) and ringing the hotel to arrange for courtesy transport.
The hotel is a few minutes by car from the arrivals hall - don't attempt to walk it.
There is a courtesy bus at certain times of the day.
This hotel has a lot of room to improve - definitely the first step would be adequate signage and a courtesy phone at arrivals - but all in all it served me well as a quiet place to lay my head for a few hours.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mfw100
Dear guest,

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for the past 3 nights (10/10/2012 to 12/10/2012) and although the staff where very helpful and friendly, the state of the room was anything but desirable! Firstly, upon checking into the room I noticed the carpet had not been hoovered for what seemed like weeks! Secondly, when it came to go to bed the mattress was so soft and bouncy that myself or my partner could not get any decent sleep!!!!! The mattresses NEED to be changed for new mattresses ASAP and the cleaning staff need to improve somewhat, especially for the prices they charge!

I can only say, I will not be staying there again! My advice is to book somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank valentina882
Dear valentina882,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry about the mattress and the poor housekeeping service. We will address this points and assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.