“Practically perfect”

Ranked #20 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Practically perfect”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 adults 2 children) chose to stay at the Jury's inn Birmingham mainly because it was the best deal at the time price wise. However, I also had a small check list which included location, large enough room for our family, comfortable big beds and clean. The Jury's inn ticked all these boxes and made our stay practically perfect.
The only down side was that this hotel is bang in the middle of Broad street in the city which has clubs and restaurants in abundance. Perfect for groups of lads and/or girls, hen parties and stag do's. Unfortunately this meant there was quite a lot of noise which kept us awake. We made one call to the reception and this was nipped in the bud by the very assertive manager who also kept us well informed.
There were plenty of staff available who were very friendly, giving activity packs to my young daughter at breakfast and asking if we needed anything more. The buffet breakfast was the usual, cooked and continental, perfect for a hangover cure but also provides a healthy option of fruit and cereal.
Overall I would definately stay here again and may be back with the girls for a night on the town followed by shopping the next day. Both are within walking distance and the Jury's inn is the perfect location for exploring the city on foot.

Room Tip: We had two double beds and a cot for our family or two adults, a 4 yr old and a baby. Plenty of spa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Lets get the positives out of the way first.

This is a modern hotel in a great city centre location with the added benefit of 'on-site' car parking. The decor is up to date and cosmetically the hotel looks great.

The staff appear to genuinely care about providing great customer experience and all were friendly, cheerful and very helpful. Special praise to Paulina A (bar staff) who was a star performer! Provided great service with a cheerful disposition.

Ok now for the one negative experience. I travel extensively for work and stay in numerous hotels across the country but I have seldom experienced such a poor experience at breakfast service!!!

The breakfast is buffet style and quite frankly I have seen better organised chimps tea parties!!

I arrived in the restaurant and waited for someone to take my room number. She then smiled and said help yourself and sit where you like! Give that most tables were either occupied or waiting to be cleared there wasn't anywhere to sit! As I was travelling alone the fact that seating is not allocated meant that I had to get my breakfast first and then wonder expectantly around the restaurant looking for somewhere to sit. Eventually I sat at a table waiting to be cleared as there was no where else free! Once I had finished my fruit and yogurt I wanted some eggs and toast so I be tired back to the buffet. By the time I was served and returned to my table it had been occupied by another guest. I can't blame them but it did mean I had trawl around the restaurant again looking for a seat! This time with my luke warm eggs getting colder by the minute!!

To say the whole set up is a shambles would be an understatement!!! In the end I gave up and dumped my plate on the side grabbed a coffee (cheap and dispensed by an automated be vending machine!) and a banana and returned to my room! The food was also cheap and mass produced! Not what you'd expect in a hotel of this standard these days. I have had better experience at budget lodge type inns on the M6!

Breakfast service really needs to be sorted as it is letting what is otherwise a great experience down!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

On business my first room had not been made up reallocated to another quickly given free wifi for the inconvenience. Nice meal staff very helpful as a woman alone on business I felt ok not uncomfortable. Good breakfast shower did not work but I forgot to tell staff. Could do with free wifi

Room Tip: Room fine no worries
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Clubs playing loud music until early hours and my room was on the 13th floor...
I would never had stayed there apart from my company booked me in.. I will never stay in one of these again... You get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013
Niall M, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Jurys Inn Birmingham. All feedback is important to us so we can help improve the standard of service and customer care we deliver to all our guests.

We are very disappointed that your stay was affected by music from a nearby club. All our rooms are fitted with double glazing which is sound tested to ensure external noise does not disrupt your stay, however on this occasion it has. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and I am contactable on the below email address.

Kindest Regards,

Niall Mitchell
Deputy General Manager
Jurys Inn Birmingham
Niall_Mitchell@jurysinns.com
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

On the plus side this is a great location for the centre of Birmingham and also the night life. The rooms are also large, clean and offer great value for money. However, it's not perfect. Check in was clumsy - big queue, no advice re timings for breakfast or offer of calls etc, and I had to ask for my credit card back after they had swiped because they forgot to return it. Car parking is an additional £14.20 per day and breakfast £10. I would agree with the previous reviewer. The lifts are very noisy and my room wasn't particularly near them. They were noisy all night and sounded more like a passing train. I would recommend that you ask for a room as far away from the lifts as you can on check in. Overall good value and I would stay again but room for improvement.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wolverhampton,Uk
Reviewed July 5, 2013

For those looking to explore birmingham at night this is the place to be. It located right in the centre of broad street with easy access to Chinese quarter and the mailbox which is a 10 minute walk around the canal. Supermarket ,cineworld ,theatre, nightclubs all are within a ten minute walk and it has its own parking though I have to say it is a bit expensive.
For those looking for a quiet walk at night, book elsewhere. The restaurant pushkar on the ground floor serves award winning indian food. I would again recommend Jimmy spices which is just two minute away from the hotel.
Book early as it can be a bit on the pricey side over the weekends.

• Stayed June 2013
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here early July for 1 night mid week. The hotel staff are very friendly and offer good service.

The room itself was large with a large bathroom & clean, comfy bed.

Small irks with the hotel:
No free wifi and the car park is not free if you drive to the hotel (£14.20/day)
Also, the lifts are loud when they move and from what I understand of some other guests in my group, they also heard it noises.

The hotel is on broad street, which in the centre if Birmingham so there is lots and lots of choice for food, drink and entertainment. The canal is only a 2 minute walk away as well.

All considered I would stay again, but would listen for lift noises earlier (rather than the dead if night)!