“Central location”

Jurys Inn Birmingham
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Last minute booking so I could visit friends in Birmingham. Great location and easy to find by car,even if you feel you are driving down a deadened road. Parking by the hotel.
Clean, modern, no frills rooms. Mine had two large double beds, good size and iron and hair dryer.
Walls a little thin, so I was lucky that the girls in the room next to me were quiet for most of the time.
Friendly front desk staff. Only issue was that the staff in the bar that night were serving. Guest who was so drunk he couldn't get his money from his pocket! He in turn decided I was on "the game" !! Funny now, but not at the time!

Room Tip: Room was cold as the staff had turned off the heating
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (4,353)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here with my two daughters 11 and 15. It was relatively easy to find from the train station, about 10/15 minutes walk through the City. The hotel was clean and modern with a huge foyer and plenty of seating areas. We had 2 double beds in our room which were comfortable. The breakfast was good and included a hot meal if desired, with plenty of seating for travellers. The rooms and corridors have been recently refurbished in natural tones. Reception staff were helpful and courteous. We shopped in the Bullring shopping mall which has an excellent selection of shops over 3 floors. We were able to take in a day trip to London and see most of the sights. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and would certainly not hesitate to use it again. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Let me say from the outset that I have stayed at much worse and much better. Ideally situated within the centre of Birmingham, this is a typical city centre hotel which does exactly what it says on the tin. The bedrooms are modern, clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are equally clean and well equipped, however if you like a deep bath then look elsewhere. The baths have got to be the shallowest I have ever come across. That said, as I said they are clean and well maintained (no peeling sealant or rotting surround). If you prefer a shower, then these are absolutely fine and easy to use (unlike some showers elsewhere where you run the risk of 3rd degree burns).

Reception is a rather large area and desk and there were three receptionists on duty when I both checked in and out. The ladies were polite and knowledgeable. There was a small queue to check out, probably due to it being peak check-out time, but I waited no more than three minutes.

The hotel offers a reasonable menu for evening dinner, I cannot comment on the quality of the food (however see Breakfast below), however the prices were on the high end, and quite frankly there is a vast amount of places to eat (and drink) nearby with a plephora of cuisines. Take a walk along the canal to the Mailbox (a 5 minute walk) for even more places to eat and drink.

I have read in other reviews complaints about lift noise. Fortunately I was situated quite away from the lifts, so I wasn't bothered by any noise, if indeed there is any. The simple solution is to ask for a room further away from the lifts.

I would suggest this is not a hotel for a romantic stay, and it does lack bells and whistles, but you get what you pay for, so I dont wish this to be read as a critical comment. I would be more than happy to stay here again, however there are two negative points which I must mention.

1) Charges for internet connection. £1 for an hour, £10 for 24 hours. In this day and age there can be absolutely no justification for charging for internet connection in a hotel.

2) Breakfast. Words almost fail me. I can only describe it as a bun fight at the no-kay coral. Breakfast is totally self service - ok I can live with that, but trying to get a table is something else. This was literally a case of musical chairs (and tables) without the music. The food was average-poor quality, but quite frankly I was happy to leave what I had chosen just to get out of the room. To think that those who choose room only are charged £10 if they decide to go for Breakfast is unbelievable. Considering breakfast is probably the last memory of a stay before checking out, one could be forgiven for basing your entire opinion on this horror of an experience. Breakfast should be a good and quiet start to the day, not a war-zone experience.

In summary:
Good: Room quality and cleanliness. Staff politeness and knowledge.
Bad: Charging for internet connection.
Ugly: Breakfast - the entire experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts if you sensitive to noise.
1  Thank S D
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Nice hotel. Room was large. Some issues with the fact that the water in the shower never got that hot and the room seemed cold despite heating apparently being on and one curtain that was not closing correctly. The breakfast buffet in the hotel was really excellent and the food was cooked perfectly (a rarity in hotels these days). Location is right in the nightlife district of Birmingham near convention centre and numerous good bars. Staff were very attentive and helpful. Good security at night here to get back into the hotel at 3am as I did.

Room Tip: I stayed higher up in the hotel (10th floor). Although there is good double glazing, lower floors ma...
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love the Jury's Inns...did they used to be called Jury's Doyle? This was Broad St Birmingham...nearby multi-story parking put me just a few minutes from the hotel...lots of attractive plazas, courtyard restaurants and nice architecture around there...Arrived at the door..Jury's really do get the balance right...efficient, courteous service, quick helpful reception, very spacious comfortable rooms...in this case I was both an overnight guest and a business user of a conference room...the conference team can't do enough for you...big screen TV for presentations, spare cables to avoid IT disasters...Tony especially helpful here...The overnight was fine, I was given a very big room with two doubles...spotless bathroom, lovely shower, a good breakfast, all the time with attentive, smiling staff who take the time to care. Delegates well looked after, a lunch with plenty of choice...my choice was the mushroom stroganoff, that tasted authentic...There is a glossy metropolitan quality to Jury's, but it's suitably balanced by a very warm and welcoming attitude from the staff...and I look forward to my next stay at one of their hotels.

Room Tip: A great view of the narrowboats on the canal from 1108
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have just had the most wonderful weekend staying at this hotel.This is our 4th visit and can say that on every stay even though it is in the heart of the city there was no noise late at night.It was a very relaxed atmosphere when we came back from our visit to the Symphony Hall in the evening. The food is excellent and all the staff are very polite, well mannered and couldn't do enough for us, making sure our evening meal was in plenty of time before we had to leave for the show. Rooms have been recently refurbished to an exceptional high standard all well designed. Will certainly be visiting again.

Room Tip: The upper floors give an excellent view over the canal if you ask to be on that side of the building...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed on business, the room was nice but walls very thin, I could hear the phone conversations from next door and the TV was very loud, I had to resort to ear plugs to get to sleep.
The breakfast was cold and because they were full it was like a zoo.
On the positive side the staff were very friendly, reception very nice and one young man looking after our lunch buffet was great, even finding me a gluten free bread roll, (thanks again)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
JurysBirminghamMgmt, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Gerremys,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I really do appeciate it.

I'm delighted that you had found so many elements of your stay were so enjoyable, but I am so sorry that your neighbours had caused that disturbance to you.

I will also investigate with regards to your breakfast experience with us and speak with the team about our noted shortcomings there. If you would like to discuss anything further, please don't hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel or by email - anthony_barrett@jurysinns.com.

I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to us here in Birmingham.

Kindest regards