“OK for a city visit”

Ranked #26 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“OK for a city visit”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was dubious about booking this hotel but we got a good deal and so went ahead. On arrival nd check-in we were told we had been upgraded, our room was on 6th floor. The room was smaller than anticipated with a smaaler than usual bathroom with only a shower in it!! All was clean and well maintained, the bed was higher than usual but with a good hard mattress. Breakfast was our only experience of eating here and on both mornings it was a letdown, cold plates lukewarm food, and not enough tea or coffee. Why have a cooking station for eggs when the chef is away for 90% of the time? Would I go back, probably not. On the Saturday evening I went for a drink in the bar, Despite the fact that it was only just after 8.00 the bar was quiet but had obviously been busier as when I sat at a comfrtable table I noticed several tables that were waiting to be cleared and cleaned, this was still the case when I ordered my next drink, surely this isn't Hiltons standard?

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Please accept my apologies for your unenjoyable experience and rest assured that your comments have been taken seriously and shared with the team. I would really welcome the oppounity to discuss this with you further and would be grateful if you could contact me at nicola.underhill@hilton.com

Nicola Underhill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The appearance of the hotel is fine, but beware of problems with the hot-water system. Clearly not just us, as we were advised by staff to run both taps and shower units at the same time to get hot water!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Philip G
Dear Reviewer

Please accept my apologies regarding your unenjoyable experience. As we have had some amiable dialogue off line, I do hope that you are now reassured that this was not our usual standard and that you will reconsider a return to the hotel in the future.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Booked a year in advance to see Micky Flanagan @ NIA on 23/11/2013. Requested a quiet room, were given room on 1st floor (121). First of all the room was nice, clean bathroom Apple Mac etc. Bed not the most comfy and feather pillows (not a fan but not an issue). The location of the room seemed to be above the hotel bar and over looking the front of the hotel, so traffic and noise. However we thought we would be getting in late so should not be too much of an issue. We were we wrong there seems to be no sound proofing of this place, noise from other rooms and a club over the road that kicks out in the early house so constant noise throughout the night!!. I could understand us being put in this dreadful room if we had not booked in advance however a year is ridiculous. Lucky enough i only had a couple of drinks in the afternnon so we could not stand it any longer and checked out at 4!!! We complaned at the desk but the porter did not seem bothered so getting any sort of refund would have fell on deaf ears.

So if your looking for a hotel near the NIA this is perfect. However if you want any sleep (which is what a hotel is designed to do) Stay elsewhere. This place really gave our weekend a sour taste.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
2 Thank Ollie M

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Checked in for a weekend away, with my partner, we were both very unimpressed, small rooms, very creaky bed. Expected more from a new hilton especially at the price we paid, stayed at crowne plaza a few months ago and had a far better experience!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Treve1

West Midlands
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had booked this weekend break for my husbands birthday on a romance package. The first room we were shown was on the first floor and was obviously not the romance package I had booked. A quick call to reception to confirm my thoughts was confirmed and the Girl informed me she needed to speak with her supervisor. We received a call back after 5 minutes and was asked to collect new keys from reception for a room on the third floor which I did I was told they would add the romance details later which they did on our return from our meal out a bottle of wine and a bowl of fruit was added. The bathroom was very small and our room was near to the bars but we managed some sleep on our first night.
When we went for breakfast we were told we were on a room only booking but I informed the girl it was definitely BB on a romance package and she added our room number to the list.
Saturday night we had very little sleep owing to very inconsiderate guests and the noise from a bar close by, we had not been to sleep at 04.45am thanks to a group of noisy guests in and out of each others room calling Alex let me in.
Sunday morning we go to breakfast and again we are told we are room only and after a phone call to Jo who also said we were room only very embarrassing in front of other guests I might add felt like we were trying to get breakfast for nothing. Another trip to reception and confirm we are BB and makes a call to the dining room no apology from reception or the dining room. We have stayed here three times before without any real problems we have experienced noisy guets but thats not the hotels fault. I think communication needs to be better regarding guest information passed to the dining room I found this very embarrassing.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
1 Thank WestMidlandsLinda
Dear Reviewer

Please accept my apologies for the communication errors regarding the Romance Package at the hotel. As a valued guest we always aim to exceed your expectations, however we appear to have failed on this occasion.

I would really welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further and would be grateful if you could contact me on nicola.underhill@hilton.com

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Excellent hotel, good location, excellent service apart from too few staff on reception. Breakfast excellent. As was room service supper. Not disturbed by noise though the windows were hermetically sealed! Car parking quite expensive but I suppose what can you expect from Central Birmingham. I left something in the room and housekeeping were very helpful - it was found and returned to me very efficiently and quickly. Will certainly return when I need to come to Birmingham and would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Claire P
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will share with the rest of the team today. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope that you were able to take advantage of some of our great facilities while you were here such as our complimentary wifi and 24 hour pantry service.

UK
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Very pleasant surprise. Nice comfy rooms with the oddity of having an Apple computer in the room doubling as a TV (it looked nice, but a real TV would have been more practical).

Good location on Broad Street, short walk to the bars and restaurants, but far enough that there was no noise.

Breakfast very good, and unlike a lot of business hotels, good quality hot ingredients, eggs cooked to order, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PM62
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your great comments about our hotel. At Hilton Garden Inn we aim to exceed guest expectations so we are really pleased that you had an enjoyable experience.

Next time you stay with us you should treat yourself to one of our signature cocktails that we offer in Brindley Lounge, or have a tasty bite to eat in our contemporary City Café restaurant.