“Great value afternoon tea”

Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Attentive service throughout and generous servings of scones and cakes in comfortable surroundings. Food was presented on proper tiered cake stands, and staff were quite happy to bring us a second (very large) pot of tea. Having asked for veggie sandwiches on making our booking, it was refreshing that the waitress clarified that we were happy with egg and cheese when we arrived. Proper tea leaves would have given it a 5, rather than a 4, but having tried numerous other afternoon tea venues in Birmingham/Manchester, this was hard to beat for quality and value combined.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SF71
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding our afternoon tea. We are of course biased and believe that it is one of the best in the city, however it is great to have this opinion reinforced by the clientele who we are trying to impress.

Don't forget that we can also cater for a wide range of events and private functions, including weddings and family parties.

We do hope that you had a safe journey home and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace

Reviewed September 13, 2013

really good no frills hotel with access to the heart of Birmingham. Nice AV system in the room. towels were really good. recommended if you need to get your head down in the centre of town. Close to a good variety of restaurants and cool pubs.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank Jim B
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will share with the rest of the team today. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope that you were able to take advantage of some of our great facilities while you were here such as our complimentary wifi and iMacs in all the bedrooms.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here for two nights - 1st and 2nd Septemer. My decision to stay at this hotel was based on the fact that there was free wifi in the room, and a fitness centre. The ‘Hilton’ name also caused me to expect a certain standard.

In terms of location, it is ideally situated for the ICC, NIA, Sealife centre etc, and there are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from for alternatives to the standard hotel fare on offer at the HGI. However, what I would say is that, although some reviews state that the hotel is within easy walking distance from New Street station, it is a bit of a trudge if (like me) you are carrying a briefcase and suitcase. A taxi to/ from the station costs approximately £5.

On arrival at the hotel I was promptly checked in, and told that I was eligible to receive two free bottles of water – which I should help myself to from the fridge within the ‘Pantry’ area. This was the only use I made of this section of the hotel, so I can’t comment on prices/ variety etc.

My room was a standard size city hotel room. The bed was nice and big (and comfy), but the bathroom was a little on the small side. That said, the shower was nice, although I found it slightly odd that the complimentary toiletries consisted of shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, but no shower gel…

I was on a corporate Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate, so I decided to eat at the hotel. The restaurant is closed on a Sunday, and so I had to eat in the bar. There were only one or two comfy chairs in the bar area, which were taken up by another group, so I was stuck with the ‘school canteen’ style table and chairs. When the food arrived it was mediocre, and I left most of it before going up to my room, glad that I hadn’t paid for it myself.

The following morning I went downstairs to breakfast, to be confronted by what can only be called absolute chaos. There is a sign asking you to wait to be seated, at which point someone asks for your room number, and then tells you to sit where you like. This system does not help to quell the chaos… With buffet breakfast (such as this), people invariably leave their table in order to help themselves to more food. Combined with the fact that no-one appeared to be clearing tables, (all of them had dirty plates on), you had no idea which had been vacated completely, and which were waiting for their occupants to return, with more food. Also, no-one approached and asked whether I wanted tea/ coffee etc, and many of the fruit juice options (to which you could help yourself) were in need of re-filling. The ‘help yourself’ buffet area was small, and again disorganised. This resulted in me having a breakfast of bran flakes and grapefruit juice, before grabbing a banana, and retiring to my room.

The exact same situation ensued the following morning, although that evening, I decided to skip the bar, and order room service. Although the meal arrived within 20 minutes, it was bland, and lukewarm.

The second thing which caused me to book the HGI, was the mention of a Fitness Centre, which I used on the second evening. This was small, as you would expect from any inner-city hotel, but there was only one other person in there with me, and I was free to use the treadmill for as long as I liked.

Although the room was nice enough (ie. I like the free wifi, comfy bed and iMac system), this was the only thing which would make me even consider staying at the Hilton Garden Inn again, and I would book room only and eat out at one of the many alternative restaurants available close by.

In short, on my next stay in Birmingham, I would probably look to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jaybird6

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for leaving your comments follwoing your reecent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience which I am more than happy to discuss with you in more detail. Please contact me at nicola.underhill@hilton.com at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for just a Saturday night at what used to be a City Inn. Very reasonable weekend rates for such a central location, and you get a discount on the multi-storey car park round the corner. Rooms aren't huge but very well equipped and comfortable bed too. Although very close to Broad Street nightlife noise is minimal and presumably hotel is just expensive enough to not have any drunks staggering in at 4 and waking everyone up.

Room Tip: We overlooked the little square with a nightclub opposite but weren't disturbed at all, so I'...
1  Thank NorwichCarrow
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will share with the rest of the team today. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope that you were able to take advantage of some of our great facilities while you were here such as our complimentary wifi and 24 hour pantry.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and really pleased we booked.
Lovely clean & modern. Also location was excellent.
Have stayed at various hotels around the area, but now we have a new favorite, so will definitely return.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your lovely comments following your most recent stay with us. We are pleased that you liked the hotel and agree with you about our great location in the prestigious Brindleyplace area - we believe that it is one for the the best in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Nice hotel. The room was large and clean. Breakfast - huge selection with long opening hours. Food fine.
It is a short walk to city and great for eating out locally.
The only issue was that the room was cold and we couldn't change the heat setting.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for you feedback which I will share with the team. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel as we do aim to exceed guest expectations at all times. Next time you stay, if you mention the heating to the Reception Team they can advise you on the control system, or amend the temperature on the centrally controlled system.

I'm glad that you sampled our amazing breakfast as we believe that the choice offered is one of the best, with our freshly made waffles and eggs and omelettes cooked to order.

We hope that you had a safe journey home and we wil hopefully see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed for one night 8th of September was incredibly impressed with our room it was very spacious and very clean!
Brilliantly positioned next to Brindley Place and a short walk to the Mailbox
Had a lovely stay and would definately stay there again

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your recent stay with. We are really pleased that you enjoyed the hotel as we always aim to exceed our guest expectations. We hope that you were able to take advantage of our contemporary City Cafe restaurant and Brindley Lounge bar while you were here, as they offer a wide range of delicious dishes that would suit any tastes.

We hope that you had a safe journey home and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.