“Ignore the other reviews - True un-biased opinion”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #107 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Ignore the other reviews - True un-biased opinion”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We ventured to Clarion on Sat 1st of March and i have to admit i was a little worried after seeing the reviews. Talking about building sites etc is just ridiculous. Yes the hotel is going through a refurb, but it seems that people will use any excuse to give a bad review.

The hotel is a boutique style with a nice reception area - It's opposite TGI and the rooms are really homely. We used it as a base for a night out and the taxi was less that 5 minutes to Brindley place. The staff were very helpful and i'd highly recommend this place.

We didn't try the food so can't comment, but the free parking and free WiFi was an excellent bonus.

Well worth a stay if you're venturing into Birmingham - Morrisons very close and also a few chain places such as TGI, Beefeater and ASK in close proximity.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Byron W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

It's not a little hotel - huge extension at the back makes it a big hotel.

Car park is a bit of a building site and there are areas that need a tidy up and getting rid of builders materials and junk.

Room was ok. Comfortable bed and quiet night so good sleep.

Nice bathroom although the water pressure is a bit low and it takes time to run a bath.
O

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Was in Birmingham for an old friends re-union and had booked 3 twin rooms. Was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the rooms given we paid only £55 each. They look recently refurbished and spotlessly clean. The new lobby and bar area is great for having a few pre-night out drinks and the drinks prices are very reasonable (actually much cheaper than city centre bars).
We paid £10 per person for the full English breakfast, which is bit steep but they cook all the hot food to order so it tastes superb when brought fresh to your table rather than sitting on a buffet table for a while.
This is a really nice little hotel and would definatley stay again. On bit of advice to the management would be to tidy up the back car park- there was alot of litter I noticed when leaving in the morning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend the last weekend and we really had a great time. It has been refurbished and the reception look very nice. The room very warm and bed was comfy. We had dinner for no too much money and breakfast in the morning was good. The waitress was lovely with us and really hard worker as the restaurant was full and she managed by herself. I really recommended this hotel, we will be back.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend. We had a Queen room and was really impressed by the standard of room, particularly the very comfortable bed and how quiet the room is- you really can't hear any outside noise so got a very good night sleep both nights.
We had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant (the other night at an Indian just across the road). The food was very good and again excellent value- we paid £45 for 2 including a bottle of house wine.
All the staff we encountered were polite and friendly, we made a couple of requests- for dental kit and to borrow an iphone charger and these were delivered to our room within just a few minutes of asking.
All in all a very pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on first floor at the end of corridor facing towards car park- so was v. quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed here for a valentines ball in the Regency. Staff were very rude and one of them threatened and swore at my husband 2 days later after we queried money taken from our account. The man said to my husband, "why don't you come down here and I'll break your neck. I get paid £6.51 so I don't need to take this crap from you. I can get another job". This is not relevant and just shows you how much he doesn't care for his job or the hotel.

Upon check-out, the hotel didn't give us any receipts for anything put on the room. I went home and checked my account 2 days later and they took £40 from my account. When calling the (so-called) hotel, they said someone who we were speaking to put a bottle of champagne on our room. The problem is we were talking to a lot of people as there was a ball, but the hotel think it's ok for them to do that as they saw us with these people. I have stayed in many hotels, and if you want to put extras on your room, they ask your name, ask for your room number, and take a signature. Some even ask to see your room card. The hotel said they asked for a room number. I am absolutely horrified that they did this. And what is worse is that when I checked out, the lady took my key, checked the system, and said 'that's all fine'. There was clearly extras on the room which they didn't mention, but just took the money from my account 2 days later.

I have never heard anyone speak the way the man spoke to both myself and my husband over the phone. What a let down, a disgrace, and a waste of money. They actually think what they did is ok and we are wrong to question it.

There are many other hotels on a Hagley Road and near by. I would strongly suggest to stay at any other hotel but this one. You may pay a little more money (only pounds), but they are not cowboys but known hotels. They would not let anyone else put drinks on someone else's room. The staff didn't even want to sort the problem out. They still think it is ok and the manager is ignoring our calls. If we didn't live so far away, I would've gone there personally. I'm absolutely gob-smacked with the whole situation. I will be monitoring this to see if the hotel respond.

Stay well clear of this hotel for your own sake.

2 Thank Bubbly0
y h, Front Office Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
This review is completely absurd with no truth in anything written. Initially the reviewer contacted the hotel demanding money or threatening to write a ‘damaging review’ on tripadvisor.
The guest then claimed that he had been charged for drinks that he had not purchased. It was then shown that the drinks had been ordered by his sister who was also occupying the same room. The reviewer then claimed he did not have to pay for the drinks because he had not signed for them himself. The amount involved was only £4 but the guests felt that for inconvenience he should be refunded for the entire hotel accommodation as well.
It’s rather unfortunate and sad that some guests are using online reviews as a way of trying to obtain free accommodation by threatening hotels rather than for the purpose of writing genuine and honest reviews.

The allegations about any staff member threatening him on the phone are also made-up. Any member of staff proven to have behaved in such an unprofessional manner would be dismissed immediately. All phone calls to the front desk are recorded and its clear from the recording the only threatening comments were made by the reviewer.

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

thought we would go here for Valentine's day as it looked lovely on the website. Got into the room and on every cushion and pillow there were massive stains! Also a red/pink stain on the bed sheet! Have they not heard of washing bed linen? Hand prints on the walls and the bath was also grimmey!! Receptionist was also a bit rude. Would not recommend staying until they have sorted there hygiene issues out first!!

1 Thank darcieekate