“A work in progress”

Ranked #105 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester
“A work in progress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

On arriving at the hotel, discovered that the lights in the room were not working. The manager came up and replaced 3 bulbs - he was quite surly and incommunicative. Apart from this the room was good -quiet with a comfortable bed, good shower, Freeview on the telly etc. - even biscuits!
As mentioned by others the hotel is undergoing renovations - they have obviously not thought these through - stairs up to the front entrance? - more stairs to get to bedrooms. Everyone these days uses luggage with wheels - never mind wheelchair users - they need to address this urgently. The receptionists and staff at breakfast were friendly though and there is an excellent bus service into the city centre (buses about every 2 minutes)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AlmondCroissant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I booked this hotel via late rooms, it looked nice on the pictures, was local to the city and seemed to tick most of the boxes. Panic set in as I arrived and saw the homemade hotel sign, the litter, empty drinking glass and signs of building work going on outside. The car park was no better, piles of old baths, litter, debris and mess everywhere. The real issues however started inside the hotel. They are clearly doing lots of work to this place although there was no mention of this anywhere when I booked only a few days before. The reception was being tiled and the whole place smelt of very strong glue, it was overwhelming, I don't know how the poor receptionist managed to work in it. It was quite a walk to our room through some quite run down parts of the hotel, we got lost at first. When we did get to our room on first inspection it seemed OK but as soon as we closed the door we noticed what looked like a big lump of jelly wiped on the back of it, I think it was vaseline or some kind of cream. There were also dribbles down the door, down some of the walls, at the back of the bathroom door and someone had wiped snot down the wall next to the bed. There were white stains on the bed throw and the double glazed window had obvious issues with one of the units making it foggy. This was not really a bad thing in the end as the window overlooked a shabby roof and a littered area, really not nice. The lights didn't work when we walked in so we had to search around in the dark as the curtains were closed. We found out as well that the safe didn't work and there were no spoons to stir the cheap nasty coffee they provide. The following morning I told the receptionist about all of the issues. When we got back in the afternoon I was happy to see the lights worked and the safe and indeed we now had spoons however, there was still the jelly on the back of the door, snot on the wall and dribbles. When I checked out the receptionist asked if the issues had been sorted, I told her that things had been mended however, the room was still not clean and the problem areas had not been touched despite our room being serviced after the complaint. She said 'I think it's just meant to be like that'. I had to stop myself from laughing, how hard is it to get a cloth and some spray and wipe down the walls and doors?! On the plus side this hotel is very hand for Birmingham city centre if you want to be near but don't want the noise and need free parking, the bus stop is just outside the hotel. Our room was spacious, warm and quiet. The staff were friendly and polite. Everything else about the place is quite poor. They really need to make sure everything is cleaned properly and pay attention to the details. It's obvious they are doing the place up but even the modern parts such as our room feel cheap and neglected still. There were holes in the bedding, stains on the grout in the bathroom yet the bathrooms apparently are fairly new, the doors are cheap and splintered in parts and you can smell smoke in the hallway like they allow people to smoke in some of the rooms which is a big no no for me. I paid £120 for 2 nights which apparently was a special deal, it's usually much more. I would have been very upset had I spent any more and I'm sure alot of peoplea arrive and think 'what have i done?'.

1 Thank henrydognottingham

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Menheniot, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, i must admit, i was totally shocked to see a true building site (i have own construction companies in the past). I'm not sure how you're able to obtain insurance while the work is going on. You need to close while work is commencing, then reopen to members of the public.

The images are not a true reflection of the building in its current form. They seem to be of what the hotel "will look like" in the near future. Many people go on the photos and i would say yours are currently very misleading.

A £100 deposit needs to be paid upon arrive for the room which is debited from your account regardless of what they inform you. Always pay via debit/credit card. Any funny business or issues, you can request a charge back which the bank have to do. Therefore this is pointless. If you have damage to a room, report it to the Police and make a formal complaint.

Never have i had to leave a deposit like this. To me it seems you have money issues. A £100 deposit from 50 people per night is a £5000 free loan per day, not to mention it takes you 3 days to process the refund. I believe you have about 150 rooms, and as told by staff you are fully booked most nights. That's a lot of money.

The Room
The rooms are OK but need a little TLC, i.e. make sure things fit properly (taps are loose, light fixings are loose mirrors are not square etc). The bathroom needs a good clean with some bleach. Try and remove all the mould around the outside of the bath where the tiles join. Its not difficult to do. Ensure you have hot water, not mild.

The main bedroom/living area
The carpet was not clean with sweets under the bed. Everything else was fine. The TV however was very good with plenty of channels which was not expected. Tea, coffee etc are also provided in the room which also had a good selection of everything. Bath robes were included, which is excellent. You also have an Iron and fixed safe in the room, again, very good. Nice little cold fridge is provided for your own use. Why not charge for these and decrease the rate of the rooms to save bad reviews which in the long term will lose you customers?

Overview
Its not worth paying £68 for. I would class this as a budget to average hotel due to the dirty bathroom, bedroom floor, building work present. Anyone willing to pay over £50 in the room, you have done very well.

Would i stop again? I'm afraid not although parking was free and very good. I like good value for money and im afraid you did not offer this for the type of hotel you have.

Room Tip: Not as in the photos
2 Thank WhiteHartBaz
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as we were working in the Birmingham area. Upon arrival I was shocked to see that the hotel looked like a building site. There was literally debris at the front entrance and the entire place smelt of paint. After checking in to my room I was dismayed to learn there was a huge party taking place on both nights of my stay. The music was so loud I could hear it clearly in my room and this continued until long after 2am giving me 4 hours sleep. After complain on the second night the receptionist was extremely rude and grudgingly gave us a different room without apologising once. We were made to feel like a complete inconvenience and although slightly less noisy the second party could be heard. The place was full of drunk people, unhelpful staff and was a nightmare from the moment I checked in until the moment I left. Wouldn't dream of staying here again. How it can be classed as a 4* hotel baffles me. Looks nothing like the pictures.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank patto2
Coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night as we were having a night out in the casino that is over the road from the hotel. We went to check in and reception is being renovated and not finished, wet paint everywhere, empty boxes just lying on the floor, things thrown all over the place. The room we were given had stained walls, torn and stained bed sheets, tv remote control didn't work. There was only one bath towel so we had to go to reception and ask for another, we went to open a bedside drawer and the drawer face just fell off. Went to breakfast the next morning, had continental option because the cooked breakfast looked vile, coffee was poor, overheard a lady complaining to the staff because she had slipped in reception on a wet floor and hurt herself, not surprised. Admittedly it was only a room for one night because it is convenient for the casino and we only payed about £55 for the room but I at least expect it to be clean. We stayed here last year and it was fine for a night, think it is under new management, wouldn't go back again now.

2 Thank Flashbax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't dare book again.....who checks you in....takes payment....sends you a confirmation email and deposit,and on your second night calls your room demanding more money otherwise you have to leave????? Absolutely disgraced with the way my party was spoken to by a few members of staff...this hotel is not somewhere I would ever recommend! Two of the draws broke while there and one actually fell on my leg and cut me!!! Telephone not working! iPod dock not working...so annoying having to go down constantly to communicate! The manager has no people skills what so ever! Lied about who owed the hotel and told me why I was making a big deal out of money he thinks I owed him! Talking rudely infront of other customers! We stayed for the two nights as it was a celebration we didnt want to ruin with having to move to another hotel! Thought it was really funny though how their member of staff thought it was ok to expose that they sacked a member of there staff to me?? How unprofessional! Not a 4* hotel at all.....

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Astarxx
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

When we arrived i tried to clean the bath, this is when i discovered that the pop up plug had been replaced by a normal plug and would not fit! I rang reception who did send a guy from the hotel to look at it two hours later. He could not do anything so I could not have the bath I eas looking forward to. I then had a shower which was just about warm. The floor was slippy and there was not a towel for the floor. I then tried to do my hair and make up but when you sit at the table the mirror was too high so I had to stand. There was a dirty mark on the bottom sheet. The bed chair and carpet looked nice as they were new. Reception was untidy this may be due to building work. The staff uninterested. we had stayed in the premiere inn Handforth the night before they could show the Collection Hotel how it is done! if you would like a bath before your evening out check that this simple request is possible!

• Stayed November 2013