“Hard work!”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #107 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Well got there had to move straight away as the cupboards were broken the rooms actually were quite descent for the price! As we entered the second room it was very hot fridge wernt working phone was broken it was all shambles had only one staff working in the night service was really bad as not the receptionist fault! So next morning wanted a refund but the manger at the end did rectify the problem as these things happen and the second night went quite well!

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for The Collection Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week on a business trip. Booked through hotels tonight app and they didn't have my booking upon arrival. They also didn't seem that bothered and told me to contact them direct. Upon finding out my iPhone didn't have connection to this number the American guy behind counter said that the hotel phones didn't dial out so I couldn't use theirs and he tried on his personal mobile but he got same response. Again he didn't seem to worried about this but at least he tried.
The hotel itself is in major need of renovation but it does look like they are in the middle of doing this. The room itself was very nice and looked like it had been recently renovated but was not that clean and their was a half loaf of bread in the wardrobe? (Weird)
Tried to order room service at 9.40pm to be told its finished and I'd better hurry up if I wanted a drink as bar closes at 10pm.
It was cheap at £31.00 with hotel tonight £15 discount off my first booking but at £46.00 I think a travel lodge would be nicer.
Shower made a huge racket from the pump and I thought at one point the bathroom was going to shake to bits.
No.... Don't think I'll be returning thank you all the same.
And as for the American guy on front desk...... IT'S CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE... And you go out of your bloody way for customers or else guess what...."THEY DON'T COME BACK"

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Hotel was getting work done so it was hard to say how it would be where redone.
They need to sort out the bedroom doors as every night we had to get 2/3 keys to get into the room .
The lady receptionist was fantastic nothing was to much trouble and really bent over backwards to help
All in all good location and if the doors were sorted out nice hotel for the price

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Two rooms booked for a Friday evening as we had a wedding that weekend. The hotel staff were very helpful, and went out of their way to supply us with fans as it was a very hot weekend. The room was great, clean, tidy and well presented. We would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: If you require a family room, this hotel does supply a sofa bed at an extra cost.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here on Saturday 27th July we booked over the phone. When we arrived everything was ready for us to complete check in and we were able to go straight to our room. The room was fantastic exactly as described flat screen television kettle and condiments even a hair dryer and iPod dock.
I cannot fault the hotel staff whenever we walked past reception there was always someone on reception. We went for breakfast on Sunday morning and was pleasantly surprised I'm not one for breakfast but this was fab the waitress showed us the cooked breakfast menu and took our order whilst we helped ourselves to orange juice toast etc. would definatly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 11, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel, I thought that I had made a big mistake reserving a room at this hotel.
The hotel did not look as if it was a four star hotel. Anyways I reached reception and told the american receptionist that I am checking in. After he fiddled with the computer and went through some papers, he informed me that he had no reservation in my name. I was very upset but he told me not to worry. He said that he will make another reservation within two minutes. He was very polite and forthcoming. He then explained how some times online companies forget to send the reservation details to the hotel, yet they send a confirmation of the reservation to the guest. I really enjoyed my stay. Had a relaxing stay. The best thing in this hotel is the polite staff. The receptionist I met was very helpful with any additional information I required about the city. The restaurant food was down right delicious. The only complaint I had with the hotel was the fact that the bar closed very early. There was no room service available after 12. Besides that this was my best budget stay yet.

Room Tip: If you make your reservation online, just call to confirm that the hotel received the reservation. P...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night as it was close to Edgbaston - worst mistake I made!! Problems at check in - hell yeah!! Nothing wrong with my credit card however the receptionist had to try twice to take payment. He then kindly informed us our breakfast was between 8.30 and 10am. I booked the hotel at 4am in the morning so was not sure if I had breakfast - I was told I did.
The next day did the shower work - nope! Tried to ring reception but no answer!!
Went to reception to book a taxi and said to call if for after we had our breakfast! Went to the breakfast room which was located is a stupid place. Obviously the breakfast had been sat there since 8am!!! We ate a slice of toast and had a glass of apple juice. We left straight away and as we walked past reception we were called to pay for our breakfast?!?!?!?!
It was 10 bleeding pounds each! The receptionist was bothered about what I told him he just wanted the money.
A slice of toast costs £10. Your customer service skills have a lot to answer for - I spoke to 3 members of staff and not one of you thought to tell me we did not have breakfast booked!
Quite a few people I know visit Birmingham for the cricket and we will never be staying in this hotel ever again. I guess they are never refunding my money but you have all been warned!! *****STAY AWAY*****

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RinksB
y h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest, I'm sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent stay at the Clarion Collection Birmingham. However, I will have take issue with some of your comments as they are completely unfounded and somewhat strange.
You say you had a problem at check-in because the receptionist had to try twice to take payment. I'm not quite sure I understand your point here, if your card failed on the first occasion should the receptionist then not attempt to take any payment for your booking?
The receptionist informed you the about the breakfast time for your information in case you wanted to take breakfast. It would only be included in your room rate if you added this option when you booked. I can assure you that your booking was for Room Only.
Our reception desk is manned 24 hours a day by atleast one member of staff, so I'm surprised to hear that you received no answer when calling. We have not had any other complaints about a shower not working in any of our rooms and maintenance are always on hand to fix any issues. It could be perhaps a case of yourself not being aware that there are two separate controls for operating the shower head and the bath taps.
You comment that the breakfast was located in a "silly place"- I'm not sure why you regard the hotel restaurant as a silly place to have breakfast??
As for the breakfast, we have an option of continental which is served as a buffet and a full English which includes hot breakfast made to order- it is never left lying out.
A number of visitors to the Cricket chose to stay with us due to the proximity to the Edgbaston ground and the quality of accommodation that we offer at the Hotel.
If you wish to discuss anything further please feel free to call me on 0121 4102263.