The Collection Hotel Birmingham
  • Pool
$84
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
$90
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewssized bedironing boardflat screen tvmain roadvisiting birmingham
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in mid-October. Whilst it was a lovely, comfortable room which was well-decorated and had excellent furniture and fittings, (I especially loved the shower in the bathroom), I could not help but feel that there was just a little something missing.

The first night was a Friday night and we arrived just after 9pm. The check-in was smooth and effiicient, but when we enquired about something to eat we were told that the chef would be leaveing at 9:30pm but if we hurried he would be able to "make you a fresh sandwich." In the ned, we settled for an drink in the bar, which we felt was over-pr
iced, even for a hotel... £6 for a small bottle of diet coke and a bottle of J2O. My husband was drinking diet coke as after 2 attempts by the girl behind the bar at pulling a pint of the only available beer, we decided to give up as the beer was off.

We slept extremely well that night, perhaps aided by the good quality hot chocolate provided along with the tea, coffee and kettle.

We did not have breakfast, as we decided that it was also very overpriced, (instead we ate at an excellent cafe where full breakfast with tea for 2 was the same price as one breakfast at the hotel).

After a full and exciting day out on Saturday we returned to the hotel with about 45 minutes before having to be out at the theatre. We got to our room to find that the key didn't work, so had to return to the front desk for it to be re-programmed, which infact only took seconds. The front desk ordered a taxi for us which was waiting when we needed it. We returned to the hotel at about 11pm that evening to find the bar was long closed and in darkness. We returned to our room and indulged in the replenished supply of hot chocolate before bed. Sadly, we did not sleep as well that night as the corridor outside the room was quite noisy and in need of up-rated sound suppression.

Overall, it was a good stay, but just lacking in those little extras that would lead me to giving the hotel 5/5.

Room Tip: Go for a kingsized room - they are excellent
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I've been there twice, the staff there was wonderful and friendly, the reception manager Cristina was also nice, proffesional and hlepful, thank you guys for being so kind to me, I will be back cuz your pro service, the only thing I suggest is not showing your guests with a dead rat, the day there i saw one chef running out from the kitchen to the reception to show the dead rat to scare the waitresses, and it's SCARED me as well, and it's disgusting and I was wondering if the kitched is dirty??? that's why the breakfast isn't good, the sausages and mushrooms were raw, scramble eggs with water?? is that because the chef spent too much time on finding the RATS??? Plz don't let people don't wanna come just because the CHEF.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We held many business meetings at this venue and felt that we had to move on as the venue let us down, the room was cold on many occasions and the table cloths were folded bed sheets.
be carefull when parking there as you will get a parking fine if yo happen to forget to register your registration number with a machine at reception, several of our guests received fines in the post and have stated that they will not return because of this.
the block paving outside is loose and the paint is peeling in the room, and the aircon doesn't work properly, either boiling or freezing.
Needs working on guys!

Room Tip: if you are planning a business meeting look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lee D
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts on our venue.

I would like to make the following responses to the points which you have made;
1. Parking. We have NUMEROUS signs which inform guest that they must register their vehicle on arrival. We have signs at reception, in front of meeting rooms and in the lobby. Moreover, our reception staff also informs guests that they must sign in. I can’t understand why registering their vehicles was such an inconvenience to the attendees of your meetings – it takes seconds to do.
2. Meeting rooms. When your company first contacted us, it was confirmed that you would like a meeting room, lunch and tea/coffee. However, cost was an issue on your part and it was agreed that the meeting room would be complimentary (all communicated via email). Further, whiteboard and whit screen was all complimentary as was the catering for additional attendees which were never confirm before the meetings took place!(I doubt many hotels/restaurants would accommodate this, bearing in mind all the complimentary items).
3. Overall, I believe that the service/lunch/room was a fair reflection of the price which you paid. We offered to move your meeting to one of the newly re-furbished meeting rooms but you were not prepared to pay even the discounted rate for the room upgrade. We have tried to be very flexible in trying to meet your requirement but unfortunately we are not in a position to give out meeting room for free so it was probably best for all concerned that you have found alternative venue.

I wish all the very best for the future

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Lots of parking and money spent on refurbishment. Lift smelled nasty, service very patchy, views from rooms not nice. The breakfast was not nice - cheap, but floury sausages, soggy hash browns. 15 minute walk to centre and expensive. Couldn't recommend

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank thelittleburiers
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I couldn't fault this hotel, lovely rooms, reception, and breakfast was just fine with enough choice to please everyone. It is near enought to the centre but not so near that it is super noisy.

The one and only things, that I know has been an issue for a while as I have read some review's mention it, is the awfull smell in the lift, it smells like sewage, only around the lift area, but it really needs attention

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business