“Perfect”

Ranked #105 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed here as part of a birthday weekend with my best friend and to be honest we are very low maintenance it had everything we needed. Staff were always helpful and friendly, leaving us extra biccies etc!

Beautifully decorated rooms and lovely shower. They were always kind enough to call us a taxi and answer any requests we may have had. We had complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits, a fridge, iron, bath robes, towels, shower caps, sewing kit, soaps and a hairdryer as well as ironing board/iron! Flatscreen TV was a big plus point too!

We didn't eat breakfast or dinner as we were either asleep or out, but it was also very peaceful good location and free parking was a bonus point as the hotels closer to broad street charge you for this. Taxi ride was about 7-8 pounds though, but buses go to town as well but a cab is a must after a night out. B'ham nightlife is amazing, Broad Street is preferred even though I'm from London!

I don't like to moan about tiny things but the only downside I can think of was the bathroom door didn't have a working lock (although between me and my best friend we really didn't mind) and there wasn't much going on with the restaurant service as the chef had his own schedule going on (which we didn't care for much either as we always ate out!)

Amazing stay, thank you for everything..I love Birmingham! Made my birthday perfect! :-D

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

Booked this hotel for two nights for my partners 30th Birthday as we had planned a weekend trip to Birmingham, before arriving I specifically asked for us to be allocated a room away from the building works and for a champagne bucket and flutes to be in the room as we were planning to celebrate.
Arrived on Saturday afternoon the reception staff were very friendly and greeted us - on getting to the room I was somewhat shocked to see that we were right by the building works and was upset to find no champagne flutes or bucket in the room and the bath was rather aged full of scratches and scuffs, I don't like to complain so I just dismissed this but was somewhat annoyed.
Within an hour my partner decided he was hungry and wanted to order a sandwich to the room - went to ring reception but no phone in the room, next the fire alarm went off,after leaving the room to evacuate the building the alarm stopped sounding but by this time I was quite angry so decided to go to reception and explain that we were upset by the building site, no phone in room and no bucket or glasses.
To be fair we were given a new room straight away and the hotel did bring the bucket and glasses to the room within a few minutes and 20 minutes later a bottle of wine was brought to the room with compliments of the hotel.
Just a couple more negatives: Sunday evening about 7pm we went to the hotel bar but it was closed, the hotel is very modern with lovely decor but the room doors remain old and aged, the water flow was very slow.
Apart from the above we had a lovely weekend and the rooms were decorated well and were very stylish and all the staff were very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the building site!
Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

My partner stayed at this hotel a couple of months ago and recommended this place as I was visiting Birmingham for a friend's wedding. I was really impressed by the high standard of the rooms- especially the bed which was one of the most comfortable I've slept in. The designers have done a great job in making the rooms feel cosy and warm yet also very contemporary with nice co-ordination of soft furnishings. There's some other good touches like bathrobes, iron/ironing board nicely tucked away in one of the wardrobes.
One of my big fears when staying in a hotel is the cleanliness of the bathroom but in this case it seemed almost brand new so that was also a big plus. The only negative I would point out is the toiletries- these need to be much higher quality. A hotel of this standard should have Molten Brown or similar and there should be a much wider array available.
I didn't eat dinner or breakfast in the restaurant so can't comment on that but did order some drinks on room service which were delivered in about 2 minutes- so great service there!
Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: My room was 1016 which was fab, not sure if all rooms are the same
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thanks very much for your review. My team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Clarion Collection Birmingham. I will discuss with our suppliers regarding the in-room toiletries in order to ensure that these meet the standards expcected and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Very recently refurbished in part of what was the very low rent "Norfolk Hotel" (the remainder of which is still next door, reviews of which make one's blood run cold!). The corridors are suitably spruced up with IKEA style bits of modern art, which all makes the ancient (ex-Norfolk, undoubtedly) varnished wooden institutional doors look very incongruous indeed. A corner cut which should not have been. They could at least have rubbed them down and painted.

The rooms are modern(ish), but ill thought out and suffered from the usual dim lighting that most hotels seem to believe is sufficient. 6 light switches (very inconvenient), operating various little uplighters and reading lights produced gentle glow. Fine for a restaurant, inadequate for a hotel room. Decent wall mounted flatscreen TV, with wires messily hanging underneath. Bath as well as shower, but took an age to fill so low was the water pressure. No nice toiletries, but a dispenser on the wall for soap, Premier Inn style. Non-steam iron and board in the wardrobe along with bathrobes - good touches.

The whole place is strangely lacking in any atmosphere, not helped by the fact it seemed sparsely occupied. Breakfast wasn't included, and is a choice of very half-hearted cold buffet or cooked to order. No menu – staff member simply asks what you want when you walk into the breakfast room. The cooked version was OK, but poor quality sausages, which I didn't touch. "Heart FM" style music playing far too loud. One other breakfaster in the entire room, and it felt like an Edward Hopper painting.

I booked (for the first and last time) through lastminute, who's receipt said I should get an invoice from the hotel. They said "no – it's down to lastminute", and after much to-and-fro (and a call to HMRC) I'm staggered to learn that neither are obliged to provide a VAT invoice as they operate under a special agents scheme. Consequently, I am unable to claim £30 VAT back. I can't blame the hotel for this, but the lesson is – if you're a VAT registered business, do NOT use lastminute.com.

A very odd place, to be honest. The Eaton just across the way is better, cheaper, friendlier and not part of a chain.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank trevgti
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Regarding the invoice, we spoke with Lastminute.com and they accepted that it was a mistake on their part and have now issued you with a VAT invoice for you to be able to reclaim the tax. We are only able to issue invoices ourselves where guests have made a payment direct to the hotel.
We appreciate guest feedback to enable us to continually improve the service offered, so I will take on board and address your other items raised but I would like to point out that the Clarion hotel was only opened in August this year, we have no connection with the hotel next door which is a completely seperate business.
Denby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed on a Friday night and the only problem we had, was cold coffee.
If that is the worst problem, you can see what a nice, warm, comfortable and good value hotel. The refurbishment has made a great job, this hotel is a real gem.

Top tip, the King sized beds are Super kings and are firm, but very comfortable. The Kimg rooms are in the Premier area on the ground floor, making them easy to get to.

• Stayed November 2011
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Clarion has clearly undergone a very recent renovation, but to be honest the quality is such that it could be a new build.

The hotel offers all mod-cons and the rooms are very modern and tastefully furnished. The bathrooms actually have a full-size bath as well as excellent showers, and little things like bathrobes in the rooms show attention to detail.

I originally booked into a shabby hotel across the road - through Late Rooms - called the Cavalier, which was appalling. I saw Clarion across the road, and immediately switched my reservation.

The bar and restaurant area are clean and well presented, and the menu good. Wi-Fi is available free of charge throughout the whole establishment.

• Stayed November 2011
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Many thanks for your review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your recent stay at the Clarion and you were pleased with the facilties offered. I do hope you'll chose to stay with us again next time you're visiting Birmingham.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

lets start with the good points...
-friendly staff, good location, free parking and internet, nice rooms and decent room rates, nice bar area, good breakfast.

We did experience some problems, but have still come to the conclusion that we will definitely be back due to the way our problems were handled by staff, the room rates and hotel cleanliness.
- we booked a queen room, but as the room was not made when we checked in, they upgraded us to a king room but warned us that the view isn't great due to next doors construction however we were told they don't work on Sundays (but we did see a few builders on the site and they were making a little noise).

- the hot water took about 1/2 hr to come on in the shower, and we also waited 2 hours for the water to get hot on one of the nights. We finally got a new room across from us (which was a little annoying after 2 hours of us thinking the whole hotel had a problem).

- it says they have 24 hour room service, but this is not true, and there are few staff at night so when we asked for some drinks to our room, we were told we would need to wait as the receptionist was the only person there so was not allowed to leave to go to the kitchen for us.

- Breakfast was meant to be served from 6.30 but we were sitting at our table for 30mins (15mins of which nobody bothered to turn the lights on!)

Other than these things, our stay was pleasant and staff said we would not have to pay for the food and drinks we had (around £40) and as we said we would still go back to the hotel, they gave us 20% off our next stay. To be fair, other than the hot water, nothing else was a really big issue as it is very rare for us to get up at 6.30 on a Sunday for breakfast, and as long as you don't get a room facing the construction you would be fine. We had a great nights sleep and would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: If there is still construction going on round the back, as for a room which isn't next to this a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks very much for your review. Apologies for the issues with the hot water, unfortunately we did experience some problems with the boilers on the Sunday of your stay but these were rectified first thing on the Monday day. There must have been a misunderstaing regarding the breakfast start time- breakfast is only served from 7am not 6.30am, again apologies if this was not made clear at time of check-in. I'm pleased you were satisfied with the way my staff dealt with the issues and do look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future