“A lot of hate for this hotel- don't know why”

ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 19, 2012

A lot of people are writing rubbish reviews for this hotel. Comments saying it's basic etc. It is classed as a budget hotel so what do you people expect? I would say that the minimum I expect from a budget hotel is:

A bed
A shower
A toilet
A TV
Tea making facilities
Lights

Does this hotel have them all? Yes. I think that people really need to get that into perspective.

Anyway,

I stayed at this hotel twice in the week starting 12th August for business. I was greeted warmly at reception and check in was efficient. I was directed to my room which was in a block of rooms rather than your standard hotel set up. I liked this because it was different. On entering the room I saw that it was clean and even smelt like it had recently been clean. The bathroom is a very good size and extra pillows and towels are provided in the room- which is more than can be said about a certain other budget chain beginning with Travel and ending in odge. I'll admit the TV remote is confusing- in a little stand saying its £9.99 a night for movies and internet but its all in the wording. It doesn't say that there is a cost for using the TV. Although this hotel was on a main road I slept very well and there was limited noise from outside. The bed was comfortable and clean.

Check out was just as efficient as check in and I was asked if I'd had a pleasant stay.

If I'm in the area again for business I will certainly book this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for your comments following your stay at ibis Birmingham Holloway - It is always a pleasure to know that guests do enjoy their stay at the hotel and will pass on your comments to my team.

Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I've have NEVER been to such a rough, dirty, noisy, old fashioned, smelly and horrible place. It is not a hotel and shouldn't call itself one, it has no proper facilities and is badly run. On arrival we waited for the recpionist to finish washing the dishes before we were finally acknowledge, she then asked me 3 times if I wanted a double or twin, I booked a double! The room was horrible, old papers and bag under the bed, I don't think it's ever been cleaned, the dust was thick on all ledges and shelves, the delightful lump of pubic hair in the bathroom was an added pleasure. The mattress was thin and cheap with every spring poking in to you all night, that's if you managed to get any sleep as the one leg on the bed was loose and it creaked and squeaked all night. One tea bag and 2 sugers ( we shared!), the noise all night was unbelievable and at 3 in the morning we slept in the car. The night staff didn't really care and promised us a full refund in rhe morning. The morning after having only 4 hours sleep the 'manager' denied the refund and made pathetic excuses. DO NOT STAY HERE EVER AND DO NOT BELIEVE THE STAFF! Park outside and sleep in your car, it will be a much better experience. I WILL NEVER STAY IN AN IBIS HOTEL AGAIN. Oh I forgot to mention the bathroom. It hardly existed, I've been in bigger train toilets.

• Stayed: August 2012
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus following your recent stay at the hotel.

To confirm that I have never spoken to yourself directly, so I assume that the "manager" you referred to in your review was the receptionist on duty. I would like to learn about the pathetic excuses you were given by my team so these can be investigated further.

Once again I thank you for your comments which please be assure I will share with my team.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 8 nights (so plenty of potential for issues to arise), and only have good things to say about it! The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, and were happy to help out with any requests we had in a very timely manner. We were provided with additional amenities such as tea, coffee, milk, sugar, spoons and soap due to the length of our stay, and the maids always ensured we had plenty of clean towels and various other provisions. The room itself was very comfortable, and even though we were essentially living there due to the length of our stay, it was absolutely fine. I had been worried that it might become claustrophobic after a while but that wasn't the case at all. We were at the back of the hotel on the ground floor so it was really quiet throughout the entire stay, although had we been at the front of the building facing the road, it wouldn't have been a problem because there was very little traffic anyway. The only possible negative I can think of is that our bedside light broke a few nights in. However, even this was dealt with excellently. After discovering that it would need to be fixed after we moved out (reception had responded immediately to try to change the bulb at first), we were kindly offered either a room change or a complimentary drink each. We obviously chose the latter option! Overall, very well catered for and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your comments following your stay at ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus - The team and I look forward to welcome you soon again at the hotel.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are the most basic I have ever seen. It literally is a box with 2 beds a TV and a tiny bathroom. We had a constant problem with the key cards and had to go to reception 8 times to get the card swiped so it would work . The location of the hotel is a short walk into the city centre but it is right next to a busy main road and a student accommodation and the noise is very loud during the night. the only positive I can think of is the secure parking. I would not stay here again as there are far better options for the same or cheaper price.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very dissapointed to read that your recent stay at ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus has not been up to the desired standards.

We have taken note of your various comments and remarks which will be addressed as applicable.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed at this place once before and it was okay. This time I had problems with the sockets in the room. Trying to do some work on my laptop and it wouldn't work. Eventually got it started and then the charger just stopped working. Plugged in the kettle to make a drink and the electrics in the room blew completely. Had to wait ages for them to fix it, although to be fair I was offered a free drink from downstairs. Of course couldn't finish my work on the laptop as the battery ran out. It turns out that only the charger has blown for good, but I am not pleased. It will cost at least as much as the room for a new charger!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your comments in TripAdvisor following your recent stay at ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus.

We treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matter.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012