“Excellent ambiance, great food and relaxed setting.”

Soul Food Project at The Victoria
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Soul Food Project is a first for Birmingham, dedicated to the sights and sounds from America’s deep south. Soul Food's 'Deep South Diner' at The Victoria is where you'll find the team cooking up the meanest burgers this side of Birmingham, hearty gumbos (a melting pot of meats, peppers and spices), jambalayas, homemade pies, cajun sandwiches, red beans 'n' pork and a twist on the classic British Sunday roast.Voted in 2012 by ShortList Magazine (and it's readers) in the top ten gastropubs in the UK, the only Midlands venue to be included.
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Excellent ambiance, great food and relaxed setting.”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

On a trip into Birmingham with my son to visit the German Christmas Market, we had been there only a few minutes when it was all closed down due to high winds and rain... so we made our way just down the road to The Victoria which I think is billed as a Theatre Pub and Deep South Diner.

We entered and found a lovely relaxed atmosphere, subdued lighting and decent background music, not so loud you couldn't talk but not so quiet that you couldn't hear it. there were just a few folks seated in the lounge. We found ourselves a corner and got drinks from the Bar, two pints of 'Butty Bach' absolutely excellent ale. The staff were very friendly and the menu looked excellent but they also had a special offer on for lunch (2pm - 5pm) with a choice of three dishes for just £5 or £6 with home made chips... we both had the Southern Fried Wrap with chips. A couple more beers ordered from the Bar and our food was delivered, succulent tasty chicken in a wrap with a small salad, coleslaw and a handfull of chips. Just right for a nice lunch. We stayed on for a couple of hours and a couple more pints before making our way to New Street Station just a few hundred yards away for the train home. The Victoria is truly a nice place to be in a wet and windy city. First Class

1 Thank Ian E
Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Hi Ian, thanks for leaving us such lovely feedback. We're glad we could offer such a pleasurable experience - particularly on what was such a miserable day weather wise. The Soul Food Project Southern Fried Chicken Wraps are customer (and staff), favourites so we're very pleased to hear you enjoyed them too. We hope next time you're in Birmingham you come and visit us again for a pint - we've also got some nice craft bottled beers which might interest you too, just ask a member of staff!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fantastic experience at the Vic”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We enjoyed the pleasure of the Vic this afternoon being warmly welcomed and looked after by all the staff. Our cocktails were to die for and we had a fabulous Sunday roast. We will definitely be back with more of our mates next time. We are hard pressed to understand the contrasting experience of a few other punters. We have frequented this pub for 5 years and have never once had a bad experience in all this time.

1 Thank Candee P
Hi Candee, it's always great to hear from a regular. Thank you for your continued support and we're so pleased to hear you've had many enjoyable experiences - we hope you have many more!
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub and food, terrible service”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I visited this pub with a group of friends I haven't seen for a long time. It had been recommended and seemed really nice when we walked in. The service was dreadful though. We waited around 20 mins for drinks. The barman put one of our food orders through and although he said he'd do them all at the same time, walked off and another person started serving us so the rest of our food orders went through 20mins later. Food took ages to arrive, one of us ate and finished before the rest of the meals had arrived and our drinks finished. Such a shame as was looking to have a nice catch up lunch all together. For atmosphere it's a nice place but if you want food and cocktails service is really slow and not customer friendly.

• Visited December 2013
Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hi Jo, thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment and let us know about the problems you had. Service is really important to us and we're sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We will address this with the bar staff and kitchen team, and we will be focusing heavily on customer service in our training sessions. Please accept our apologies for the problems and hopefully you'll see a difference when you return.
Birmingham
“Sliding Away”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I've been going to The Victoria for a few years now for both food and drink (and the quiz night, which is brilliant week in, week out). Sadly it seems the quality, along with that of most venues with the same owners is slipping. Used to be really well cooked, basic soul food. It is still okay but on my most recent visit the burger I had tasted really plain and the pulled pork topping it had foregone any interesting flavours in favour of bland burning spice. Used to be one of my favourite things to eat in Birmingham. The key lime pie was really thin and contained too much zest, lacking a nice creamy texture.

That said the Victorian lemonade remains a nice cocktail, even if each staff member seems to make it completely differently. Some leaving the absinthe in, some pouring it away completely (in spite of my protestations) and some serving it in a shot glass on the side. Personally I prefer it mixed in but when I asked the one barmaid to do this she insisted it had to be poured away because "that was the way she had been shown" which seemed silly as it was just going to waste anyway. Thats a general symptom of the service at most times, there are a few staff who seem to really care but most seem happy to do things by the book and stand around chatting.

It's a shame because they have the building blocks of a great venue, just seems rather haphazard nowadays.

Oh and bring back the peanut butter, oreo cheesecake. It was heavenly and the new desserts are awful in comparison.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Parkjosephh
Hi Joseph, thanks for taking the time to leave comments and let us know some of the issues you had on your visit to us. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the food and we've passed on your comments: they'll be amending the dessert offerings when the new menu comes out next year (we loved the Oreo Cheesecake too) and we'll be checking over the pulled pork. As a matter of interest, did you bring the food back at the time so the kitchen could rectify it?

In regards to the drink there is a set specification for a Victorian Lemonade which is to wash the glass with absinthe and then discard it, but like you say it's going to waste and if the customer wants to keep it then that's fine. We're not sure why the member of staff didn't do this for you, but thanks for bringing it to our attention as it means we can do some more focused training around the issue.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“What happened to this place?”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I used to love this place and went here quite regularly (both for talks upstairs and generally). I really liked the chicken burger and sweet potato fries I had there a while ago. Unfortunately on this occasion one of the staff members was so rude to me when serving my drinks that it made me so upset that I ended up crying, paying for my drinks and then leaving. My work was supposed to have a meal/social there two days later but based on my experience and the other comments on here we took our business elsewhere. It's a shame that a visually appealing place that offers good food has to be let down in this way.

• Visited September 2013
Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience on the occasion you visited us. We would very much like to act on your feedback and would ask if you kindly wouldn't mind messaging myself or the venue directly via email on info@thevictoriabirmingham.co.uk with a description of the member of staff and day/time you visited so we can deal with the issue you have raised. Again I am very sorry for your experience and disappointed that we let you down on this occasion.