“Burnt Halloumi”

Soul Food Project at The Victoria
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Soul Food Project is a first for Birmingham, dedicated to the sights and sounds from America’s deep south. Soul Food's 'Deep South Diner' at The Victoria is where you'll find the team cooking up the meanest burgers this side of Birmingham, hearty gumbos (a melting pot of meats, peppers and spices), jambalayas, homemade pies, cajun sandwiches, red beans 'n' pork and a twist on the classic British Sunday roast.Voted in 2012 by ShortList Magazine (and it's readers) in the top ten gastropubs in the UK, the only Midlands venue to be included.
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I visited on a lunch break as I was working nearby and service was terribly slow which isn't ideal when you only have one hour to eat and get back. Waited ages at the bar to get served as the staff member was on her mobile. We ordered the Halloumi and houmous wrap for £5 and extra chips for £1. How you can go wrong with a plain wrap, houmous, salad leaves and Halloumi I don't know. However, the Halloumi was burnt not chargrilled. Chips were lovely. The decor was lovely and loved the 80s music. I drink at The Victoria but I wouldn't be quick to order food here again even though the dinner menu sounds amazing.

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we're sorry to hear you had problems with the food. The Halloumi is listed on the main menu as Blacked Halloumi as it is coated in spices before being seared in the pan, which gives it a blackened look which could be mistaken for burnt. We will make sure that this is made more clear in the lunch menu. We will also look into the speed of the service.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Victoria used to be one of my favourite pubs in Birmingham and frequented it almost every weekend, the bar staff used to be fun, friendly and were very effecient however this seems to have changed in the last year - for example waited at the bar to order a drink on a quiet Sunday, only myself and another customer who was being served, I got completely ignored by the guy behind the bar who went to the top of the bar to speak to his friends, a member of staff who wasn't on shift stood at the bar next to me to then be served by said staff member - I let this go, however the staff member when passing the coca cola to his friend smashed the glass on the bar by mistake causing shards of glass to go all over my coat and sticky coke syrup all over my arm. Neither one apologised! I'm really sad it's just not like how it was three years ago attentive staff members, buzzing atmosphere and great food. I will
Keep coming back just hoping it will be just as good as it once was!

On a positive note, I love what you have done with the place the interior is beautiful, cosy and still feels like a proper Victorian boozer with a twist!

1  Thank H-Bette
Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we take pride in all aspects of our bar and are disappointed to hear your experience was sullied by the slow inattentive and rude service. If you could email or message me on here with more details about the member of staff we can look into this further, but regardless will be re-addressing the matter with customer service training for all staff.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Found this surreal bar/restaurant by googling "best roasts of Birmingham". Particularly stunning architecture as we pulled up, surrounded by the dull concrete new builds, which makes this place look odd in its surroundings. We went in and felt we'd gone through the looking glass whereupon Alice's Wonderland had been subjected to a merge with Moulin Rouge. Cheerful staff, especially the ever so helpful and friendly Steph' who took our initial booking. We had the roast which was Sticky Cider and salted caramel Pork with all the trimmings. So huge that we had to share the decadent, warm brownies! Amazing ambience amplified by laughter a plenty and a good playlist of chilled music. We will return!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Visited here with a friend for dinner on a Monday night. The pub is quirky and relaxed, not at all pretentious. It took a while to get served at the bar as the barmaid was on the other side chatting away to someone else and didn't seem to be paying much attention to other customers that might be waiting. The menu is pretty good - it's not fancy healthy food, it's hearty pub food. We had the nachos, veggie burger and chicken nanin. Food came pretty quickly, the portion sizes were good and it's was very tasty. It also has a decent cocktail menu with lots of choice. Overall we enjoyed it here, but perhaps the service could be a bit tighter and friendlier.

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment and bringing this to our attention. We take pride in all aspects of our bar and are disappointed to hear their experience was sullied by the slow, inattentive service - although we're glad to hear you liked the food. We will readdress the problems you highlighted with some customer service training and hopefully you'll see a difference next time you're in.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Very welcoming cocktail bar, nice laid back indie feel which is suitable for this smart or casual. I haven't eaten here but I can say it's great place to meet friends for a few nice cocktails. They make everything with passion which can cause a big queue though at busy times. Would recommend to anyone looking for some nice pre-theatre / pre-dinner drinks.
One thing that NEEDS TO BE FIXED.... Carpets are disgusting and sticky - please please please spend a few grand on getting this re-done! Thanks :)

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We have recently replaced the carpet in the back bar and the tiles in the main bar areas so this should no longer be a problem. Hopefully when you come back you'll see the difference!