“Worst hotel ever”

Ranked #114 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for me and my daughter to visit friends and as soon as I booked in I knew I wanted to walk back out. Luckily my daughter didn't end up coming along or I wouldn't have stayed, I walked up the stairs and carpet filfy walls Filfy and my room didn't even have a number on it I had to work it out. When I walked in i wanted to get straight out of there the bed looked like it had sick at the side of it so I reported it on my way out and was told it would get sorted but when I got back in it wasn't touched. The shower was awful couldn't move in it anyway I've put it down to experience and never again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were visiting Birmingham as a family for a two-night stay and needed somewhere relatively cheap as there are 5 of us. The outside of the hotel looked fine and reception was clean and bright. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor, and the closer we got, the worse the hotel got. In the corridors the walls were dirty and had paper peeling off, and the smell wasn't great. The rooms were very basic and had a mishmash of furniture which had all seen better days. Again the walls were stained and in desperate need of some paint! The bathrooms were very small but they were clean (fortunately, or I would not have stayed on the second night!). The beds were clean and comfortable enough, and there were clean tea-making facilities. On the whole the place was just very grubby and there was some evidence that some parts are currently being refurbished. Fortunately we had not opted to have breakfast in the hotel, and there was a bar but it was not open or even looked ready to be opened. We had been looking forward to our weekend away for a long time and I was extemely disappointed. The description on the website is totally false, and I wish we had checked on Tripadvisor before we booked!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen D

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Paignton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Obviously having a refit. Unable to eat at the hotel and so had to go next door. This caused a major issue when it came to my entitlement to breakfast the next day.
They didn't know how to deal with a booking through Late Rooms via a business account.
Car park way too small. Found it very hard to find a space.
Not sure if I would return although at £27 the price is hard to complain about.

Room Tip: Don'y until the refit is finished
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed in a family room for one night, the staff on the desk were not very pleasent or helpful I must admit. There was building work going on in the reception. I didn't have very high hopes for our room, but once we got to the 4th floor (lift on takes you to 3rd floor and you must take the stairs to the 4th) we entered our room and were all pleasantly surprised. The room we stayed in was immaculate, brand new decoration. The furniture was brand new, all matching. The bathroom had also been done up, the shower wasn't the best but it was clean and the bathroom had a nice design. The family room had one room with a double bed and the other room had a single bed and a set of bunk beds (double on bottom single on top). There was plenty of tea/coffee making facilities available. We could not fault the room at all. Obviously if we stayed in a room that had not been done up it might be a completely different story, but they are trying to renovate the place, give them a chance :P

Room Tip: 4th floor are all renovated
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KentStv
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Thank you for submitting such a kind and honest review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you again in the future. We have recently refurbished and we are very happy that our guests are now reaping the rewards. All the best, and we hopefully will see each other in the near future
Birmingham UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Arrived to find this hotel should have been closed by health and safety , why is Birmingham City Council allowing it to trade. Description is totally false. This dive is a complete disgrace and I am a loss to why this is has not been closed . The fire alarms are unusable, there is no breakfast available and the ripped carpets and torn wallpaper leave you to realise that the council seems to ignore the situation.Frankly the tourist board should go and stay a night they would find it should be closed immediately

Room Tip: DO not stay at this tip
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rdwooty
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

On arrival I should have left at that moment .... dust sheets, bare plaster walls, wires hanging from the ceiling then as I got out of the lift ... I was met by bare plaster walls, scruffy fire doors and ALL SMOKE ALARMS COVERED IN RED PLASTIC OR IN MY ROOM COVERED IN FOIL !!!!! thank god I got out alive ...... A dirty towel. 1 curtain not a pair, the door under the sink hanging off, the drawers had no handles and some drawers were screwed on A huge OMG!!!!!! And everything john and Lorraine say is absolutely true they have got down and outs and homeless sleeping there and yes you can get high on the smell of maruana I shall never stay there again and DO NOT RECOMMEND IT ..... it should be shut down.

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms in this hotel .......
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sarah h
Gloucestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The reception respectable enough, there are renovations under way, and yes - the drab and dirty hall corridors look as if they are being renovated. OH MY GOD nothing prepares you for the delights of the room you are about to occupy. - After a major inspection of the bedroom I found, Poo on one side of the nasty cheap mattress, two castors missing off bed base, thick dirt/dust across covered headboard, Every piece of wall paper in the room was coming off, Broken Drawers, ripped chairs, stained carpets, thick engrained dirt/dust in corners, filthy paintwork, mould shower curtain, poo on toilet, nasty dirty/mouldy shower overflow, a hole in the ceiling over the bed, one curtain and dingy nets. Mouldy bed linen and sweat stained pillows. The smell of cannabis was overwhelming particularly late at night/early morning. Oh I nearly forgot, I found something that looked like vomit/chicken curry spilt at the side of the dressing table just before I left.

We were sent next door to the clarion hotel for our meals................interesting, This was a really nice place with great food/excellent service - it kept me sane for three days.

I would say that the hotel is used as a temporary accommodation unit, the staff appear used to the complaints/and attempt to address the issues with the lack lustre enthusiasm you may expect from such a run down establishment,

My message is to the owners if they every bother to read these reviews, Never mind refurbishment, you need to t sort out the standard of your housekeeping/your rooms are filthy and possibly a health hazard. Cleaning materials cost very little, most people will accept that hotels can be a little weary/worn, But the basics of clean bed/sheets/room cost very little. I feel very sorry for the poor people who are obviously having to live there .......

Room Tip: The Clarion suite next door was very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business