“3star hotel in good location”
Review of Norfolk Hotel

Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #112 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I booked this hotel due to its good location and price. The hotel did not let me down. It was clean and friendly. There was some refurbishment going on, but that didn't effect me in any way. I would definitely stay here again when I'm next in birmingham, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a 3 star hotel

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank steve p

Reviewed April 9, 2013

So after booking on the internet and checking the photo's online we had no clue what was in store for us. We checked in and the reception seemed ok then...............you walk through the doors!! Resembling a very run down old people's home with a distinct smell of mould and whatever else, the carpet was lifting up in most places, the walls were damp and wallpaper hanging off the ceiling...gross. We got into the room and I nearly cried, there was no other option than to check out, get a refund and book into the hotel next door. There really was no comparison. I really do not understand how this hotel is still in business.

It's cheap for a reason!!!!!!!! DO NOT BOOK

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel is downmarket to say the least and I think is full of DSS families. The people hanging around the door are a bit off putting. The desk staff were very helpful even it is not the Ritz. My room was a bit shabby and the curtain didn't cover the window properly. The room was clean and so was the bathroom but they could hoover under the bed occasionally.The bed was comfortable and the room was warm. Noisy group came back at around 1am and sounded like they were having a party in the hall. This only lasted half an hour though and I was just getting to sleep when I was kept awake by the lady next door ooing and ahhhing for the next half hour. Got to sleep after this. I must say though that I only paid £24 for my room and I suppose it is worth that.However next time I am in Birmingham I will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I can only endorse all the previous comments because it is the dirtiest, scruffiest hotel I have ever been in. Reception gives a false impression of the rest of the hotel. The stained carpet and walls, with paper peeling off the wall and work going on in the filthy corridors did nothing to want you to stay. It should carry a health warning on booking.com site.

Room Tip: What good room, all were disgusting.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ann S
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked this Hotel in hurry for My Wife, Three Year Old Child and Myself afterwards I came onto Trip advisor and seeing the photo's of the Dead Rats, Mould and comments of Working Girls I realised that I couldn't in good faith bring my Daughter here and expose her to these environmental and physical risks. I contacted the Hotel a few hours after the booking was made and told them I could not allow my daughter to stay there and they told me that I would still be charged under the terms of the contract.

I understand why they took this view however feel they missed the chance that even if there hotel is as bad as it would appear they could at least have garnered some good opinion by having fair customer service policies, I would not advise staying here as I feel it highly unlikely this hotel will still be in business for long

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here on 15/03/2013 for one night as I had a function to go to near by, I thought for £25 it would be basic but ok. I was so wrong.
Straight away as I got out the car the place stunk of weed, we went into reception to be greeted by what I can only describe as people that were being given ‘emergency accommodation’ as a previous review stated this hotel provides. These characters were scary to say the least.
The guy on reception took payment before we were allowed to see the room, he informed us it was a non smoking room (later we found the room stinking of smoke so we informed him that it was not us, to his credit he offered to send someone up to sort the issue but we were not concerned enough so declined). We were instructed that our room was to the left on the second floor, the reception seemed clean but as soon as you get in the lift you had a taste of what was to come. They haven’t even surface cleaned, the little things such a vacuuming have not been done.
The walls in the corridors are just plaster with stains up them, the doors are MDF with key card locks added at a later date.
The room itself was just vile, the carpets hadn’t been vacuumed, the lights did not work apart from the one above the mirror. The toilet still had stains from the last person to use it, the TV was hanging sideways on it’s bracket and wouldn’t stand properly. The bed sheets had stains in, the towels had been washed in bleach, the shower was black with filth, the metal window frames were filthy, looking out of the window was a rooftop full of fag ends and rubbish, there was damp and mould. Our friends were staying a few rooms down, their room was the same apart from they were lucky enough to have a flickering bathroom light, oh the bathrooms didn’t lock either.
Yes we should have stayed somewhere else but we had an hour to get ready for said function so really didn’t have time to do anything else.
We left the next day and did not bother to speak to reception, we had heard that there were some refurbed rooms, unfortunately we then found out we were in one of these rooms!

As you can see all the reviews bar 4 are not good for this hotel, it’s for a reason! Don’t think that you will be lucky enough to get a nice room, the management clearly don’t know what they are doing running a hotel and they obviously don’t know about this website either to address the issues.

Don’t stay here, find somewhere else!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanMarcBirmingham
Reviewed March 13, 2013

OK - I have stayed at some 'interesting' places ..... pre Tripadvisor ......
and this hotel was up there with the interesting ...

I actually booked at another hotel through Last Minute, but when I got there, I was sent up to this hotel. I am on a tight budget, but I wouldn't have booked here after reading the other reviews !!

Apparently it used to be a Comfort Inn .... well, it is undergoing a refurbishment, so it is a bit like sleeping in a building site..... and yes, the hotel obviously lets rooms out to emergency housing and others ..... it's economics .... everyone needs repeat business !!!!

But look, it was OK. The wifi only works in the reception area, and there are bare (patched) gyprock walls in the room, and building materials in the hallways - but - hey, the bed was clean, there was TV, kettle etc, and the small bathroom was clean - basic - but clean....

It was OK ..... If you ignored the fact that a couple of people had carved their names in the bathroom door and the walls were varying stages of patched gyprock. 'Guests' in other rooms were having loud, interesting discussions, and maybe, for some, English wasn't their first language so they hadn't quite grasped the 'no smoking' instruction !!

But hey, I take a heater with me in case I am cold ... and I didn't need to use it here ..... the heating worked and it was snowing outside ! I was warm, it was clean, and my door locked.

It was cheap ...... interesting and cheap !!! .....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo