“A Terrible experience!!!”
Review of Norfolk Hotel

Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #112 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I went to this hotel with my wife and our 4 year old daughter. We were supposed to stay 2 nights and stayed less than 30minutes before demanding a full refund, and found an alternative hotel.

This place is a joke! It looked very nice when we booked in. Clean, neat in the lobby area. We got into the lift and went to the first floor. The lift doors opened and I was shocked with what confronted me, pure filth. These corridors hadn’t seen a cleaner in years. There were electric wires hanging down, paper peeling from the walls and a strange damp musty smell. Some areas the carpet had worn through to the concrete and other areas had no carpet at all. When we got to our room and opened the door we were knocked over by the smell of stale cigarette smoke, sweat and alcohol. The inside of the room was dirty. One curtain was hanging from a string, the TV didn’t work and the beds we ripped.
When I closed the door I was faced with racist graffiti scratched into the wood dated 2009. I then noticed more graffiti on the wall and the smoke alarm was covered with a plastic bag. The whole room was covered in a film of dirt. This was no place for a family. We went down to reception to complain and this time we took the stairs, which were full of litter and had no carpet on them. We were stopped by another resident who had a saucepan in their hand advising us she was trying to catch a mouse. As you can imagine we got a full refund and left in disgust.

Room Tip: Avoid the whole place.
4  Thank BMD482

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Myself, my husband and our 3 children had to make a late booking due to an appointment I had in Birmingham. The price seemed reasonable and the hotel was advertised as 3 star, so to me this would indicate a reasonably good hotel, not luxurious, but basic. When we arrived my first eyesore were the overfull bins in the corner of their tiny carpark surrounding the hotel grounds. I just assumed 'bin day' must have been approaching. Anyway, the foyer didn't look too bad, but on further inspection I could see through to the dining area, which looked as though it was being refurbished, so I told myself as we began our walk up the stairs (as the lift was broke) that this was the reason for the mucky carpets. To our dismay, the carpets were still bad on floor 2, and cigarette smoke wafted through the air. The walls were dirty and the place seemed very depressing and dingy. Getting to our family room was much worse and I wanted to leave. All sorts of crap up the wall, the beds looked as though they'd been taken from somebodies garden skip, and there were about 20 different switches all over the walls, with lights not working, and just a general feeling of dirt and neglect. I looked out of the window to see a flat roof top and nothing more, but the roof was littered in piles of cigarette stubs and old bottles of hotel shower gel. My husband complained, and the man on reception was nice about it and asked if we wanted to see a different room, so we did, but it was just as bad and stunk. Wardrobe doors missing, bathroom doors bashed in, crap all up the walls and on the ceiling. We were planning to go out for an evening meal, but the very thought of returning to this place genuinely depressed me. We left, and got a full refund and thankfully managed to book a family room at the local premier inn, which was a dream by comparison. I am genuinely flummoxed as to why an environmental body haven't intervened yet; perhaps there is an agenda in keeping it open for the homeless, but even the streets are better! When I finally exited, I felt so glad to be out of there. Anybody who has reviewed their experience positively just leaves me scratching my head.....are you serious?! How this hotel has been classed as a 3 star I'll never know. The premier inn was cheaper too.

Room Tip: If you're unsure, find a premier inn -basic, clean and professional and good value for your mone...
5  Thank melanie s
Reviewed August 17, 2012

It looked nice from the outside and parked the car by the bins as there was not alot of parking.We went in and was greated by a nice man he told us to put the reg number of the car in as it might get clamped if we didnt. He told us how to get to our room and said the lift was broken and had to take the stairs. As soon as we got passed the main area omg what a mess the carpets didnt fit the stairs there was big holes in the middle of them the windows were boarded up there was dirt on the walls, nosiey doors and looked liked a builders yard.We booked a faimly room and had two beds in one and had an ajoining door to the other one which had a triple bunk. We wanted to charge our phones but the only sockett that worked was the kettle one in the main room. There was stains up the walls like someone had thown tea up it. The sheets we dirty and so where the pillow cases. The windows didnt lock which was a bit bad as we had a flat roof outside the windows and anyone could of got in.When we went down for breakfast at about 830 everything that was left was dried up and didnt look nice the plates were dirty and so was the knifes and forks we had some cereals which looked the best and safest thing to eat we packed our bag and left asap. I have stayed in lots of hotels but i would NEVER EVER STAY IN THIS ONE AGAIN

2  Thank claire c
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at the hotel appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issues you have raised.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Booked 2 nights at £62 on lastminuite.com. parked, went to the room and was horrified. Paint peeling, room stank of urine and the wall looked like it had tea or something all over a 10ft sq patch?

only good thing was i got a full refund, which STILL hasn't gone back on my card!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2012

If you enjoy sleeping on stained sheets in a broken bed then this is the hotel for you .
The lift was broken so walked up to our floor . The carpets up to the rooms are dirty and worn and windows are boarded up , there was dirt on the door handles in the corridor . When we got to our room the sheets were stained , and there were stray hairs in the bed . The bed was broken , a drawer was missing and the bathroom is like something you would expect in a backpackers hostel Asia.

Would never ever return here .

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I booked this hotel for a birthday weekend away to Birmingham for two couples after a family member had seen it advertised and was impressed by the price. I was told this was a good area to stay by friends. It wasnt til after I had booked through "Bookings.Com" that I realised you could see reviews. OMG!!! I felt sick reading them and wanted to cancel and lose my money (I had even paid for 4 breakfasts). I was reassured by family and friends that it wouldnt be that bad and to go. I telephoned the hotel and told them of my concerns and was told I had no need to worry as I would have a nice room. From now on I make my own decisions lol. We arrived and walked past a group of 4 who were smoking to the side of the entrance... only they were not smoking shop bought cigarettes. We walked into the foyer to see a couple on the settee being more than friendly! First impressions were not looking good. The foyer is the cleanest part of the hotel. As soon as they tell you what room you are in it gets worse! There was still no lift working so we walked through corridors and up the stairs and the further you walked the different fusty,damp and smoke smells you smelt. It was more like a hostel than a hotel!!! Then we entered our room... omg the smell!!!! curtains were hanging off.smashed wood around pipes, drawers hanging off,bed sloped and sheets made it look like bed had already been used,cobwebs and mold on walls, ceiling and coving,new bathroom but the ceiling was covered in mold. It was all thoroughly disgusting. We were unable to change our room. We got a taxi into the city and I did not want to come back. We even left our bags in the car as did not want our belongings to smell. We came back late after several drinks and the hotel was no better through beer goggles!!! I was not expecting a 5 star hotel but I expected it to be clean. The next morning we went down for breakfast which is served in the foyer. It looked absolutely revolting and did not smell much better. We checked out and drove to Wetherspoons on Broad Street for breakfast. If this is the type of hotel bookings.com advertise I will most definitely not book through them again. This has to be the worst experience of my life. I can not understand why this "hotel" has not been closed down yet by environmental health. I've been completely honest with you all so if you are considering booking to stay here PLEASE RE consider.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DERBYNOTTS
Norfolkinnhotel, Manager at Norfolk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have never in my life seen anywhere so bad our whole room was dirty the place should be closed down I'm not that fussy and didn't expect 5 star but I did expect a clean room not one that had hair all over the floor a dirty microwave mouldy curtains stains on the bedding windows that didn't shut a phone that didn't work very smelly room missing draws and handles lights that didn't work holes in the Walls bed bugs can't name one good thing Just don't stay there x

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family