Edgbaston Palace Hotel
$89
$100
$90
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The only real complaint I have is that having made a late booking through Booking,com, whose site required me to pay up front, my wife was asked to pay on arrival. They insisted on the same credit card as was used when booking, (which they insisted hadn't been a payment but to reserve the room, despite the wording on Booking.com's website). This caused a big problem as I had dropped my wife off to check in whilst I continued on to a meeting I was in that area of Birmingham for. So in response to a panic phone call from her I had to leave the meeting and dash back with my card. Why they couldn't accept her card or wait a couple of hours for my return is beyond me, but as other reviewers have pointed out "they have Rules"! A laminated list of them is passed to you to read upon checking in and another is posted in the room!
However, apart from the foregoing, we enjoyed our 1 night stay (a Tuesday). As my wife had checked in she mentioned she had difficulty climbing stairs as she was waiting for a knee op. The receptionist immediately and very helpfully changed our reserved room to a ground floor one across the courtyard, 401, which turned out to be an enormous family room with a window overlooking the courtyard and one looking out onto the back secure car park, which was in a very pleasant park like area of mature trees and lawn. It was hard to realise the hotel was on such a busy main road at the front.
We used the comfortable bar during the evening and had no complaints there but did not have breakfast so cannot comment on that.
Based on our experience, and the price we paid, we would stay here again.
(BTW we weren't asked for any photo ID as other reviewers seem to have been.)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S_M_I_B_31
Reviewed August 1, 2013

After months of travelling to South east Asia, I finally arrive at my humble abode (Birmingham). I stayed here for two nights before returning to London - where I study and work. I was immediately shocked by the HUGE disparity between staff customer service in Vietnam and staff customer service in the UK. There is a much greater level of service abroad than here, not least because foreigners know how to smile!!! The receptionist man looked really cheesed off by the questions I was delivering.. However, the rooms were pleasant, not attractive but clean with the tiniest TV's I had ever seen in my entire 22 years. I seriously hope my review will motivate management/owners to implement a new wave of initiatives to at least consider competing with the greats (who keep going, going, going UP).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Canai_E5
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booked via Hotels.com and had a good journey to Birmingham even thought the tunnels were shut due to road works.

Booked in and was then asked for ID, I supplied my old style UK driving licence only to told by the staff that I didn't have any legal ID!

I explained that there is no requirement in the UK for UK nationals to have photo ID - only to be told that that it was a 'legal' requirement. I pointed out again that there was no legal requirement and suggested that this was a hotel requirement.

The response to this was that 'legal' ID requirement was part of the Terms and Conditions of booking. I explained that this information available to me at the time of booking via hotels.com.

At this point I really thought that we would have to find somewhere else to stay but eventually after taking a photocopy of my driving licence we were allocated a room but decided that we would not use any of the facilities on site. Room was rather small but clean.

Room Tip: There are many hotels in the area, we will use those on our next business trip.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Morgannonumber
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Saw the negative reviews here after my partner had already booked for a 2 night stay so we were a little concerned. However, our fears were unfounded. All the staff were friendly & helpful & although we didn't use the bar or restaurant they looked welcoming.
Our room was spacious, well equipped & well maintained. There is ample free parking with a good choice of pubs/restaurants nearby. Birmingham city centre is within comfortable walking distance or there are plenty if buses.
We did have a room over looking the courtyard, which was a nice place to sit out. For me there was an issue on the first night with thoughtless guests sat out there, making a lot of noise until the early hours (probably the same sort of people who complain on here about not being allowed takeaway food in their rooms. I've never stayed in a hotel that allow that!) but my partner slept through it all. So unfair to blame the hotel about an additional facility they provide, that guests abuse. I would stay again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne S
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Doesn't look like much but we were there for the cricket, breakfast very good, rooms nice and clean, recommend, particularly if you are going to the cricket. Easy parking, good location for some local restaurants or an easy spin into town. Its a basic hotel but it had everything we needed. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends