“WORST HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED AT, TRUE HONEST REVIEW - READ WHOLE REVIEW!!!”

Edgbaston Palace Hotel
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my other half from 25th – 27th of January. We have stayed at many hotels and this is far by the WORSE hotel we have ever stayed at. Me and my other half had been looking forward to a weekend away for a long time as we haven’t had much time to ourselves because I’m 3 months pregnant and everyone is always around us so we were really looking forward to getting away on our own.

Normally when I’m staying somewhere I generally ignore the reviews if they are bad because I feel sometimes people expect to much, but these reviews on this site is COMPLETELY true – this is NO palace and I’d stay very far away, I for one definitely won’t be returning!

We arrived at The Edgbaston Palace Hotel (some palace) late on Friday evening (around 9:30pm) when we got there we were greeted by one man at reception who was very blunt and plain, didn’t really want to answer questions and just wanted us to get into our room really, he showed us the way to our room and we didn’t even get a “enjoy your stay” he just walked off. We are really kind and loving people so the hotels atmosphere here wasn’t clearly suited for people that are kind and nice – obviously they like people that don’t really want a conversation.

When we got to our room (room 442) it was NOTHING like the pictures that I’d seen on there site – it was tiny, everything was really close together barely any space, the doors and paintwork looked crap, we were staying 2 nights but they only gave us one toilet roll, which any other hotel I’ve been too always have two out just in case, the toilet roll is thin and horrible obviously they don’t care about there presentation at all but we put this aside and didn’t say anything and just went straight out when we got there for some food.

On Saturday morning we rang reception to ask them for some toilet roll which they said they would send someone up to give us some, we waited for 20 minutes and received nothing so I rang reception again and he said sorry I will send someone up right away – we waited another half an hour and still nothing, so in the end I went looking around and luckily enough the cleaners were down the corridor and kindly gave us some! The staff at the reception are just rude and clearly don’t want to help anyone out but after that we just left it.

But then it kept getting worse (MAIN BIT TO READ) - On the Saturday evening myself and my other half went out for some food at about 8:30 but unfortunately we tried 4 different places and all of them were full or an hour wait which we really didn’t want too do so after driving around for an hour, stop starting and feeling really stressed we got back to the “palace” hotel at about 10 and we went straight up to our room and ordered a dominos. When the Dominos came the dominos man rang us to let us know he was in the reception waiting so my other half went down and was greeted by a very rude man on reception who told him he wouldn’t be allowed to take that up to the room we were staying in and would have to eat it outside, so my other half rang me not making a big deal with the staff at all and let me know, which at this point I was feeling very tired and ill, I am three months pregnant and I felt this was appalling when we watched many people that day walk in the hotel with food –I felt like it was absolute discrimination, and the worse thing was that at 2 o’clock in the afternoon on Saturday we came back to the hotel after we’d been out and watched 5 lads walk into the hotel with lots of boxes full of dominos pizza which no one told them they had to eat outside or take it away etc, but when it’s a young couple we get told to eat it outside, in which I had to eat my dinner when I’m three months pregnant in my own car which was cold and dark as it was around 10:30pm. I think this as a hotel business is absolutely disgusting when just before I had watched a group of lads walk in with dominos pizza, at the point where we had to eat our own tea after a very long day in my cold car outside I was very angry and so was my other half in which he told the man that another man was smoking on the front door step when they clearly have a sign on the door saying not too, the man then told us he would tell the man to go and smoke somewhere else, but unfortunately he did not – which just showed we had been discriminated, how can it be a different rule for different people at a hotel?

I am appalled by the behaviour of the staff, they are rude and effortless with you. From the experience I have had with this hotel i definitely WILL NOT be returning back and will not be recommending it to ANYONE!

LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS – BECAUSE THEY ARE TRUE!!!!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UKHonestReviews

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My son had his wedding at this hotel and was very disapointed. The staff were unhelpfull and every thing seemed to be to much effort. The wedding planner promised the bar would be open after the wedding had finished. Then when we tried to get a drink after the wedding she said it would not be serving. When we asked to speak to the manager she started to cry. Finally we were told we could have one round,while we were getting a drink the owners friends turned up with bottles of vodka and sat in the lobby drinking. The breakfasts were tiny and we stopped on the way home to get a macdonalds.

Room Tip: The room i was in had wires sticking out the ceiling with tape on the ends.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrclay
Reviewed January 15, 2013

great staff, friendly and helpfull, made our stay there enjoyable, have been back again an will do again in the future, was a bit put off by the reviews and didnt no what to expect but glad i went, clean rooms and very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Staff were rude and unhelpful. Dirty room and overpriced for what you get. Bare wires sticking out of walls all over the hotel and out of our ceiling. Got woken up by room next door due to thin walls and loud pipes. Also received phonecall advising of checkout times even though we weren't due to checkout - no apology. Told the wrong breakfast times on arrival which led to us being half an hour late. Again, no apology and a point blank refusal to refund the £10 extra we had paid. We were offered cereal...£10 for cereal is fairly expensive even in today's economic climate! We weren't allowed to take a pizza into our room - I was told this was so that we wouldn't get any of it on the bedsheets yet on their menu it said we could order food from the hotel and consume that in our room. Air con did not work, had to sleep with window open.

All in all, fairly grotty and terrible customer service. This is not a 3 star establishment and with the current staff and management, it never will be.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Entrance not clean, rooms ok but not worth the price.
Received 3 phone calls from front desk, some quite sarcastic, to vacate room on the day we were leaving (we ran 10 minutes over check out time) and they were subsequently unapologetic at the desk.
Visit was especially bad due to noisy early morning building works on the Sunday morning (with no rate reduction to compensate)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My friends and I transfered to this hotel on New Years Eve after refusing to stay in the disgusting Norfolk hotel opposite. We were very lucky have had the last 2 rooms in the hotel and couldnt believe the difference. £13 dearer and it felt like luxury compared to the Norfolk. Staff were helpful and rooms were clean and spacious. Really saved our night, very grateful!

Room Tip: Good budget hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Attended a great murder mystery dinner at the Edgbaston Palace Hotel last Friday night.
After Dark Murder provided the entertainment, a Carry On based evening where we had to find the "murderer". Unlike other similar events we have been to this was challenging but still solvable. We enjoyed this hugely.
The food was standard christmas meal fayre, plenty of it as well. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012