Edgbaston Palace Hotel
$84
$99
$92
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Having read some previous reviews I really thought we were going to be staying in a regimental run establishment - 'do not do this do not do that!!!'. We arrived on friday afternoon and was met by a friendly young lady on reception who was able to answer all our questions on how to get about (as I was parking the car up and didn't intend to use until we left today) within minutes she supplied us with approx 6 different time tables for buses that stopped outside the hotel - She also advised us the the German Xmas Market was taking place (something that we weren't aware of) so this made a pleasant surprise to the start of the weekend. We were given a quiet room overlooking the court yard which was very clean and well presented (there is some updating going on at present but this doesn't have any effect on you as a guest). We ate in the hotel in the evening and found there was a good selection on the menu - no complaints there - breakfast itself was also sufficient - plenty to be going on with. Raj (the manager) was on hand for any questions that you may have had (ie.was the curry homemade and was it good? ha ha). The only down side I came across in the hotel was that there was no water pressure for the shower.Having not been to Birmingham before we really enjoyed the shopping experience. The German Xmas Market, The Bull Ring, The Metro - If you need to take a rest break while there pop into the Yard Bird for a welcoming drink and a well earned rest. (to get about the hotel will also arrange your taxis) We would definately return to the Edgbaston Palace Hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JadieWales
Reviewed November 21, 2012

to be ruined by the fact that we could not get in to the hotel when we got back had to wait for someone to let us in then was interrogated what room we was staying in and where was it bar was shut early paid £24 for 4 drinks in the afternoon was told no drinks in the rooms or no food room was clean shower never worked was more like a trickle of water wires hanging out of walls and ceiling would not stay there again

Room Tip: dont pick any rooms find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lillyloo186377
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Organised my wedding reception to be here the room was lovely, but was told that the bar would be open after party which was a lie. Which meant we missed out on having a quite drink with friends that had come from New Zealand. My great uncle who recently had surgery was denied a hot beverage had to leave early. The nite before there was problems with setting up the room. Staff are unfriendly, not helpful and rude. Some of the rooms that family and friends stayed in were damaged.i feel that they tell you exactly what you want to hear so you will book your event. DON'T TRUST THEM THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY. I would avoid them wished I would of booked the quality hotel instead then my wife wouldn't of been upset on her special day.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Kjamesc
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is an unfriendly place. The staff seem unhappy and the service suffers as a result. The breakfasts leave much to be desired.
I was offered a room which had obviously recently been occupied by a chain-smoker. The room I had instead overlooked a courtyard where some drunks turned up at five in the morning and caused a disturbance.
They charge you for WiFi.
I wouldn't go back there if I was paid to do so.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Auberon
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for just one night and that was one night too much!!.The staff are completely unhelpful and arrogant,the rooms are grubby and claustrophobic.There are wires hanging out ofthe ceilings everywhere, unfinished bodge jobs inthe room, no toiletries provided, couldn't open window, blinds didn't work because incorrectly installed. Was woken up at 4. am by at least 10 young blokes swearing, smashing glasses, inthe courtyard right outsidethe rooms.Theythen set offthe fire alarm for a joke and just carried on drinking outside.The Hotel "Staff" just askedthem to keep noise down and went back inside withthe alarm still sounding for almost an hour. Inthe morning I went to reception to check out and complain butthere was a queue of peoplebefore me ALL complaining about the Hotel, it's staff, problems with rooms,the bad manners and lack of interest in putting anything right. When I got tothe reception desk I was told that it wasn'ttheir fault thatthey couldn't stopthe alarms being set off and it wasn't really a problem!!!!!The staff have a complete lack of control withinthe building so you will not be guaranteed any sleep or any safety and forgetabout trying to complainabout anything becasuethey refuse to listen or do anythingabout it.The queue behindme heard what I was saying andALL agreed and echoedthe complaints. This place is being run and staffed by idiots who haven't got any clueabout running a hotel and are only interested in taking your cash (And that especially goes forthe bar !) You would be better off sleeping rough to be honest, it would be a lot warmer and you would get far better nights sleep!!!!!There are plenty more hotels on this road so do yourself a huge favour! AVOID this nightmare!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother withthe hotel atall, that'sthe best and only advice anyone could give!!!!
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple