Edgbaston Palace Hotel
$84
$100
$91
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute so we did get a double room at a good price - there was an extra £7.50 for breakfast which would have been £11 .50 if not booked in advance which I thought rather strange.
The room was clean but the recent renovation had not been completed - bare wires from the ceiling and in the hall did not inspire much confidence! The room we had was non-smoking but there was a distinct smell of smoke in the corridors which I found unpleasant. The breakfast room was lovely, with a good view of the outside courtyard and the breakfast itself was good.
The bar area had been recently decorated but had not been completely finished (very noisy in the evening with a large screen tv showing football) - not inducive to having a quiet nightcap! The hotel 'rules' were more in line with an old fashioned B&B - no drink or food in the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I'm so glad people are reporting the truth about this hotel. The ONLY thing going for it, is that it is cheap and comes with parking.

Apart from that, rooms are shabby and unclean, bathroom doesn't look clean and staff are appauling in terms of service and etiquette. The one time I stayed there as it was already paid for, I left some belongings in the room. I called around 15 minutes after and they said they would check the following morning, And guess what, everything disappeared! I would love to prove they stole my things, but can't.

Please do not go to this hotel, as there are much better ones. They even feel they have the class to charge high prices for such a sub standard hotel.

Foiod also was terrible and room service charge is over the top!

Room Tip: Find a better hote near by, and don't pay more than £40a night, as you will be disappointed. At least if you get it cheap you can expect the cheap service too
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My partner, son and I stayed at this hotel for one night over the bank holiday weekend. It wasn't bad. I was a bit nervous as it is quite an old building and it looks a bit worn out, but I was pleasantly surprised with the bedroom. It was a good size, looked quite newly refurbished, and it was very clean. The bathroom was also very clean, and a good standard, the bath was a little scuffed on the outside but nothing to worry about.
Our only complaint really was the facilities for our son - we asked for a cot and a travel cot was brought to the room. The guy from the desk did offer to put it up for us, but we have done it before so we thought we would do it ourselves, however one side of the cot was broken and would not click into place. As our son is only 16 weeks, it wasn't a huge deal however if he was older it would have been an issue. The base of the cot was also not the best and very lumpy, so our son ended up sleeping in with us as he kept waking, I presume, to discomfort. We also had to ask for sheets etc for the cot, I think they probably should have been given to us with the cot itself, as not everyone carry's spare sheets with them.
That said, the service was excellent and I can't fault the staff who served us at the desk and at the bar. We'd happily stay here again. I would say the hotel is more a 2 star than 3 star, but its a good 2 star, and a good budget option if you're looking for a cheap hotel in Birmingham with free parking.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just got home from a one night stay in this revolting hotel! It was filthy dirty! Do not recommend at all! Staff very rude, hardly spoke to us! We did get a lecture on arrival about not eating in our room, not good when you have 2 kids in tow who have a bag full of goodies! Dirty tiles over bath with last familys hairs and shower gel, yuk!! Didn't stay in a travel lodge because of bad reviews just wished I had read reviews on this hotel! Stay clear!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Had not been back in Birmingham for 30 years , what a pleasant surprise , The lady on reception was happy to help with maps, bus timetables etc , we were made to feel welcome from the word go . The room was clean and had all we needed (a bed and a kettle) the courtyard was quiet and a nice wee retreat from the busy Hagley road .. we spent our time in the fantastic city centre and used the room to sleep in, Breakfast was fresh and served with a smile , no complaints from us thank you

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be in the courtyard anyway
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple