“Good but inconsistent”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here for two or three days a week for a six week period. The location is excellent for access but, as a city center hotel that brings issues, notably noise.
The rooms are reasonable considering the age of the building but they are all different and thus can be inconsistent. Some have huge bathrooms with shower and bath, some just showers. Some have trouser presses and mini fridges, some neither!
Rooms onto the street and the Station can be very noisy until very late. Ask for rooms in the center of the Hotel - they have views of the ducting but are quiet.
The Restaurant has a Scottish 'theme' (Macdonald !) so has good steaks and even haggis - initially I found this good but it paled after 6 weeks! That said the central location means that there is a huge choice of other restaurants all within an easy stroll.
A good business hotel but not for a long stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 4Bradfords
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear 4Bradfords

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The Burlington Hotel was originally the Midland Hotel which serviced New Street Station dating back to circa 1870 and is steeped in History and original features all adding to its character, which we feel is sadly lacking in many of today’s newly built modern hotels. As such our bedrooms do vary in shape and size; however, should you have a particular favorite bedroom please contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will endeavour to ensure you allocated this room. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,040)

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Burlington on several occasions, and each time I have found the rooms to be comfortable and clean. The staff are friendly and keen to make sure that your stay is good (my experience is that whatever you ask they will do their best to accommodate you). The location is great for shopping and the railway station. There is facilities to leave your luggage on the day of checking out to be collected later when your ready. There is a good selection of choice for breakfast, and in the bar and restaurant. The food is fabulous. I would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Dino482014

Thank you so much for your lovely comments especially about my team! I am very proud of the team and how they all work to deliver exceptional customer service. I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent for Shopping & it's proximity to the Railway Station, we stayed on Sat night and attended a concert at the NEC, which is only a 10 min train journey from New St. The Staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. On the downside we felt the room we stayed in ( which they had upgraded) was a little tired and could do with a makeover! The windows wouldn't close so it was quite noisy all night with Saturday night revellers. However the room was clean which for me is important.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Denise C

I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found all of my team very friendly and helpful. Thank you! I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room. We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme in place. On this particular occasion I can only assume you were allocated one of our older bedrooms.

Please contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated one of our newer bedrooms. I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Have been here a few times there are a few nice rooms once wanted to change room and staff were really accommodating breakfast is wonderful really tasty with local produce used location great for shops and clubs can also stay here with tesco clubcard vouchers : )

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tracy S

I am so pleased you continue to return to us and I am delighted you found my team accommodating in dealing with your requests.

Thank you for your kind comments!

We do hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a very welcoming hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. We stayed there before Christmas and are returning again this Friday.

The rooms are excellant and very comfortable.
The location is perfect for shopping and going to the nearby theatres.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Myra C

Dear Myra C

Thank you so much for your loyalty and for posting such kind comments about our hotel and my team!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Parking is at the new street NCP approx 10 min walk (I walk slow) and quite easy to find. Checked in early as the room was ready, lady at reception was very helpful which could leave us to our days shopping at the bullring very close by. The room (a suite) was very well equipped, overlooking the busy shoppers on the Main Street but quiet enough. Bed was very comfortable, shower ok and staff did all they could to help. We didn't eat there as there are many places to choose from close by. On checking out the hotel they validated our parking ticket which cost us £6 in total for the 24 hour stay, much better than stated £24 on the price board at the car park so thank you Macdonald Burlington.

Room Tip: If you're getting there early and travelling by car take your bags from the car park to the hote...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Glenbevis

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such kind comments!

We believe our location could not be any better; located in the very heart of Birmingham, with world-class shopping and entertainment just a short walk from the hotel. If you have the opportunity, I would personally recommend a re-visit towards the end of November, or in December for Christmas shopping with the German Market literally right on our doorstep and a must visit before Christmas.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and if there is anything I can do to help enhance your next stay, I can be contacted on Derek.McDonagh@Macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have used this Hotel regularly for leisure stays. Cheryl was particularly helpful and polite.
I had a delightful spacious room which was immaculate.
In recognition of my repeat business Cheryl upgraded my room and included a free breakfast which was a lovely gesture.
Would stay here again and would highly recommend.
Steven

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Steven50228
Derek M, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Steven50228

I am delighted to learn Cheryl looked after you during your stay and thank you so much for your kind comments! I will be sure to personally pass your feedback on to Cheryl.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!