“Excellent location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
England
“Excellent location”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed at the Burlington for two nights with my husband in an executive double room.
The room was on the fifth floor and was wonderful, comfy bed, lovely big bathroom and plenty of space.
The hotel is a beautiful old building right in the centre of Birmingham, only a very short walk from new street train station. I was worried it might be noisy, but this was not the case at all. We visited the museum and art gallery (5 minutes walk), the ikon gallery (a further 10 minutes) and several pubs and restaurants. The hotel is also very close the the huge array of shops in Birmingham.
The breakfast was very nice, with plenty of helpful staff. It was nice to have a freshly cooked breakfast served to you, rather than a help yourself buffet.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Ronnie andMark

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and post such a positive review! .

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Derek McDonagh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Glasgow
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed here in Feb for a business trip.

The location to New street station is excellent (right in front!)

The receptionist (Cheryl I think) was lovely! Full of information & gave me a warm welcome.

My hotel room was lovely, very spacious with a huge comfortable bed & small seating area.

The bathroom was also a decent size with a tub & shower built in.

I tried to use the shower but it was practically impossible due to the height of the shower head which you couldn't move?
I am 6ft2 but the shower head only came up to my chest height. I did mention this to reception that I couldn't take a shower & had to use the bath but the girl on check in just laughed it off?

My major criticism for this hotel is for any room that looks onto the station. The noise was terrible! I was on the 3rd floor & I was kept awake past 1am with the noise from people outside. There was a concert playing locally which increased the numbers of people passing.
I know it is not the hotels fault but they should try some sound proofing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Alan M

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review and for your very kind comments about Cheryl! I will be certain to personally pass on your feedback to her, as I know she will be encouraged by it.

I am very sorry to learn of the noise disturbances you experienced and the challenges you encountered with the shower in your room.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book and I will ensure you are allocated a quieter room with a more suitable shower. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This 4 star hotel located in th heart of Birmingham City centre on New St has to be the best hotel location in town for shopping. This Victorian hotel formally "midland hotel" was built to service the New st station opposite. In the past, top stars would stay in this prestigious hotel, however these days the building has seen its best. The entrance is situated in the swanky Burlington arcade, the entrance is impressive but once inside the reception area is a let down, although clean, the design and decor is uninspiring. However, the hotels best assets are the staff, from reception to dining room, the staff are profesional, polite, friendly and smart. The grandeur of the past is apparent, but the lack of attention to detail let's it down a touch. The room was newly decorated and was innovative in design, it ways clean and furniture was of a high standard. There were a few minor maintenance issues which let it down a tad. Breakfast was freshly cooked and not buffet and was cooked to a high standard using te best ingredients. It wouldn't take much to make this good hotel a great hotel. As the hotel is in a Pedestrianised area, so doasnt have its own car park, the NCP New st car par is opposite, it costs about £23 for 24 hrs but the receptionist told me they have concessions which bring the cost down to around £5, there is no mention of this on their website which is a shame as I decided to park further away. The price compared to other equivalent hotels locally is on the high side.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear a drian3694

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular thank you for your kind comments about my team, which I will be sure to personally pass on to them!

I really appreciate you taking the time to post such constructive comments and will be reviewing them in more detail with my management team. Such feedback really does assist us in improving our service and product for the future. Thank you!

We do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Booked to stay for a night here and catch Gary Barlow at the lg arena - having read some of the previous reviews was a bit reticent in advance but upon arrival was pleasantly surprised. The check in with Sarah was smooth, she was bubbly and welcoming offering us bag storage and maps of the city. The hotel is two minutes from the station, 2 minutes from shops and restaurants - great location - yes it is a bit dated but the rooms are big, clean and really what more do you want ? We had a view over the pipes, but for a flying visit - who cares - it was nice and quiet and if take this over a street view on a rowdy Saturday night. Very pleased and reasonably priced. Would recommend to anyone coming for a quick weekend in Birmingham

Stayed April 2014
Dear Kirstendoidge

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind comments about Sarah! I will be sure to pass on you feedback to her, as I know she will be encouraged by it.

We hope to see you again soon!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed there shortly last week and met a colleague, unfortunately the bar was under refurb so missed an opportunity there, very grand, articulately clean hotel, room was upgraded on arrival so pleased, the best pillows ever, would recommend if travelling into new street train station as its literally built into it, the trams are being built around it at the moment but easily accessible. would definitely stay there again x

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Belinda A

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I have recently stayed for business several times at this hotel. I have to say that the staff there have given me the best service I have experienced in a hotel. I ate alone in the restaurant and was made to feel extremely welcome by the staff here. I was away from my young baby for the first time and reception arranged for me to have an extra hour in my room to express milk between meetings on checkout day. Every member of staff was polite and welcoming and made my stay much happier and easier. Being new to Birmingham the location was fabulous. I am considering returning here for a city break with my family.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear BethanyF

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review and for your very kind comments about my team! I am delighted to learn and I am very proud they delivered the best service you have ever experienced in a hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments as I know how much it will mean to them. Thank you!

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly and I will ensure you enjoy another comfortable and most enjoyable stay. I can be contacted on gm.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

We look forward to seeing you, and hopefully meeting your family, again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stay in this hotel regularly as it is located close to conference facilities used by my company. I had problems in October last year whilst the hotel was refurbishing the kitchen as their food service and standard was dire. I complained and the Manager said he would upgrade me on my next stay.
When I returned recently he did upgrade me to a huge room and I noticed that the quality of food had improved significantly. The vegetarian choices are still limited though. Overall the hotel is central to the shops and station but nothing spectacular for the business traveller.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mena999

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry to learn of your previous experience in October; however, I am pleased my team upgraded your bedroom on this occasion and that you noted a significant improvement in the quality of our food offering. We do listen to customer feedback and through such strive to improve our product and service for the future.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!