“Lovely hotel”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night after a business dinner. The rooms are lovely, the beds are HUGE and most of the staff I came into contact with were friendy and helpful. I was only at the hotel for a short time so I can't comment on a lot of the facilities.

The Bacchus bar just below the hotel is also lovely and a good place to have a drink and food.

I would have rated the hotel more highly apart from a few things. I got back from my night out after having a few drinks and needed a cup of tea before bed. There wasn't any tea making facilities in my room so I called reception to order the tea. About 20 mins later I got a call from reception telling me to use the kettle in my room and after explaining that there wasn't one (or at least I couldn't find one) it was another 20 mins before I got my tea.

When I had checked in earlier in the afternoon the fire alarm went off so I grabbed my coat and started to make my way down to reception when it stopped, so I went back to my room, not a problem. It was more of a problem when it went off again at 9am the next morning after I'd only been asleep for 5 hours...

That said, it's a lovely hotel with lot's of character and I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank emmalemmalinglong

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a girly weekend.
Had a great time. No negatives at all. Room great, staff helpful and attentive. Breakfast was the best!
Central location, so good for shopping, and night out. Walking distance to Mailbox and Broad Street.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Lovely visit with stunning room. Booked again for the Christmas Market, which is amazing! Another tip, drop in downstairs to the Bacchus Bar. Kind of dark secret resteraunt undernieth with all the atmosphere and character of something from an old film.

Seriously if you're staying in Birmingham, pick this place.
Loved it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

2 mins from New Street Station. In the centre of the the main shopping area of Birmingham and of the highest quality. Great rooms, knowledgeable helpful staff, the best breakfast in Birmingham using quality ingredients. In the evening try the Scotch Steak club for the best steak in Birmingham. In all not to be passed by. Highly recommended for either business or pleasure

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I was fortunate enough to be invited to a function at the Burlington so we decided to make a night of it. The hotel is situated in a great location, the building its self was amazing and the reception staff made us feel really welcome. We were very impressed with our room (it was huge) and most importantly immaculately clean. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Love the executive suite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was absolutely thrilled with our recent visit! From the very second I booked the rooms, I was impressed with the service. ...when we arrived, I really couldn't have asked for a more friendly welcome. The receptionist went out of her way to make us feel welcome, and was incredibly friendly and accomodating.
Breakfast was lovely - a super choice,and nothing was too much for the staff.I had my daughters and their friends with me, and staff ensured we had rooms close to each other, as I had requested when booking.
A thoroughly enjoyable stay, and we will most definately be returning. A huge thank you to the staff!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013

A very nice hotel in the centre of Birmingham. The staff we're very helpful and pleasant. The hotel is a good standard and our room was very comfortable and clean.

I enjoyed breakfast and it was cooked to order which I prefer.

There is no parking at the hotel but if you park at the nominated NCP it cost about £5.00 for 24hrs rather than £24.00 - you need to get a ticket from reception when you depart.

New street station is a very short walk if you travel by train.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple