“SURPRISED”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 4, 2013

After reading the reviews I was apprehensive about our last minute stay, but we were pleasantly surprised. We booked an executive double but upon check in (we arrived at 11.00) there wasn't one available but we were upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor. A little tired but a lovely room with separate a sitting room. We requested a quiet room after reading reviews and very little noise could be heard. Breakfast was lovely and cooked to order from a menu as well as a continental buffet. Overall a lovely stay great location and room upgrade was such a pleasant surprise for my birthday stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear travelagent016

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your birthday stay with us and in particular the surprise upgrade and our award winning Macdonald signature breakfast. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,038)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the 30/08/13. I had been in town on business and had decided to make an evening of it and stay over. We chose this hotel as we had had the pleasure on 3 fairly recent occasions of dining here in the Scottish Steak House (which I may add was delightful and the ambience gorgeous as was the food) So it seemed natural to book this hotel for our very rare overnight stay. DISAPPOINTING I was not angry with the experience just very sadly disappointed as this was not a 4 star experience. The bed was probably the smallest double I have ever slept in. The room was clearly usually occupied by a sole occupant. There was one drinking glass, one bathroom glass, one robe. We did not realise this until we returned at 2200hrs to our room. We then found just Two of the most squidgy pillows which were dreadful to sleep on. I resorted to bolstering the pillow with one from the armchair, (which was stained). In the morning I found that we had one bath towel and one hand towel. I contacted housekeeping and this was rectified very quickly. Though she asked if i had checked the wardrobe for more... I had hence why I rang them. This was a positive. I pointed these things out as we booked out as we were asked if all was ok. This too was positively received. The receptionist stated she would ring us during the day to discuss our concerns. It's mid afternoon as so far no call though I believe they will make contact. I hope so. I suppose had we booked an executive room there would have been none of this but I think for a 4 star hotel this was not acceptable. I also pointed out that if you were of a larger build I doubt two individuals could have slept in the bed at all!!! Never mind it was only one night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie G

Dear Debbie G

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards. As you can see from our ranking and reviews on tripadviser, the vast majority of our guests leave the Burlington more than satisfied with their stay. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case for you.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I had an impromptu night away in Birmingham and got this hotel for £68 bed and breakfast which was very good. Check in was fine nice friendly staff. We were on the 3rd floor and room was nice with a huge bathroom. Water was provided in a nice glass bottle however it stated it was sparking when in fact it was still water!!! Bed was comfortable but pillows were too soft and thin. Ok nights sleep but was quite a lot of people coming in and out of their rooms and chatting. In the morning went down for breakfast lovely Buffett of breads, pastries cereals juices etc but the good breakfast left a lot to be desired!!! Bacon very fatty sausage not very nice and black pudding not even cooked!! Toast was brought out with tea and coffee which meant by the time the cooked breakfast came out it was stone cold.
Hotel needs updating. Overall an ok stay for the price and handy for the shops!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EMMA S

Dear EMMA S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be friendly; however, may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with our cooked breakfast. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that morning and I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our Head Chef and Food and beverage Manager. They have especially been asked to be associated with my apology.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed a night here a couple of weeks ago and had a fabulous time! The room was large and very spacious...plenty of room for a family of four. Beautiful food ( breakfast is a must) and perfect location for all the shops.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear 5Lizzie

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you and your family had a fabulous time staying with us and in particular enjoyed our breakfast offering. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night in a room for 3, booked for 3 checked in as 3 however the room was equipped for 2. 2 glasses, cups, towels etc so yes it was addresses once we asked for another towel and toiletries but in my opinion if the room was allocated to 3 then good service would have been to have it equipped for 3.
The room was adequate, air conditioning units rumbled a bit but we got over it. Other guests slamming doors at 2.30am was disturbing but not the hotels fault. Breakfast was a let down, 45 mins from ordering a cooked breakfast to receiving it was a ridiculous wait, several others also waited! When it did come it was not good, the sausage was cold bacon underdone and the egg was rock solid. The staff were very apologetic for the delay and clearly saw our disappointment with what was served. When we checked out breakfast was deducted from our bill which was a positive move. It was just a shame it spoilt what otherwise was an ok hotel stay. I have had better in birmingham so may try another again for my next stay.
Pavil

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Pavil

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with your bedroom and the service shortfalls you experienced in our restaurant.

I would like to assure you your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual standards. I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The service i received on arrival and departure from the hotel was great especially the lovely lady called Sarah at the front desk who had lots of energy and was very smiley, the hotel itself although not my choice as it was booked through work has a great regal element to it.

Great breakfast in the morning my room was huge and a large bathroom to match which my colleagues where jealous of the room was clean but could do with an upgrade above the bed the paint looked weathered almost bubbling on a large part of it not very pleasant.

Great location in the city centre and a 30 second walk to Neal street station and to near by broad street for some great food.

overall pleased

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear the1king

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed our breakfast offering and found the great service you received from our reception staff. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Sarah, as I know she will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful weekend break at The Macdonald Burlington Hotel. When we arrived we were given a complimentary room upgrade. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable and the staff couldn't do enough to help. We would definitely stay at this hotel if we ever returned to Birmingham. The only downside I have is the price of the drinks in the hotel bar

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Benhol123

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you had a wonderful weekend break with us and in particular enjoyed the comfort of our beds and our staffs’ willingness to help. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.