“Excellent location and high class”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Excellent location and high class”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Right in the heart of the city with easy access to shopping, restaurants and cultural venues, this hotel is high quality. My room was also quiet because it overlooked an internal area. Not the best view perhaps, but at least I could open my window overnight for some fresh air. (how odd that a notice asked guests to keep the window shut and use the air con so as to be green - switchIng off the air con is surely far greener!) Breakfast was cooked to order and there was a wide choice. Staff were friendly. My only complaint would be the way the air con kept coming back on automatically every time the power was switched on for the room, and I HATE air con.

1 Thank vivoward
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear vivoward

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed our breakfast offering and found our staff to be friendly.

With regards to the notice concerning our air conditioning and keeping windows shut. The sign advises our guests “For your comfort please keep these windows closed at all times in order for the climate control to work effectively”. Unfortunately many guests choose to leave the window open and use the air conditioning at the same time. This causes the air conditioning to become inefficient and thus energy is used unnecessarily; however, I can see why the notice may cause confusion and will be reviewing the wording accordingly.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Last night was my first trip to Birmingham in a long time and I was pleased to see the city had changed a lot over the last 10 years. I had business in town so I decided to stay in New Street, of station fame. The Burlington Hotel is in an old commercial building. I stayed on the top floor in a lovely large room with great views, comfortable furnishings and a fantastic bathroom. The staff were very accommodating, the facilities good and the breakfast excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to visit Birmingham and I hope it won't be 10 years until I stay over again

Room Tip: The executive rooms are on the 5th floor
1 Thank PaulHSE16
Dear PaulHSE16

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very accommodating, the facilities good and our breakfast excellent. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Newcastle
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Forget those reviews that talk about it being old. That is the big plus. Easy to get to from the station. Lovely friendly receptionists. Terrific room with all you need. Comfortable and big beds. Nice that it does not seem to attract rowdy groups that other hotels in city centres do. Really enjoyed it and will return.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Sue A
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Sue A

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have always had a very enjoyable stay here, have been coming back to this hotel for 10 years.
The staff are always so friendly, I missed seeing our favourite receptionist Naila as she has moved on but Richard was very attentive.
Food as always was beautiful and it was so good to see a friendly face in the restaurant Dawn the waitress is very friendly and very attentive.
We will always come back to the burlington for the comfort, food and service.
I have recommended this hotel to all my family and friends.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking New street are the quieter rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caroline c
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Caroline c

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very friendly and attentive. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, especially Richard and Dawn, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Wigton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Second time I've stayed here recently, bit of an old fashioned city centre hotel, but its really comfortable, clean, warm and cosy. Much nicer than some of the soulless travel lodge type places that make city centre overnights so tedious. Excellent city centre location close to restaurants and pubs and the shops. Really good breakfast too just makes for a good oral experience

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank johnpears
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear johnpears

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed the Macdonald signature breakfast.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

First impressions were good, the reception staff were welcoming and the lobby/reception were stunning. Unfortunately it went downhill from then on...
The room I was given was tiny, there were tea/coffee splash marks over two of the walls, as well as dirty marks on the bedding. The bed was also on coasters so when I sat down, it rolled across the incredibly loud creaky floor.
I contacted reception and they agreed to move me to an executive room (the only other spare room in the hotel apparently) that was equally small. The room was cold and despite playing with the thermostat, I couldn't get it to warm up. I contacted reception again and someone arrived (almost immediately thankfully) to explain that the thermostat was for the air con only; if I wanted heat I needed to lift an extremely heavy table and standard lamp to one side and climb over a chair to adjust the radiator - not an easy task I can tell you!
Next I tried to connect to the hotel wifi, only to be told there wasn't any. Fair enough there is a cable in the room but that doesn't help when you use a tablet, as so many people do these days. Thankfully I had my mobile wifi device on me.
A colleague and I went for dinner in the hotel but were forgotten about after being told to wait in the bar. We were only given a table after chasing them up 45 minutes later.
Once I arrived back at my room, I tried to take a shower, only to find the temperature was luke warm at best. Once again I contacted reception and the same man as before came back. Despite being over 6ft and well built, even he struggled to turn the control far enough to get hot water.
Finally, I called back down to ask if the hot breakfast was a buffet or if we needed to order. I was told it was a buffet; imagine my surprise the following morning to be told that if I wanted a hot breakfast I would have to wait. Thankfully, the waitress who took my order was extremely apologetic and was able to speed my order through so that I didn't have to wait.
Reading other reviews, it sounds as though executive rooms and suites are okay but their standard rooms need some serious attention; and until there is wifi in all rooms, I most definitely will not be returning.

Dear CLAIREM819

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

had an executive suite which was spacious, looked newly decorated, large new bathroom,
friendly staff at check in, good variety for breakfast, although I would say their restaurant lacks ambience and i would not wish to have an evening meal in their
no car park but the hotel has an excellent position very central

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rewecourt
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear rewecourt

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the Albany Holloway NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is also 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.