“Good city centre hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wigton, United Kingdom
“Good city centre hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Second time I've stayed here recently, bit of an old fashioned city centre hotel, but its really comfortable, clean, warm and cosy. Much nicer than some of the soulless travel lodge type places that make city centre overnights so tedious. Excellent city centre location close to restaurants and pubs and the shops. Really good breakfast too just makes for a good oral experience

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank johnpears
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear johnpears

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed the Macdonald signature breakfast.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

First impressions were good, the reception staff were welcoming and the lobby/reception were stunning. Unfortunately it went downhill from then on...
The room I was given was tiny, there were tea/coffee splash marks over two of the walls, as well as dirty marks on the bedding. The bed was also on coasters so when I sat down, it rolled across the incredibly loud creaky floor.
I contacted reception and they agreed to move me to an executive room (the only other spare room in the hotel apparently) that was equally small. The room was cold and despite playing with the thermostat, I couldn't get it to warm up. I contacted reception again and someone arrived (almost immediately thankfully) to explain that the thermostat was for the air con only; if I wanted heat I needed to lift an extremely heavy table and standard lamp to one side and climb over a chair to adjust the radiator - not an easy task I can tell you!
Next I tried to connect to the hotel wifi, only to be told there wasn't any. Fair enough there is a cable in the room but that doesn't help when you use a tablet, as so many people do these days. Thankfully I had my mobile wifi device on me.
A colleague and I went for dinner in the hotel but were forgotten about after being told to wait in the bar. We were only given a table after chasing them up 45 minutes later.
Once I arrived back at my room, I tried to take a shower, only to find the temperature was luke warm at best. Once again I contacted reception and the same man as before came back. Despite being over 6ft and well built, even he struggled to turn the control far enough to get hot water.
Finally, I called back down to ask if the hot breakfast was a buffet or if we needed to order. I was told it was a buffet; imagine my surprise the following morning to be told that if I wanted a hot breakfast I would have to wait. Thankfully, the waitress who took my order was extremely apologetic and was able to speed my order through so that I didn't have to wait.
Reading other reviews, it sounds as though executive rooms and suites are okay but their standard rooms need some serious attention; and until there is wifi in all rooms, I most definitely will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear CLAIREM819

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

had an executive suite which was spacious, looked newly decorated, large new bathroom,
friendly staff at check in, good variety for breakfast, although I would say their restaurant lacks ambience and i would not wish to have an evening meal in their
no car park but the hotel has an excellent position very central

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rewecourt
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear rewecourt

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

With regards to our parking arrangements, unfortunately being a city centre hotel our options are limited; however, we do have negotiated rates at two local car parks for our guest’s convenience. The Birmingham Town Hall car park (also known as the red cage) located on Brunel Street is a 4-5 minute walk from the hotel and the Albany Holloway NCP car park located on St Jude’s Passage is a 6-7 minute walk from the hotel. There is also 24 hour motor vehicle access to the rear of the hotel on Stephenson Street allowing guests to drop luggage prior to parking there car.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

Liskeard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you want a swanky, new hotel, this is not the place to come. If you want a hotel with history, with the feeling of dated chique, although rather shabby in places now, this is the place to come. It feels right, the rooms have a welcoming feeling. The staff are always remarkably friendly. The buffet continental breakfast is good, the English breakfast is cooked to order. The breakfast room is probably the best bit of this hotel: east facing, huge windows, views on the high street.
Just don't get sidetracked by the slightly stained curtains or walls, or carpet. This is all wear and tear and almost feels right in this place. The bathroom is always clean, ditto the linen and towels.
I come back here every year, warts and all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Lydie1 43

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very friendly and enjoyed our breakfast. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

I would also like to take this opportunity to let you know, in keeping with the historical character of the hotel, we are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms and the vast majority of rooms have already been updated.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while I was away on a studio trip.
It was beautiful hotel, The staff were great and very helpful. The room was just as lovely as the rest of the hotel.
The location was perfect also, with the town centre on your doorstep and Birmingham new Street and Snow Hill stations nice a close.
I would not hesitate to book again next time I visit Birmingham

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Vikki B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was great to find this beautiful hotel tucked between some of my favourite high street shops!

The glossed pebble flooring of the reception was a sight to behold! The front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful, having followed the sat-nav to the highstreet, they all but walked us to New Street multi-storey car park!

The hotel has a wonderful old world charm and if only those walls could talk!

Walking into our room felt like a scen from one of my favourite childhood films - Home Alone Lost in New York! The rich wintery colour palette was so inviting, along with the vintage and antique furnishings. If you enjoy bathing in sunshine then room 207 is not for you!

The service directory felt like it was written for permanent residents and it wouldn't surprise me if there were many seasonal lodgers at the Burlington enjoying their golden years!

The bathroom was vast in comparison with the cosy bedroom and the facilities were very well maintained.

As mentioned the bedroom was very cosy in both style and dimension. When getting the ironing board from the wardrobe my buttocks were bruised by the corner of the dressing table! (and I'm only a size 10!)

The bed was very comfortable; dense matress but not too firm.

We didn't have breakfast as we had to leave fairly early in the morning.

Although our experience at the hotel was limited I have no doubt that the rest of the facilities would be excellent as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lowrihedd

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be very helpful, I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

I do hope the bruising you suffered during your stay did not cause you too much discomfort and would be delighted to invite you to stay in one of our larger rooms on a future visit. I can be contacted on opsmgr.burlington@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the future and also hope you have the opportunity to try our signature breakfast.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff were really friendly and helpful in this centrally located hotel, only minutes away from Birmingham New Street train station as well as the famous bullring shopping centre. We had paid for an executive room as it was a special treat, however I feel the rooms did let down the hotel. Our room did not feel executive, apart from having one dressing gown. I couldn't imaging the standard rooms being any smaller. In addition, there were a number of little maintenance items that need attending to (i.e. fridge didn't work - we reported this, but it hadn't been fixed by the time we left, moths in the wardrobe, only one hook in the bathroom which twirled around when trying to hang anything on it etc). From this experience, I would say it was a good standard 3 star, but didn't rate the 4 I was expecting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Steve C

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us overall, and in particular found our staff to be both friendly and helpful; however, may I sincerely apologise for the maintenance shortfalls you experienced in your room. I would like to assure you your feedback has been highlighted with our Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers so the appropriate remedial works can be completed.

I am also sorry to hear you found your room to be too small and would be delighted to invite you to stay in one of our larger rooms on a future visit. I can be contacted on opsmgr.burlington@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post such a constructive review.

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Burlington Hotel in the near future.