“Great traditional hotel in City Centre”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is our second visit to Macdonald Burlington Hotel, Birmingham as we loved it so much the first time. The staff are excellent and it is a beautiful traditional hotel in the perfect location for city centre shopping. We ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious, especially the trio of creme brulee pudding which was divine. Our suite was gorgeous and looked out over the front of the hotel to the shops below. The only problem was the room was very cold and after asking twice the heating was still off, but the night duty manager brought two heaters for us to keep warm. If the room hadn't been so cold I would have rated this lovely hotel 5/5. We will definitely stay here again if we have the pleasure of visiting Birmingham. It is a lovely city.

Room Tip: If you can afford it choose a suite. Ours was lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear goldgalaxycat

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, I am sorry to hear you had problems with the heating in your bedroom. I am happy to hear Night Manager was able to resolve this issue for you during your stay.

James

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night recently & as there was some fair going on the price was relatively high. However, as we were arranging a late check out, the receptionist added a complimentary breakfast, which was much appreciated. The breakfast was the usual continental buffet, with cooked items to order and was quite nice.

Location - very central - walking distance to Bullring, next to New Street station etc.

Comfort - good - executive room was spacious and it was pleasant to have a room with a bit of character. Bed very comfortable, with feather pillows (which I like). Minimal toiletries however.

Staff - very professional & friendly, both in reception & at breakfast.

Cleaniness - very good

The only downside for us was that there was a function going on near our room, with loud thumping music until 1am. We were out late so didn't go to bed until 12.45am so it wasn't too bad for us, but would have been awful if we had wanted an early night. I suggest that when you check in, you ask for a room well away from the function room, if this is important to you & they have a function going on.

Overall, we would happily stay again (in a quiet room!!)

Room Tip: Check whether there is a function going on & request a room as far away as possible if there is...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear jaclh

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay with us; however, may I sincerely apologise for the noise disturbances you experienced. We are usually very good at allocating bedrooms which may be affected by function noise to guests actually attending the function. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and we have let ourselves down.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

James

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Arrived after a hard day at the trade fair
Paid £150 a night through super break 2 night stay
Waited in a queue to check in 1 receptionist
Got to our room to find a twin room at the back of the hotel with a noise that sounded like a airplane taking off
Out side the window was a noisy box thing god knows what
Went down to reception to report it waited in a 10 minute queue was told someone would come to our room to sort it
Waited 30 mins no one came
Met duty manager on the stairs who agreed to change our room but for a double bed sharing with my sister as long as I get some sleep don't mind I thought
Oh my god the next room we have been given there is construction work going on outside how are we going to sleep so noisy , lots of complaining going on at reception not only that the cups in the room are dirty the bathroom is full of dust I just want to go home yet we are booked in for one more night how can they charge us ithis sort of money for this

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a very nice hotel in a very good location in Birmingham - I don't think it could have been more central! Depite this, we got a good night's sleep in a very comfortable bed. We were in an executive room, and got two comfortable chairs and a table, as well as a desk chair (I've been in so many hotels where the only place to sit is on the bed, so this is a real treat.) The bathroom was a nice size with a lovely shower. Hotel staff friendly, with an efficient check in and check out. The building is a fine nineteenth century hotel (an old Midland Hotel) and although it has been updated it has a number of the more pleasant historic features. All in all, very pleasing place to be.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Historrygrrrl

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be friendly. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We gotba good deal which included breakfast, otherwise the breakfast was very expensive - as I suppose all city hotels are nowadays.
Room was small and bed even smaller - but clean and good enough for a couple of nights

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Magellan62

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Comfortable hotel beside a noisy building site
The plusses; comfortable, nicely located, excellent/attentive staff. So all in all, ideal for a trip to Birmingham.

The big minus: Birmingham New St is being renovated. I was awoken at 2 a.m. to the sound of steel being cut. It was extremely loud! This continued for an hour. I called reception and they said they would speak to the builders. The noise was still going at 4 am. Apparently the builders had moved construction "inside" - but there's no walls on the building at any rate. I did manage to get a new room, but was shattered the next day and this totally ruined my working day.
I did highlight the problem with reception the following day, the said the manager was looking into it. Maybe they can resolve the issues with the nocturnal builders. Still a voucher or some such would have being nice as compensation for me.

This is not the hotel's fault per se, but if you are travelling there ask for a room that does not face onto the building work.

Room Tip: rooms facing onto stephenson st might be noisy
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank colicoli

Dear colicoli

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced as a result of the Birmingham New Street development program.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you we were unaware of any planned over night noisy works. The contractors involved in the development are not allowed to commence such works without first discussing them with the local businesses which may be affected. We work tirelessly with the project management team to ensure our guests are not adversely affected by construction noise. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and I assure you this has been addressed with Project Manager. .

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your comments to my attention and I do hope my assurances will afford me the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Burlington in the very near future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Really Enjoyed our time at the Burlington Hotel . Staff very Charming and helpful.
Very well located close to New Street Station and the Bull Ring.

Rooms very clean and tidy

Good Value with Winter Break we upgraded our room. The £25 Value for the Dinner was Great Value and very enjoyable.

Will be coming back soon.

Took trip out to Bournville to discover the conservation area and Cadburys world .

Really inspired by Mr Cadburys Housing / Quaker village and that he looked after his employees so well

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MarkB109

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and in particular found our staff to be charming and helpful. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.