“Just the place for lunch”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Just the place for lunch”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Burlington Hotel has a small bar upstairs where they do locally- and Scottish-sourced light snacks. The prawn baguette was very very good. It's a Victorian building with mahogany and brass and marble - and something of a secret in the Burlington Arcade just off New Street. It's very different to your average busy chains and well worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill D
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Bill D

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed a prawn baguette in our bar and the Victorian surroundings to your liking. At the Macdonald Burlington Hotel, we do pride ourselves on delivering first-class service and our chefs work from whole raw ingredients using only the finest and freshest local and Scottish sourced produce.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Staff and service excellent. Very friendly with time to show real concern for guests. First room quite small but was upgraded as few other guests that night.
D,B&B package was good value. Quality of the food was very good. Will definitely return.
Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank miltongroove
Dear miltongroove

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear you found your first room quite small; however, I am delighted to note you were upgraded and found our staff, service and food to be excellent. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I would like to say that myself & my partner have just seen the New Year 2013 in at the Burlington & thouroughly enjoyed our stay.
The room & service was excellent & the hotel is positioned smack bang in the middle of town.
At this point i have to say a special thankyou to Neila & Richard who made our stay what it was, very profesional & polite people with a 'nothing is to much trouble' attitude, a credit to the Macdonnald group.
We will most definately be returning to the Burlington again & would advise anyone to do the same.
Thankyou again Neila & Richard for a wonderful experience & topping off our 2013 New Year's celebrations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave J
Dear Dave J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to note you and your partner enjoyed seeing in the New Year with us and in particular found Neila and Richard to be very professional and polite. I have shared your kind feedback with them as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The room was a good quality, and also very clean. I stayed here for one night to visit the birmingham hippodrome and it was ideally located for this. The staff were brilliant, credit to the hotel. The only thing is that the noise from the high street out side was a little disturbing at 7am on a sunday morning. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly c
Dear Kelly c

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

May I sincerely apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced early on the Sunday morning of your stay; however, I am delighted to note overall you enjoyed your stay.

In particular I am very happy you found our staff were brilliant and your room to be of a good quality and clean. I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

London
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The room felt small, but was fine, and the bed very comfortable. The hotel itself felt very "grand".

Service left a little to be desired, particularly on the breakfast front. First the receptionist hadn't given me a voucher for the breakfast I had paid for, so when I went to breakfast I was initially made to feel like it was an issue for me to eat there. The breakfast person then commented about how reception were always doing that - which isn't professional.

The customer experience and attention to detail was poor: I wasn't told where the buffet area was for breakfast (confusingly, you have to go back out of the breakfast room to find it); my table was missing some basics (such as butter); little honey jar on my table had already been opened; and often there were no staff visible (even though there were only a few customers).

Simple things to improve, but makes a big difference to customer experience.

Also, disappointing that in a hotel of this size and star rating, there was no on-site fitness centre (you'd need to leave the hotel to go to an external gym - where you'd need to pay extra). Was this an easyjet hotel in disguise?!

On the upside, the location was great, the bed was comfortable, and the hot breakfast was tasty.

I'd stayed at the Macdonald Hotel in Edinburgh the week before; and my experience there was much better than the Burlington in Birmingham.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear CSK38

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with service at the hotel and in particular at breakfast. At the Macdonald Burlington Hotel we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of customer service; however, on this occasion we appear to have let ourselves down. Let me assure you this is not the usual standard you can expect from a Macdonald Hotel.

Unfortunately we do not have an on-site fitness centre; however, in order to provide a facility to our guests we have managed to negotiate a very reasonable rate of £5.00 per day at Fitness4Less, located on Stephenson Street at the rear of the hotel.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was originally allocated a room which was the approximate dimensions of my en-suite at home - fine for 1 night, not so great for 3 particularly when I'd booked a double room. However, when I rang reception to request a different room, they were fantastic! No problem at all about reallocating me and I was given a totally amazing room - 4 poster bed, bathroom with a bath and a shower.

Throughout my stay, the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, it was a pleasure staying and I would stay again. I felt the room service food wasn't great - desserts were fab but main courses were poor, particularly the pizza and fish & chips. However, again, the service was great and reception staff were happy to hear both the good and the bad on checkout. I would definitely stay here again, I really felt like they wanted to look after me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear pralinehalo

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear you found your first room quite small; however, I am delighted to note when you rang reception the service you received was fantastic and the room you moved to was to your liking. In particular I am very happy to hear the staff were caring and friendly towards you throughout your stay and I have shared your kind feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

I am also sorry to hear overall you were not happy with our room service offering. The points you raise are of valuable importance to us as it is only through customer feedback we are able to monitor and improve our service for the future. Next time you stay may I suggest you join us in our Scottish Steak Club and I am confident you will find something that exceeds your expectations.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a constructive review.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

was looking for a hotel in birmingham and walked in here was meet by a friendly face made me feel like i had been here before richard on reception couldn't do enough to make me feel welcome . The rooms were great beds didnt feel like they had been slept in by someone else before, the bathrooms are massive great shower. breakfast was outstanding for the value. if you need to stay near to birmingham town centre for any reason would stay here again

Room Tip: rooms are great all round feels like you've stepped back in time