“Not impressed!”

Macdonald Burlington Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed for a long weekend recently to see the Christmas Market. Overbooked and tried to move us on arrival! Best thing about this hotel is it's central position. Comfortable but 'corporate' feel to bedroom. Service poor, breakfast mediocre and prices of other food and drink in bars extortionate. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear DavidStern

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations

I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed here as the client I was working for was holding their meeting in this hotel the next day so didn't check any reviews or even think about staying anywhere else.

I had pre-booked and paid in advance on two non refundable double rooms however when we arrived at reception for check in at about 19:30, the guy on reception asked if we would be willing to share a twin room. Erm...."no, not at all" was the reply from me, at which point he got embarrassed and indicated that the hotel was overbooked and he was simply following instructions to ask from his manager.

Anyway, we got our separate room keys and I was given a twin room and my business partner had a double. Even though I had booked these rooms at the same time and paid exactly the same price (£135 each) and specifically ordered doubles, we had two very different rooms, his was certainly more spacious and pleasant looking than mine.

So then. The room itself. Creaking floorboards, non level flooring with furniture that was subsequently leaning away from the wall, wires trailing all over the wall from telephone points, wires bodged up with tape, a rotten wooden bath panel, light bulbs that required renewing, a stained fabric chair, scratched and chipped tables, full tea/coffee set minus a kettle anywhere in the room, the noise of an extractor fan outside going off at random times, the stunning view of extraction tunnels and filthy air conditioning units right outside the window and all topped off with a smell of damp throughout the room.

Absolutely incredible to think that a chain thinks that offering accommodation such as this is in any way acceptable. It was like being in a boarding house or DSS hostel with a landlord who's only interest was in profit maximisation.

Whilst my business partner had a better room, he was going to take a shower the following morning, but then decided against it when as soon as he turned on the shower, an overpowering smell of the drains started to come up.........and let me tell you, it was the first that that I could smell when I entered his room.

The dining room for breakfast was very nice, although the continental buffet selection was looking depleted and tired when we arrived (8:30am) and it is in a completely separate room from the main dining area (due to capacity issues).

On the positive side, all of the staff that we encountered were very pleasant, really wanted to help and gave the impression of caring. With this in mind, I can only assume that there is a management issue at this hotel with a focus on margins. Having their hotel overbooked is not my problem and based upon the two rooms and structural issues (drainage/damp) I encountered as well as the fact that my room needed a complete refurbishment, investment does not appear to be a priority.

Appalling for the price I paid. It was a business trip and I needed a bed for the night, however if I had booked this as a leisure trip The Burlington would have received far more direct feedback from me than a Tripadvisor review.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.....it'll likely be cheaper and better
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Julesbusiness

Dear Julesbusiness

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear overall the Macdonald Burlington Hotel did not meet your expectations.

We pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of product and customer service; however, on this occasion we have let ourselves down. Let me assure you this is not the usual standard you can expect from a Macdonald Hotel.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Was expecting something special for breakfast. Nice dining room with polite attentive waiters. But 17.50 for a breakfast and you get one egg. Bacon,tomato and mushrooms overcooked. The bhs breakfast across the road for 1.99 may have been a better choice. Come on either lower your prices or improve the quality!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank KevinmcMc

Dear KevinmcMc

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry to hear our breakfast did not meet your expectations; our breakfast offering is normally well received.

We offer a full service breakfast which includes tea, coffee, toast and a freshly cooked breakfast all served to your table; furthermore, a very extensive continental buffet is also included within the price. Discounted breakfast prices are available when booked as part of a bedroom package.

I would be delighted to discuss your experience with you directly and would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide. I can be contacted on opsmgr.19@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here overnight last week with a work friend. Ive stayed at this groups hotels before and not found them to be the best, but I thought well ill be fair and be open minded and see.

Checkin was fine, no problems. we had diner in the resturant, the food was fine, but expensive.
Probably why the place was dead, we got a nice table by the window which was nice.
Staff were courteous and polite. the meal had been good and I was going to order a coffee to round of nicely, that is, until I saw they wanted £4.66 for it.
To my mind thats ridiculous and as a point of principle I popped next door and got a coffee for £1.50.
The room was a nice double, a bit small and the bathroom was massive.
clean and comfortable.
The internet in the room was free, now that was a pleasant surprise.
Breakfast was fine, again the resturant was dead, i wondered why until I saw the Price. (I had it included in price) it was over £17. thats way over the top and too boot if you wanted kipper or egg benidict you had to pay £2.50 extra.

Overall, I was actually pleasantly surprised with this hotel, but the "extras" are over the top.
I noticed a sign on the reception charging another £2.50 to pay by credit card.
This is where this chain lets itself down very badly. pay extra for this, that and everything.
If you stay here get a deal with breakfast included and an eve meal all in if you wish,cause once here you will pay through the nose.
Yes, the floorboards do creak a bit in the corridors and in the rooms, but i dont mind, it gives the place character.
Had it not been for all the penny pinching id have marked much higher.

Id stay again, but only if all was included in the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We traveled by train on Sat 1st Dec from Mcr Piccadilly to Birmingham New St, We called at the hotel on the way to Bike Show Live @ the NEC to drop of our luggage, then hopped on a local train for 10 min to NEC.
The main reason for our visit to Birmingham was the bike show but the trip turned out to be so much more ! The MacDonald Burlington Hotel is a Fantastic base to visit this wonderful city.

The Christmas Markets in Birmingham are second to none and not exaggerating must be a mile long with in excess of 60 stalls, the food , drink and atmosphere were amazing.

The Shops along New St and the Bullring Shopping center are a shoppers delight and a big thank you to the friendly people of this wonderful city.

We had an amazing time and the MacDonald Burlington was the icing on the cake, lots of character and that doesn't mean in need of refurbishment ! it is smart, and refined in a perfect location, with staff who are a credit to the management and a fantastic room 324,we look forward to returning next year, a big thank you from Paul and Joanne Williams.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Wow, we have just had a lovely weekend in Birmingham to visit friends and go to the German markets. The hotel is absolutely lovely, centrally located fab rooms especially bathroom! Friendly staff welcoming.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just had 2 wonderful nights in room 501 very clean, comfortable and after reading all the other reviews my stay was absolutely fantastic for pre Christmas weekend, close to all the lovely things that Birmingham has to offer.

The staff were very friendly and all well trained in their roles. Will definitely stay here again with no hesitation my top choice for this time of year.