Macdonald Burlington Hotel
$107
$90
Novotel
$40
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
$88
$99
Travelocity
$151
$136
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
$99
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
3,112 results
All reviewsnew street stationlovely hoteltrain stationcity centreexcellent locationcooked breakfastgerman marketexecutive roomreception staffchristmas marketa lovely staycentral birminghamlovely roomenjoyable stayfull englishbreakfast was excellentbull ring
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here Sat 29th Oct. All the staff are helpful and friendly, our room was one of the larger rooms with a huge bed and also a seating area. Room was very clean and spacious. Couldnt not fault this for a one or two night stay if you're staying in Birmingham!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This old hotel was clearly once majestic but the luxury has faded in places. My deluxe room was not much bigger than a walk in cupboard with a massive bathroom. It was also at the back of the hotel so only had a view of the plumbing and venting machinery. This machinery is also very loud and getting to sleep reminded me of being on a plane with the constant hum of the engines.
Some fixtures were broken in the bathroom which made it look cheap and tacky and I spent twenty minutes trying to get hot water to come out of the shower.
I was relieved to check out and I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Avoid the ones which overlook the air conditioning machinery and don't pay any attention to terms such as deluxe because this must mean something different in Birmingham. Deluxe means nothing in this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DrDharma
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Having stayed at the Burlington four years ago we were really excited about returning. Sadly this excitement did not last long.

Before arrival we tried to call to book a place for dinner. I got through straight away but received no answer for a full fifteen minutes – however busy a hotel is there is no excuse to not answer when someone is phoning for so long. Instead I emailed, but again – no reply.
On arrival at the hotel we were told they had not received our room reservation, but “don’t worry, we have rooms”. Not the greatest start, and in actual fact they did finally find our information.

When we got to the room we soon felt like we had been given the last let room. The first thing we noticed was the out of place rug over the carpet. On inspection, sure enough, it was covering a huge stain which by its colour was either blood or red wine (hopefully the latter).

Next thing I noticed was the noise, which I thought was coming from the aircon unit. I checked but it wasn’t even on! I looked out of the window and saw the issue – we basically overlooked the Burlington Power station! The nosiest aircon units I have ever heard (and that was with the windows closed). This meant for a terrible nights sleep, but I can only imagine it being even worse in the summer if you had to actually open the windows.

We phoned room service to ask for some ice, wine glasses and a knife. The service was prompt (within 5 minutes), but only the ice was delivered so we had to make do with the glasses in the bathroom for our wine.

After a terrible nights sleep (despite an exceptionally comfy bed) we had our room service breakfast delivered. Again, very disappointing. Barely half a mushroom, 2 bits of the most overcooked and shrivelled up bacon and a tiny sausage. The pastries came with no jams to enjoy them with and there was barely enough butter for the toast and no salt and pepper or sauces. A real lack of attention to detail and terrible value for money.

All in all we left with a very disappointed feeling that somewhere we had enjoyed so much before was so poor this time round. The receptionist neglected to ask about our stay, but to be honest with such a long queue for check out we would have been a little embarrassed to go through the stay and hold them up further.

Needless to say we will not be back, and sadly will have to try alternatives on our next trip to Birmingham. A real shame as we thought we had found a gem in the Burlington.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ketteringblade
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed here one night on a business,it is right in the middle of Birmingham where all the shops and resturants are and very close to the main train station.The staff are very helpful, friendly with good service, sometimes hard to find these day's. A very old building but with a modern twist. The rooms are small with a old fashioned light fittings and pitcutres but a lovely modern bathroom with a great walk in shower.

The food in the resturant is a little expensive considering there are lots of resturants in walking distance near the bull ring shopping centre but the food in the hotel resturant was excellent. Breakfast in the morning was again a high standard with a good veggie cooked breakfast on offer as well as a great choice of continental breakfast. I would stay here again if I should come back on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Single bed rooms are small, so a double room maybe better for space?
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We only went to the hotel for a break from shopping and had a bar meal. Even though we were not quests in the hotel, this was not questioned and we had an excellent meal. Excellent service too.

Within short walking distance of the Bull Ring and the railway station, ideally situated.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family