“Christmas market don't waste your time!!”
Review of Victoria Square

Victoria Square
Ranked #49 of 265 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This square has been changed recently from a grassy slope used for picnics during summer days to a European-style pedestrian plaza that is accessible throughout the year.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I took my 10 year old to birmingham for her birthday at the weekend and thought we would checkout the German Christmas market whilst we were there,the crowds were horrendous (which is to be expected this time of year) but i thought the stalls were rubbish (to put it lightly) if you want a beer,a sausage,a candle or an overpriced ornament then it's for you!! All the stalls seemed to have the same thing so not much variety.very bored and couldn't wait to get back home!!i for one will definately not be visiting at this time of year again and I only gave the German market 1 star because I couldn't give none.the only positive is that the lights and decs in birmingham city centre look lovely.

4  Thank SamanthaCov
in 6 reviews
"brum"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

I decided to visit the German Christmas market this year as my work colleague had said it was brilliant however another work colleague said it was disappointing but I decide to give it a go.
As I was going on my own I decided to go by coach as a local firm was doing a trip but now I wished I'd gone by train.
We arrived just at about 10:30 and at first it wasn't too bad and even though it took my a while to get my bearings and find out where things were I thought it was going to be a good day but by lunch time I was ready to come home.
I knew it was going to be busy but it was so packed that I couldn't look at any of the stalls as people were just shoving me out of the way, I don't know what it is about this time of year or if it's because people just have a lack of manners but all I can say is some people are just so damn rude.
I wandered up one side of the market and back down the other trying to look at the stalls but couldn't stop at any as there were too many people but to be honest I didn't really see anything that I wanted to buy.
I was too hectic for me and it was freezing cold so I decided to go into the bullring to warm up and that was a big mistake as it was extremely busy too.
I know it gets busy everywhere this time of year but it was ridiculous, I even had to queue to use the escalator and trying to find somewhere to get some lunch was madness but I managed to find an uncomfortable stone seat thing to sit on and just watch the madness around me.
I couldn't wait for 4:45 to arrive to catch the coach back home.
The bullring is lovely but not at this time of year and there weren't very many places to sit and have a rest.
Overall a disappointing trip to Birmingham and maybe it's because I visited at the weekend and I was on my own and at times found it a little intimidating in the crowds however I don't think I'll be finding out if it's any different during the week.
Disappointed

Reviewed December 7, 2014

First time I visited Victoria Square and took advantage of the German Market stalls. The craft ones weren't anything special but I enjoyed the German food stands which sold sausages.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

This was our second visit. As last year, the best section was in Victoria Square, where my wife and I enjoyed excellent Bratwurst, Gluehwein and Pretzels. On looking round at the various pretty stalls, we were astonished at some of the prices being charged - eg a packet of the same brand of Spekulatius biscuits for £3.50 that my wife had bought in the 99p shop and 2 small Stollen for £10 "special offer" available much more cheaply at Aldi or Lidl. Overall a little too expensive to buy presents at and there could have been more variety. Will not be visiting next year .

See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2014

We visited the market on Saturday 6th December with friends from Birmingham, which was best for us as we would probably have missed some of it. Yes the stalls all sell the same stuff and yes the food is expensive but it is Christmas so worth the additional few £, and the whole area came alive, helped no doubt by the weather being cold but dry. It was a nice way to spend a few hours and would recommend it provided you keep an open mind that it is Birmingham and not Germany! Will be back next year.