“More a recreation ground than a 'park'”

Sheldon Country Park
Ranked #56 of 293 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This 96-acre working farm brings the country right to city dwellers offering guided nature walks and other popular events.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I live close to this park and felt I should defend some of the reviews on here! ;) It's not a traditional 'park' in my opinion, more of a large area of grass for kids to play (football etc) on and lots of people walk dogs/run round it, but it's not the sort of place I would think 'must go and visit that park' like I would Cannon Hill or Brueton. That said, once you're in it you can forget you're in the middle of a city/housing estate, it's really quite big! I like to walk all the way up to Marston Green train station, past the end of the airport runway, it's a really nice walk. There is also a small farm with a few animals and a cafe which can get very busy and noisy on a sunny day! There is also the annual fun-day - this weekend coming as it happens - which is great for people with small children. We don't have any but still enjoy and walk round and and an ice-cream!
To sum up: it's not a park with flowers, but is great for kids to have a run around or for a pic-nic.

5  Thank Cadburymisshape
"marston green"
in 8 reviews
"airport runway"
in 5 reviews
"planes take off and land"
"watching planes"
"egg sandwich"
"children love"
"viewing area"

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

A perfect venue for a sunny day, beautiful landscapes, planes and moo cows, all for free :) great for a walk or bike ride, either to escape the kids or tire them out ha x

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I went to Birmingham to see an old friend. I took my son who is 8 years old. my friend has a son who's 7 we wanted to take them out so my friend said lets go to the farm park . so off we went i was a bit worried as after paying for my flue i only had a small amount of money left. when we arrived it was lovely all green fields a big new up-to date park lots of farm animals to look round. it was as if we are in the countryside u would not believe you was in the middle of Birmingham what an oasis and it was all free. i said to my friend we should have brought a picnic she said that she likes to spend a little in the tea rooms there as she feels she is suporting the farm. so off we went in the tea rooms . the tea rooms turned out to be a really old quant little farm house and so well kept. my friend and i both had coffee and sandwiches that had made fresh to order the children had hot sausage sandwiches and slush drinks . to my suppress the lot came to about 10 pounds @ that point i said my treat . what a bargain at these prices it really was like stepping back in time . when we finished all that. the children played and my friend and i had a coffee and cake and a good old chat. my only problem is i wish that park and tea room was where i live. very good food very good service and very good value for money [ thank you for a lovely day out] i hope the local people of sheldon know how lucky they are .

2  Thank SarahLoughborough
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great for a good walk to shake off the cobwebs. Nothing to dislike - it was a nice open space. Plenty of greenery, and if you like aeroplanes you can stand under the flight path of the airport.

2  Thank Lamabads