“Very interesting”

Museum of the Jewellery Quarter
Ranked #7 of 283 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the skill of the jeweller's craft and enjoy a unique tour of an original jewellery factory, which traces the 200-year history of the ancient crafting skills that made Birmingham the centre of the British jewellery industry.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had been meaning to go for a long time as I live in the area. There's much much more to see than you would expect from the outside.The tour was really informative and interesting - the staff obviously have a passion for what they do. I think more could be made of the cafe area but as a council establishment I can see that it would be expensive to set up.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
rowley regis
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Loved every second”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I will admit the place is a little dusty and cramped but what would you expect from a old worksop. The surrounding area is nice and the tours always have a friendly tour guide and the best bit is at the end you usually get a little souviner which completes the day. Don't miss it if your in the area

Visited November 2012
Solihull, United Kingdom
153 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Great little museum”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had a fascinating look into this jewellery factory. Doors closed in 1981 when owners closed the doors and walked away. Its like a time capsule, even though the doors closed in the 80's the working methods had not changed from the opening of the factory. Very informative guide who demonstrated the varies pieces of equipment and processes. Fascinated to see the office area, which was totally Victorian in its layout and content - the electrics are a sight to behold! Well worth a visit.

Visited February 2013
Lichfield, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Shiny pretty things with style”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The curators, the lay out and its the heritage of Birmingham which is just so important and its educational

Visited May 2012
New Forest, UK
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Smaller than I thought, I would say don't go out your way to do, & it costs £5”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Very polite pleasant woman on reception. I had already been to 2 museums/galleries that day since my train arrived in Birmingham.So this visit was tacked on the end.

I was too late for last guided tour (at 1530). So nice reception lady let me in for free to look at main galleries and requested donation, as she saw I had carted a full backpack all the way.

I am not really into jewellery, but were some useful facts on alloys for jewellery. I did learn that that 9 carrot gold is only about 34% gold and if you want to know what the rest is you will have to visit!

I think an admin fee of £2-3 would be more appropriate and get more people in the door.

I do stress that I did *not* do the tour so I dont know what else there was to see, other than the 2 small floors ("display rooms") I walked myself around.

There may?? have been another floor/room as part of the tour that I was not part of. But all other areas were closed off when I was there post the last tour.

Visited January 2013