“A breath of fresh air”
Review of Kings Heath Park

Kings Heath Park
Ranked #65 of 293 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: The location of the BBC's Gardeners World, this delightful park serves as a family gathering place for picnics and recreation.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our first visit to the park on the hottest day of the year..
We were surprised by the vast space & quietness of the park (the busy main road only a stones throw away)
The tea room was a dream, & the tea we drank was tasty & at a fair price.
There were toilet facilities nearby but (they were quite grubby) & a mini lake to see (which did need a good clean & tidy up). Yet there were a few ducks/birds splashing about in it.
However we were very impressed by the amount of benches to sit down on, they were everywhere, so no need to search for a place to rest.
All in all a great place to spend a little me time, or to take the family...

2  Thank Ladytrance

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I grew up going to this park and have fond memories of the Aviery with Rocky the Minah Bird, also when they did Gardeners World there, back then there always seemed so much to do, on going recently its been neglected. Such a shame but still a nice walk round if u can doge the dog dirt.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The park is beautiful, scenic and has good accessibility and amenities. The tearoom is a lovely place to meet up with friends. The park itself hosts many events throughout the year and is so pretty over summer when the flowers are in bloom. it has good parking but is also easily accessible by bus.

1  Thank H H
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Great place for walking dogs and in doing so you'll most likely bump into dogs first thing in morning or late afternoon. I have been visiting this park from the age of a toddler with several play areas and plenty of grass for those that love a bit of footy. Tea rooms are nothing to get excited about, you are best off visiting local shops for drinks and ice creams! Generally clean and litter for free - one of the better parks in Birmingham, particularly South brum!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visit this park about once or twice a week. There are other parks closer to where we live, but this park is the only park we know of that has toilet facilities that are clean and fine to use. The park also has a car park but spaces are limitied and I have seen many people have to turn and leave. The park needs some work and updating. There is a large pond that could look beautiful but it has been neglected and now resembles a smelly swamp. The landscapes also need some work as they too, have been neglected. There is a childrens play area, a tennis court and a bowling green. There is also an on site nursery, where you can purchase flowers, plants etc but this closes at 2.30 or 3pm. This could be a very beautiful park if only the council would spend some money on it.

On a separate note I would like to say the following with regards to the Victorian tea rooms which are located at the centre of Kings Heath Park:-

Myself and my husband have been regular customers of these tea rooms for several years. We go out of our way to visit these tea rooms as we like the pleasant atmosphere and the quality of coffee and food. Having said that this is not the cheapest cafe in the world, a pot of coffee for two and two lots of sandwiches comes to about £13.00. One of the main reasons we go is that this one of the few park cafes that has toilet facilities and onsite parking. Over the years the family who run the tea rooms have come to know us and we were more than happy to sign their petition to keep the tea rooms run by the family and we genuinely felt for them when they were temporarily closed down by the council. Today (14th May) I decided to treat my husband and my parents to afternoon cream teas as it was my husbands 50th Birthday. Upon arrival we noticed lots of people heading for the the rooms and that some of these people were giving us unpleasant looks. I have no idea why. We entered the tea rooms, which was very busy with lots of elderly customers drinking wine or champagne. Such was the amound of people myself and my parents could not get through the crowd, but my husband managed to get to the counter where he spoke with the owner. My husband asked if he could make an order and was told rather abruplty NO. When my husband asked why he was told, again rather abruplty, that there was a private function in process. My husband was turned away and was acutely embarressed, as were we all. Everyone turned to look at us in a rather derogatory manner, and I felt very much for my husband who felt humiliated. No apology was made to us and no offer was made for us to return another day. We all scuttled out like some unwanted group of tramps, made to feel by everyone in the tea rooms, as unwelcome in the extreme. We feel very much let dowin by the owner who knows very well we are regular loyal customers. The reaction to our refusal to be served by the other customers, was totally unwarranted. We all returned home feeling rather upset. This is the thanks we get for supporting this business. There are several other venues we could go to that are much nearer home, which from now on we will visit. The cafe does not accept credit or debit cards, which at times has caused us some real inconvenience, but we have, once again, gone out of our way to get some cash, in order that we may visit this establishment. We will never be going back there and neither will any of our family and friends after the way we were treated.

19  Thank diamondlady11